Who do you have as the second greatest tennis player of all-time?

federer was better and more dominant in his actual prime than either djokovic or nadal. his prime lasted longer than nadal’s, too. we’ll see with djokovic, but novak has a few unfortunate asterisks in his career even besides the australian open debacle.

as of right now, open era top ten:

federer
nadal
djokovic
sampras
borg
lendl
mcenroe
agassi
becker
conners

if you included pre-open era i’d put laver in there somewhere.

Penus Williams

6 Likes

I’ll allow it.

5 Likes

Plus he used a wooden raquet… like a poor person!

2 Likes

In his prime, he had much easier competition and Nadal and Djokovic weren’t in their prime.

This all gets so convoluted, which is why you really just have to go by grand slam titles and then head to head.

2 Likes

Legit LOL

1 Like

He used a tiny, dumb, wooden racquet.

2 Likes

Marat Safin is the most fun player to watch, mainly because he broke about 2 or 3 racquets per match by smashing them…

That has to count for something!

3 Likes

I’m going to be an annoying piece of shit and tell you that there is no such thing as a greatest of all time, because time hasn’t finished yet.

There is only the greatest in ‘‘current history’’ since we do not know the future.

However I currently have it as followed,

1.Djokovic
2.Federer
3.Nadal

I have Nadal currently in 3rd due to the following,

• He has too many slams on clay,
  • Has a negative h2h against Federer on grass and hard court and hasn’t beaten him on those surfaces in 8 years.
  • Has a negative h2h against Djokovic, especially on non-clay surfaces.
  • Do not think nadal would of won the Australian open if Djokovic was allowed to play.
  • Djokovic has been screwed out of 3 slams now when he was perfectly healthy, so could already have been at 23 by now.
3 Likes

He’s on the Hothead GOAT list, but that’s another thread.

2 Likes

I love(d) Safin.

All around incredible game. Fucking guy could wail on the baseline from both sides.

3 Likes

Nadal is The Greatest of All The Time There Has Been So Far.

1 Like

As always, you are almost bang on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Former #1 in the world, guy was great!

If he was more mentally strong he could have been even better… but it was way more fun watching him smash his racquet off the ground when he was pissed.

lol

At the time, didn’t he have the record for most consecutive weeks ranked #1?

Greatest on clay maybe… take away the French and that loser only has 8 majors.

Ohhhh he won the same tournament (most different surface) 13 times, real cool guy!

2 Likes

Regardless of records, I still believe prime Sampras wins vs prime anybody else in a best of 5.

I am a Sampras nuthugger to be fair.

2 Likes

Remember when Andy Roddick was going to be the goat after winning the US open? It’s crazy, it feels like he’s been retired forever, but he’s actually one year younger than Federer

That’s not what the word ‘‘all’’ means unfortunately. ‘‘All’’ is the whole amount, quantity, or extent of. All time means the ‘‘whole’’ of time.

That differs from the term ‘‘so far’’.