Who has bigger legacy in MMA?

Is it Randy Couture or Mark Coleman?

Randy Couture 16-10

3x UFC HW champion (Maurice Smith, Kevin Randleman, Tim Sylvia)

2x UFC LHW champion (Tito Ortiz, Vitor Belfort)

UFC 13 HW tournament winner (Tony Halme, Steven Graham)

note: has fought in a total of fifteen title fights

Notable wins:- Marice Smith, Vitor Belfort 2x, Kevin Randleman, Pedro Rizzo, Chuck Liddell, Tim Sylvia, Gabriel Gonzaga

Notable losses:- Josh Barnett, Ricco Rodriguez, Chuck Liddell 2x, Brock Lesnar, Antonio Nogueira

Mark Coleman 16-9

UFC 10 tournament champion (Mori Horenstein, Gary Goodridge, Don Frye)

UFC 11 tournament champion (Julien Sanchez, Brian Johnston, Dan Severn)

UFC HW champion (Dan Severn)

PRIDE Grand Prix Openweight tournament champion (Masaaki Satake, Akira Shoji, Kazuyuki Fujita, Igor Vovchanchyn)

Notable wins:- Don Frye 2x, Dan Severn, Igor Vovchanchyn, Mauricio Rua

Notable losses:- Maurice Smith, Pedro Rizzo, Antonio Nogueira, Fedor 2x, Mirko Cro Cop, Mauricio Rua

So who has the bigger legacy in mma?

IMO it is really close. I may have to give a slight edge to Couture because of the fifteen title fights which is pretty amazing stat.

Coleman > Randy

All day, every day.

A win over Igor Vovchanchyn in his prime and Don Frye in his prime out beats everything Couture has done in his career. Look at Couture's wins... Tim Sylvia for the belt...Whoopy do...And then he went on to beat the ever so over rated Gonzaga! LOL.

Couture biggest win was indeed Liddell and Ortiz back to back, but Liddell and Ortiz in their primes were nothing compared to Igor and Frye.

(As Circle,X,and 101)

Mark Coleman is....

a paragon of virtue.

The best wrestler ever.

The strongest fighter currently competing.

The best bet to beat Fedor(or Machida)

Is the best example of a timeless fighter,resistant to injury,age,etc.

simply put,the man is beyond reproach.

Coleman is the walking god among men and in the words of Dennis Green, go ahead and "Crown his ass"!!!!

Very close but I have to go with Randy.

Like I said, a win over Igor Vovchanchyn in his prime is perhaps the greatest victory ever until Fedor beat Minotauroin his pime.

Coleman did the impossible. He is iconic.

Couture had two good wins over Tito and Chuck. That's his glory, imo. Wins over Tito and Chuck are great wins, but not nearly as impressive as the unstoppable Igor Vovchanchyn at Pride GP 2000.

Melvin,you are my boy,but dont you remember the circumstances of Coleman beating Igor???

Past their primes but don't these two have to fight before their careers are over?

I for one would still like to see this fight.

Coleman got the biggest gift win ever. He decisoned a MW in Shoji then got a bye into the finals. LUCKY! Igor was not in his prime then plus he had to fight 2 real fights that night. A slugfest with Goddridge and then 15 minutes with Sakuraba. That tournament win was handed to Coleman on a silver platter. Couture has at least 5 more bigger career wins than Coleman.

I think there are two different arguments here. I think there is a difference between who has a bigger legacy and who has been a better fighter.

Simply put, if not for Coleman, there might not have been the same infusion of wrestlers. While Randy has influenced many wrestlers who have left their sport behind to fight, Coleman came onto the scene and was a pioneer. He is also, in his own right, a UFC champ and Pride Grand Prix champ (I know - I read the post above).

But Randy is different. First and foremost, he has been a way better fighter. More well rounded, far superiorly conditioned to the point where I'm not sure they belong in the same league. Randy has also been a 3x heavyweight champ, 2x light heavyweight champ, and became the first man in the history of the biggest franchise in the world to do that. And on top of it all, like 98% of his matches have been with a belt on the line.

I don't really see how there is that much to debate. I love Coleman but Couture could've retired immediately after thumping Tito or even after Gonzaga and people would be comparing him to Fedor as maybe the best ever.

Have to go with Coleman on this one

Randy!

Perrenial underdog in most of his fights. When fought at HW, GROSSLY undersized and still did "pretty good".

The problem is that people undoubtably will think less and less about him as the losses ple up whihc will surely happen if he continues to fight.

Coleman has the better influence, Couture has the better career. Couture has more titles, better wins and has beat two guys that Coleman lost to in Smith and Rizzo.

So close....

"Like I said, a win over Igor Vovchanchyn in his prime is perhaps the greatest victory ever until Fedor beat Minotauroin his pime."

Yup Vov was ruining lives.

mcpeepants232003 - How is beating Igor better than beating Chuck or Tito?

LOL

Coleman by a landslide

ManhoefKOAnderson - A win over Igor Vovchanchyn in his prime and Don Frye in his prime out beats everything Couture has done in his career. Look at Couture's wins... Tim Sylvia for the belt...Whoopy do...And then he went on to beat the ever so over rated Gonzaga! LOL.

Coleman also "lost" to Takada.

And his fight with Igor was after Igor had two fights that night, Coleman had one. Fighting Goodridge and Sakuraba will make one more tired that fighting just Shoji and having a break during the second round because Fujita didn't really fight. I wouldn't consider the Igor that Coleman fought an Igor at his best.

Couture for sure. Has been a relevant fighter on the worldwide scene for almost his entire career. Coleman for maybe 1/4 his career at most.

Coleman had two great runs and prety much considered the best fighter in the world two separate times. Amazing, but outside those two short periods, he wasn't a contender.

And Randy wins this because championships define legacies. And Randy's are bigger.

Keep in mind, two of Randy's losses are due to illegal things (Barnett roided and Ricco won after an illegal downward elbow) and the end of his fight with Illkhoine was bullshit.

voorhees - 

Mark Coleman is....

a paragon of virtue.

The best wrestler ever.

The strongest fighter currently competing.

The best bet to beat Fedor(or Machida)

Is the best example of a timeless fighter,resistant to injury,age,etc.

simply put,the man is beyond reproach.

Coleman is the walking god among men and in the words of Dennis Green, go ahead and "Crown his ass"!!!!

+1

BiggGunn - And Randy wins this because championships define legacies. And Randy's are bigger.

Keep in mind, two of Randy's losses are due to illegal things (Barnett roided and Ricco won after an illegal downward elbow) and the end of his fight with Illkhoine was bullshit.

Don't stop there man. Brock hit him behind the head. Chuck eye gouged him. Rings doesn't count. etc