Who even wants to be an MMA fighter nowadays?

Disagree.

The talent pool displayed is far below overall what it has been in the past.

Having more cards is a reason for the watering down but not exclusive.

1 Like

In an open market there should be more promotions at the upper levels to show it is prospering.

It is not.

You’ve given him the best possible advise he will need. For so many fighters it’s the only thing they know. A college education will give him a chance to make more money.

1 Like

Of course they will because the UFC does the best at marketing but doesn’t mean the sport hasn’t grown.

How so, exactly?

No it’s not. You are one of those guys who think the NFL and NBA teams of the 80’s would smash modern teams.

I’m assuming you are close to 50 and stuck in your ways.

I did not say it hasn’t grown.

I am saying it isn’t prospering as it should.

@anon56930202

I’m going to assume you feel that old school BJJ would smash the new generation as well?

MMA is fine and still growing.

Sort of like pro-wrestling which is similar to MMA? Oh wait…

1 Like

The overall skill level has diminished and the fighters rely on athleticism far more now.

As it should? If anything, you simply might need to reevaluate your expectations.

LOL!

No.

I am not saying old school guys would smash the new ones

The sport is different now for sure but the athleticism has far outweighed the skill factor.

If you can’t see that it’s because you’re too stuck on winning your argument to think about it.

At no point did I say the old would smash the new.

That is how you interpreted it.

I said the skill level is lower now.

Well damnit Drew, now your son wants to be a fighter. I think the college degree stipulation is a good idea. I would definitely tell my son to do whatever he wanted, but would absolutely try to steer him away from being a fighter. He will always train though.

1 Like

MMA and pro-wrestling are not the same, and even if you look at it’s promoted outside of the competition aspect even the WWE promotes it fighters as stars to come and see. The UFC rarely does that anymore.

Disagree again.

If anything, the level of athleticism has grown so much in the sport you can’t just rely on skill at the highest level anymore.

1 Like

Well of course they are more athletic. The old school guys were usually one traditional martial art versus another art. As the sport developed the understood the need for multiple arts as well as conditioning and strength training.

But if you are suggesting these athletes are better skilled fighters then you would be wrong, IMO.

I know what you’re getting at, but I don’t necessarily think the skill level is lower now. The difference now is that the standards have drastically changed for what is considered an average UFC fight between two guys

I agree. That’s why I said they’re similar.

Give me an example of how the skill level is lower and then I will give you three to refute it.

I mean Keith Hackney’s striking to Anderson Silva or IZZY?

Royce being beat with BJJ by Matt Hughes should have shown you how the sport has developed and is still developing.