Who Gives the Best Seminars?

Our school is thinking about bringing in someone later this year. Doesn't need to be a big name, per se. Much more interested in having very high quality instruction and details.

Any thoughts?

Roy Harris puts on the best seminars I've ever attended. Heck, I joined his associations after meeting and training with him!

He is often tough to book, though, because he gets a lot of requests. You might also consider Roy Dean.

I've been to Xande, Chris Blanke, Saulo, and Ralek Gracie all were good.

I enjoyed Xande the most very relaxed, open to questions.

I went to a Ralek Gracie seminar and it was extremely good technique wise. The way he taught was amazing very detailed. At the same time though he was very cold and you could tell he was regurgitating from a script.

Saulo was great I use everything he taught all the time now. I didn't get what he taught until later. It was weird.. he's teaching it... I am doing it but thinking I dunno about this then week later I see the opportunity to do everything he taught all the time. He's awesome.

Chris Blanke was a long time ago I remember it was pretty good but I don't remember the detail of what he taught. I didn't keep notes back then :-( He does some great 1/2 guard stuff though that he taught when he weas visiting during Xande's seminar.

Lovato gave the best seminar I've ever been to.

Rickson, by far :)

well for a smaller name, Jon Burke gives great instruction, also Rob Kahn.

Luis Salazar (also a black belt under Royce) could change the way you look at guard passing.

Baroquen Record - Luis Salazar (also a black belt under Royce) could change the way you look at guard passing.

do you think it is best to bring in someone who specializes in a certain part of the game (guard passing, for instance) and have them show that kind of stuff? Do the students seem to retain more that way?

Renato Tavares, Lana Stefanac, Carlos David Oliveira.

my instructor "little" Tony Pacenski is very well versed in all positions.

www.soulfight.net

killedtheants - 
Baroquen Record - Luis Salazar (also a black belt under Royce) could change the way you look at guard passing.

do you think it is best to bring in someone who specializes in a certain part of the game (guard passing, for instance) and have them show that kind of stuff? Do the students seem to retain more that way?

i personally like seminars devoted to a certain part of the game. i feel i do retain more that way. not to say i dont learn when the subjects are more randomized, but i think doing 2 or 3 hours or just guard passing or just mount so on will get stuck in your head more.

or even something like 3 hour seminar split into 2 sections is good too. idk i guess there is a lot to learn no matter how you slice it. i was just saying Luis has sick sick guard passing, and the things he teaches work for all body types. ive seen him take 3 month white belts and had them passing purple belt guard in a few weeks.

John Danaher... he had a very well thought out approach to BJJ.

I have found sometimes I will go to a seminar at just the "right" time and the teacher will teach something that is exactly something I have been struggling with or currently interested in. Those are usually the "Good" seminars for me. Even if the instruction isn't necessarily the very best, I am usually thrilled with the outcome.

I have also been to some really well taught seminars by high-quality people and not gotten much out of it because what they taught was just not for me, or at least not for me at that time. Those are sometimes "bad" seminars for me, even if they are high-quality.

So WHEN you go to seminar, can also be a factor.

Royler, ZeMario, Rob Follis was sensational, Gui Mendes was good, apparently Fernando Paradeda is awesome to.

Renato Tavares and Daniel Moraes have given me stuff I still use all the time...

breakit -  Renato Tavares and Daniel Moraes have given me stuff I still use all the time...

Now does Moraes show one sweep at the very beginning of the seminar and then just spend the rest of the seminar protecting those two points, like he does in competition?

I was going to reply to that, but I decided why bother replying to a smartass...

Seriously, though, I talked to him about that.  When he competes, he just doesn't want to take any chances.  But the man has some really good stuff to show. 

Daniel's seminars are awesome.

Ari Bolden teaches an amazing seminar!!! check one out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSG27mTmC9M&feature=channel

Carlos Machado

if you don't need a big name and are at all interested in leg locks PM goatfury on here. i've been to a couple with him (he's fairly local to me) and he puts out very detailed, methodical, coherent material - it's not just a misc bag o'tricks.

don't know where you are, but goat's east coast.