Who goes to a commercial gym...

I'm a member of a commercial gym. Why? Well, for one, I'm a trainer there. Second, it's the largest gym in town, except for maybe the local university gym (University of New Mexico). It has great equipment (except for possibly adding higher weight DB's. They only go up to 120 lb), and plenty of it (no mismatched 45's around here. We have plenty of the fuckers). I also have access to 3 basketball courts, two pools, two hot tubs, a sauna, a steam room, spin classes, etc. While I may not use all this all the time, it provides a nice change of pace, and prevents cardio workouts from going stale. There's a good group of folks here, who while occasionally giving me strange looks, acknowledges my workout ability and intensity, and appreciate it. In sum, it's much, much more than I could ever get from owning my own home equipment.

tapout54nb,

Please email me at laldridge2002@yahoo.com as I'm in
Albuquerque also.

Lee

-

I'm looking to join a new gym once the winter ends. Right now it's a toss up between a NY sports club and a place called Cando. Both have top of the line stuff, however both have the elitist "tone fag" mentality and do not cater to serious strentgh athletes. A manager at one actually said that they don't have a squat rack because they "don't want to attract that kind of lifter" My options are limited both financially and geographically, but either would take care of my needs.

I workout a my universitie's gym. Its decent, and is included in my student fees. Most of the people who lift oddly enough are or were fighters, wrestlers, or jiu jitsu guys. Its pretty chill and only gets busy late at night. Best part is there arent really any athletes to get in the way and tie up all the stuff. The school is a small NAIA school and most of people playing sports their arent that serious, so thats nice. There is a punching bag and mats which I use to train.

I belong to B, I have a home gym, however, I drink Starbucks
coffee because most coffe shops in my hometown don't sell coffee
to go.

B for me

I train at a OL club. It is purely free weights and have 1.5" rubber mats over the floor so you can drop weights, has a lot of bumper plates and about 5-7 OL bars and a few lighter ones for beginners.

I pay a membership to the club for my insurance and to BAWLA to compete. I use to pay to train at the place but I am at a national standard now so I don't need to pay :D. So that is great. Free training for me.

I also train at a Gymnastics club. Great facilities and everything I need to work Gymnastics of course. Rope to climb and a pit to go crazy off the trampoline. A great coach that I can work anything I want with. I pay £7 a session ~ $10 and that usually lasts for 3-4hrs depending on when he wants to finish.

Koing

HeangKoing is my hero, he's got the right idea!

I go to a commercial gym with a big aerobics facility that has a messanine on the top. It used to be an auditorium or something. Best of it is that the Judo club is right there so I can work out both with weights or when there is class. The place has been there for years and individually owned. It's cheap and the equipment is good.

"I don't care if Gold's had a climbing rope! I would not contribute financially to that corporation. That would be like buying coffee at Starbucks instead of the independently owned coffee shop across the street. "

Lol, independent businesses are businesses like any other. They all profit from the service they provide. Starbucks is killing independent cafes because they provide a better more consistent product and better service. Non-franchise gyms would thrive if they had as much to offer as Bally's and Gold's. In fact there are some large non-franchise 'heath clubs' in my area that are both more expenise and far more gay that Bally's.

I just joined Gold's in Renton WA. They have two power racks, 100lb plates, and they not only allow chalk THEY PROVIDE IT. I paid upfront front for the year, it works out to about 25.00 month. That's about 1.60 every training day . . . so I have access to hundreds of pounds of free weights and multiple chin/dip stations for less than two bucks a workout.

Should I have spent that 300 bucks on one 15lb club and a video on how to use it? Would that be better deal?

Rope climbing and sandbags are just resistance, there's nothing special about that stuff. They're useful, but not everyone has room around the house all that crap.

HarryLime is correct.

I've only seen the Gymnastics club that has a 8m climbing rope I think. NOT easy space for the average guy unless he has mega $$$ for a big ass house. I'll train where I can and get what I can depending on the situation.

When I was living away I was at a commericial gym. The OL bars were crappy and were not 'real'. I made do. One power rack that was empty 95% of the time and I used it. Did a few Snatch's and Clean and Jerks but nothing serious as no bumper plates to drop it. The weights besides that was fine. They had a bunch of machines that I didn't bother with but they had a chin bar so that was alright.

kansetsuwaza I count myself 'very lucky' in where I live. By total accident I happen to live where all my training facilities are 5 minute walk away from my house. Both the OL club and the Gymnastics club. In fact the two clubs are only apart by about 800m! Not many people could have this much luck.

