Who else doesn't care how big a fighter is?

Alot of complaints about Anderson and Bones being too big for their divisions.

I don't care if a dude is 245 lbs. and cuts down to 170, if he does it time and time again (and safely), he is a welterweight.

Naturally, this doesn't include the perpetual weight-missers (Semtex).

Am I alone on this?

I do not care either.

I do not care and neither Anderson or JOnes are even the biggest guys in their division. It's almost as if half of mma fans have not learned the difference between height and weight. Sorry fatties but a guy being tall and skinny does not mean he's cheating.

if you make weight, you make weight.

The bigger cut could also work against them, so its fair.

Jones and Anderson aren't too big for their divisions. The only time I have a slight issue with size is in extreme cases like in the MPumbu/Wiuff. Phone Post

Boston Tar Baby - i think weight cutting in general is gay. i wish it never exsitied, but since it does you cant blame anyone for doing it because everyone does it, and everybody does it because everyone else is doing it. sucks.

u never competed in any sport with weigh ins

Boston Tar Baby - i think weight cutting in general is gay. i wish it never exsitied, but since it does you cant blame anyone for doing it because everyone does it, and everybody does it because everyone else is doing it. sucks.

So a great fighter that happens to weight 176 is shit out of luck?

I don't like weight cutting.. I wouldn't mind if I didn't fight but since I do it sucks! Phone Post

I personally think weigh-in should be the day of the fight.

It will never happen... but it should.

Also.. I may not criticize fighters who cut the maximum weight they can. But I certainly give a TON of credit to the guys who move up in weight to prove somthing and test themselves.

A guy like Anderson is always guarenteed to fight sombody his size or smaller. Tito had the same advantages.

On the other side of it.. you have a guy like Hendo, who has fought arguably the 2 greatest HWs ever in MMA.

Big difference.

Just out of curiosity, isn't the main reason of cutting weight to have a size advantage over your opponent? In North America, almost every fighter cuts weight, so where is the advantage? I guess it's to see how big you can get and how far you can cut to get the biggest advantage possible (although, if you are complete drawn out, I think that advantage becomes slimmer)... Maybe I'm wrong about the purposes of major weight cutting. Can somebody school me on the topic?

Back to the point, I agree with the OP. Phone Post

People who have a trouble with weight cutting are watching the wrong sport. This sport is so complex to begin with. Fighters need to stay in their proper weight class unless there is a drastic difference in style, body type, and age.

onepunchJD - On the other side of it.. you have a guy like Hendo, who has fought arguably the 2 greatest HWs ever in MMA.

Big difference.

I agree. I don't mind weight-cutters whatsoever, but when someone doesn't cut weight and does great in their division (or heavier), they do gain some respect from me.

Boston Tar Baby - id love to see weigh ins the day of the fight.

i wonder when weight cutting started, like who were the first people to start doing it. id give them a kcik in the balls.

LOL.. in MMA?

Tito.

SMS89 - Just out of curiosity, isn't the main reason of cutting weight to have a size advantage over your opponent? In North America, almost every fighter cuts weight, so where is the advantage? I guess it's to see how big you can get and how far you can cut to get the biggest advantage possible (although, if you are complete drawn out, I think that advantage becomes slimmer)... Maybe I'm wrong about the purposes of major weight cutting. Can somebody school me on the topic?

It depends, I'm guessing. Some fighters fight at a certain weight because they feel their strongest there. Others want to have a size advantage. Cruz has said that he dropped down to BW to have a size advantage over his opponents and it has served him well.

I don't see anything wrong with this. If you perform better in a certain weight class and you can make wait regularly, then you should fight there. Phone Post

Immaculata - People who have a trouble with weight cutting are watching the wrong sport. This sport is so complex to begin with. Fighters need to stay in their proper weight class unless there is a drastic difference in style, body type, and age.

If weigh-ins were the day of the fight, guys would be in their proper weight class.

You can have very little body fat, and be in great fighting shape on a daily basis.

Cutting water weight the day before a fight, only to put it back on overnight, is a tactic to maintain a size advantage.

Some guys are better at cutting than others. Wrestlers have done it throughout their young lives. So the guys that have cutting down to a science, are going in with an advantage. By saying that everyone has the same oppertunity to cut, you are really saying they should be better weight cutters, and if not though shit.

There is a debate here. But there is nothing wrong with having the opinion that same day weigh-ins would be better.

I happen to be on the losing side of this debate, because cutting is not likley to go away.

But thats OK, because I am on the winning side of another debate.. that a Gi should not be allowed in the cage.

:)

ds1970 -
SMS89 - Just out of curiosity, isn't the main reason of cutting weight to have a size advantage over your opponent? In North America, almost every fighter cuts weight, so where is the advantage? I guess it's to see how big you can get and how far you can cut to get the biggest advantage possible (although, if you are complete drawn out, I think that advantage becomes slimmer)... Maybe I'm wrong about the purposes of major weight cutting. Can somebody school me on the topic?

It depends, I'm guessing. Some fighters fight at a certain weight because they feel their strongest there. Others want to have a size advantage. Cruz has said that he dropped down to BW to have a size advantage over his opponents and it has served him well.

I don't see anything wrong with this. If you perform better in a certain weight class and you can make wait regularly, then you should fight there. Phone Post

I agree, I don't see a problem unless you are cutting improperly and causing irreversible damage to your body. I just don't see where the advantage in relation to size is a lot of the time when it's such a common practice in North America.

I do think guys that often miss weight should get the hint though. Phone Post

DWray - Alot of complaints about Anderson and Bones being too big for their divisions.

I don't care if a dude is 245 lbs. and cuts down to 170, if he does it time and time again (and safely), he is a welterweight.

Am I alone on this?

Easy way to fix weight cutting issues, weigh in on the day of the fight. Phone Post

I could not care less as long as the guy doesn't miss weight routinely.

nubs - 
DWray - Alot of complaints about Anderson and Bones being too big for their divisions.

Am I alone on this?
Easy way to fix weight cutting issues, weigh in on the day of the fight. Phone Post

Heeeeeere we go!

Doesn't matter to me.  

But, I will never in a million years be anything other than a heavyweight... and a big one at that.  Most people who are bigger than me are the squishy kind of big.