Who goes to a commercial gym...

...and who doesn't?

This is a roll call

A. commercial gym (Ballys, Golds, etc, etc, etc; may be an independantly owned commercial gym as well)

or

B. non-commercial gym (College, home/backyard, weightlifting club, boxing gym w/weights, etc,etc,etc)

I work out at home and love it.

A

It's nice. Weights I want are free 99% of the time, decent cardio area although no versa climber which sucks, pool, hot tubs, sauna's, steam rooms, indoor basketball court, spacious aerobic studios.

I get weird looks and questions when I use chains, bands, kettlebells, clubs, and even my freaking weight belt for pull-ups and dips, but the people are friendly and don't hound me.

I converted a workshop down in my basement into my workout area. It's a bit small, but it works out great.

"I get weird looks and questions when I use chains, bands, kettlebells, clubs, and even my freaking weight belt for pull-ups and dips"

If you own all of these things then why do you need to go to a gym? Why not have a home setup?

Why make them rich? Why pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars per year? I think it is gay.

A. 24 hour fatness. It friggin sucks. None of the weight plates match, there's ONE squat rack, no room to do any big lifts, barely any room to deadlift without sticking your butt in the face of the 27 dudes doing concentration curls in front of the mirror.

Oh, and where are the 45's? OH YA, theyre all on the 2 leg press machines.

Bullshit jonwell, you do not live in Huntington Beach and work out at 24 hour fitness. That is disappointing, if true.

A) I rent a 1 bedroom appartment

B) I like year-round access to a basketball court and pool.

Sooo gay.

What commercial gym has a Basketball court and a pool?

And yes, the desire to be in an atmosphere like that is just one notch down from wanting to go to a gay bar.

KSW- I actually live in San Diego now, and my work gets me a cheap-as-hell membership to 24 hr, so I really dont have much of a choice.

I worked out (and worked) at Golds when I lived in HB.

jonwell (and others), If you have seen some of my posts you will notice that I am on a mission against commercial gyms. There are alternatives. At least we here at this forum should not be supporting them.

"What commercial gym has a Basketball court and a pool?"

A lot of one's around here including mine.

"And yes, the desire to be in an atmosphere like that is just one notch down from wanting to go to a gay bar."

Lol! You sure are obsessed with gayness.

I guess I'll have to set up a power rack, bench, and platform in my 1-bedroom appartment so I don't catch the gayness from my commercial gym. Get a life.

KSW- As soon as I get room and money I'm out of that meat market, believe me :)

And there's nothing gay about being in a gym, lets try to let that part of the conversation die, shall we?

I work out at home. I occasionally do pullups in a
park or at Camp Pendleton.

Grandpab

Basement hell hole gym. I love it. I also do Scrapper stuff at the local high school (football field).

They could find a less commercial gym, they are everywhere. Stop contributing money to places like Bally's and Gold's. It's the equivalent of a Christian contributing money to a mosque, it promotes something other than waht is truly believed in.

By the way, it is breaktime from college, I am happy to be able to post more often on here, I kinda missed it.

Actually the golds I used to work/out at was very nice for lifting. They had 3 squat racks in the back and plenty of room for explosive lifts. Even had a few Eleiko bumper plates.

I don't care if Gold's had a climbing rope! I would not contribute financially to that corporation. That would be like buying coffee at Starbucks instead of the independently owned coffee shop across the street.

I go to a Golds and am one of the very few guys who DL and squat (yes, its very sad). I am actually saving for my own home gym now but in the meantime I guess I'll have to ignore the stares and keep getting stronger.

Ah, a college student.

Unfortunately all your opinions are now considered invalid by anyone with half a brain and any time in the real world.

I go to Bally's. The chicks are hot, the squat rack is always empty and I put guys 2X my size to shame with my lifts.