I train as it is cool and fun. OL = free now but I use to pay before and I didn't mind as it was great. I don't pay now but I earnt it. Gymnastics I pay $10 for about 3-4hrs of coaching and great facilities. I have heard of some Gymnastics clubs being BS and not letting non members train etc. So I am lucky that my Gym coach is great.

My other friends have 30minute drives to train each way or LONGER. And they have to pay. I'm definately going to stay in the area for as long as I can for the facilities. Had to travel about 30-45mins each way to train when I was away from home. A lot of time wasted in travel :(

Koing

I belong to an independent commercial gym, because:

* it is convenient since I drive by it twice a day, to and from work

* it is relatively cheap and my wife likes the classes and my kids use the covered pool in the winter

* it has racquetball courts

* I have friends there, some of whom have given me good advice/tips on lifting

* the university gym where I can go for free doesn't open its free-weight room until 5pm and the squat rack is as crowded as a Chinese bus with all the Dilberts trying to curl in it.

* it is has about a quarter million dollars of relatively unused equipment that I can use for about $60 a month

The point is that your tirade, while perhaps well-intentioned, does not consider all the issues.

I work out at a David Lloyd gym, but also go to an indipendent Thai Boxing Gym so a bit of both.

The reason that I use a commercial gym is pretty much the same as everyone else has stated.

* Convenient

* Loads of equipment that I couldn't possibly have access to in my small top floor flat

* Fit girls in spandex

Personally I think that instead of being scared of the corporations changing us, the more people like us that work out at these gyms, the more they have to adapt to keep us happy. Witness, commercial gyms giving over far more space to free weights than they used to 10 yrs ago, power racks available in far more than used to be, come on everyone, power to the people!

My living room is a gym. I have invested several thousand dollars into a power rack, f/i/d bench, various bars, plate and bar holder, ab bench, back extension bench, preacher curl bench, and over 500 lbs. of plates. My living room looks like a Bally's. However, I'm also single. I love having my own gym because:

1. The music, or lack thereof, is always perfect
2. The temperature is just right or easily corrected
3. I don't have to lay in anyone's sweat but my own
4. No distractions or stupid interruptions
5. The equipment is always free for my routine
6. No dues or b.s. contracts
7. When considering the durability of the equipment,including just minimal maintenance, the initial cost is prorated down to nothing.

Having said all that, the only thing I miss are the machines (Hammer Strength, etc.) that are just too bulky and expensive to fit in a home gym. Other than that, I wouldn't go back.................

A. Commercial Gym --- Bally's. I got the membership way back in the day on special deal. I pay $120 a year for nationwide club use. Very cheap, convenient, plenty of equipment, and my schedule allows me to grab a workout when the place is pretty much empty.

That said, as soon as my wife and I buy a house, the basement is mine! I will happily do all laundry if in return I get to start turning the basement into my own 24 hour gym.

CockneyBlue don't lie. * Fit girls in spandex is at the TOP of your list :P. Use to be a perk when I was single at the commerical gym but not many fit girls was at the commercial gym anyway :P

I don't really see myself with a home gym unless I have a big shed or something that I could make in to an OL area.

Definately no place to do Gymnastics though at home :(

Koing

busted!

I used to workout at commercial gym. It's a new facility, big, full of weights and Hammer Strength machines. Plenty of cardio machines ect. and of course all the hotties.

In an effort to save $$$ I quit and bought an OL weight set. Now my home gym consists of it, a few kettlebells, ab wheel, a Ironmind cable set and a few sandbags. There is also a hottie MILF next door so it's all good.

It's nice being able to walk out into the yard and throw the weight around.

Kansetsuwaza is proud of me, I'm sure

My work has a gym that is literally dead until me and my friends get in. its nice to have a complete gym for ourselves.

Im saving for a set up at home because my ass is too lazy and cheap to get a membership at a gym because at the end of the year I won't have anything to show for my dues. At least with home equpment I know the stuff I buy is mine and will always be free. Also my choice of music is always there!

-B

So far it looks like 50/50 for the poll.

I am really trying to understand the psychology involved in why people like to work out in commercial environments. I guess we are a consumer population.

It really really disturbs me.

Luis Farrakhan professed at the million man march for blacks not to spend money at white businesses as this only makes them rich, to keep the money in the black community. A similar philosophy applies here, commercial gyms are the antithesis of what is a general common belief on this STRENGTH & CONDITIONING forum, so why should people give financial support to these fitness terrorists (commercial gyms)?

Many people have many excuses, but if you look (and think) hard enough you can find an alternative and stop supporting those who peomote falsehoods about exercise.