who can give you a black belt?

the local martial arts store, for about five bucks, ten for a really nice belt.

faxiamonkey,

Where at in Tennessee?

Mickey

Most arts I've ever seen hold the philosophy that once you are given the authorization to teach, you can promote others up to the rank below your own, whatever rank that may be. I always thought that seemed pretty fair.

outside of Nashville. In Antioch. We moved there last February and started out school officially in January of this year. American Mixed Martial Arts.

faxiamonkey,
email me at mickeyswafford@hotmail.com when you get a chance.

thanks

Mickey

Grizzly_Gym: While it's been covered extremely well here already, I know that in lots of traditional arts, you can rank somebody to 2 ranks below your current rank (or up to 1 rank below your current rank, if you have 2 other people at your rank to authorize it).

So as a 2nd dan in karate, I could grade somebody to brown belt. Or, if I had 2 other 2nd dan's, I could grade somebody to 1st dan.

This seems to justify a previous point that different systems promote in different ways. I am of the opinion that blue belts know up to a blue belt level, purple to purple, etc., etc., and should be able to promote to that level.

That seems a little oversimplified, when one receives a brown belt let's say...That individual if having received the rank in official capacity would have to have at least the minimum requirements for that rank and therefore be able to judge up to those particular requirements with proficientcy. I personlly have been involved with testings for black belt, but have never awarded one myself. I am certain that it would be recognized were I to do so, but personally would not without at least my instructor's permission being myself a 1st degree.

Faxia: Obviously you have a better understanding of BJJ ranking than I do, but to me it seems odd to be able to grade somebody to your current rank.

After you pass through a rank, you can look back at it objectively and see what you think it needs to be successful or well represented there; however, when you're actualy at that rank, you may have much different assumptions about what is necessary. That's why I like the idea of a buffer of at least one rank difference (ie brown can grade to purple, purple to blue); you can look back and say "My instructor thought I did EVERYTHING I needed to in that rank to get my new one, so what was that?" It gives some additional perspective about what's expected.

I definately agree with your overall point velt1, but in an official sense as far as bjj is concerned it really depends on the situation. For example, I earned faixa preta June 6th, 1998. I have promoted up to 3rd faixa morrum(brown 3rd degree) before, but not black even in that long a timeframe because I have yet to have the opportunity to do so personally and out of respect for my instructor who usually handles the testing and promotion for that belt personally if available or will have immediate representatives promote and test. I, however, recieved in this fashion my rank under a 1st degree (at the time, he now holds a second degree and teaches in Brazil at Barra) as my instructor had closed his West Hollywood School and moved back to Brazil. I tested(still having nightmares about that)and it is universally recognized even without a trip to Brazil myself. This is my point, that it varies by situation. I may have a different perspective than that of black belt B or black belt C, but the belt is still black and I had certain requirements to receive it. Anything like personal prejudices against use of certain moves or use of techniques evolved for my particular body style are an afterthought and therefore my own assumptions become irrelevant when I look at the core requirements. I do reccomend research and permission from your qualified instructor before attempting to promote people yourself to any level.

On another note, some federations may have different requirements for instructors specifically, not just those who earn a black belt. I know blue, purple, and brown belts who are gearing their education specifically toward instruction and WILL probably not require a 2nd degree or higher to promote within their respective organization to the black belt rank when they themselves acheive it. A perfect example is Murilo Bustamante. He awarded a Faixa preta ranking to "Minotauro" when he was himself a first degree at the time before departing our school for Top Team. Would this be considered illegitimate? Should his ranking be questioned? I would say no because he has evolved his game to that level of skill and expertise that is easily recognized among other black belts of any degree.

Not to mention he(meaning Mino) is also the greatest heavyweight in the universe, of course.

How long has Minotauro been Black, Since Bustamante is a 4 th degree from what ive read and I believe he was the highest rank still training under Carlson when everybody made the big breakaway.

Minotauro has been a black since at least 1997, but I am unsure about that. Murilo earned a second degree from Carlson Sr. some time before the break and any additional promotion was not from before the creation of Top Team to my knowledge, but he was a first degree at the time of Mino's promotion and of this I am certain.

This is ultimately correct, however, Murilo is credited for the promotion and is still training with Mino without affiliation with Carlson Sr. any longer.

Excellent thread.

Whoever has the power to archive this thread I urge them to do so.

Faxiamonkey's post are full of excellent info and insight which helps one to put things into perspective.

How do I see archived threads?

thanks!

I would like to see this archived as well, there are a lot of people that actively seek this information all the time, and thanks m.g!!