Who has built a DIY website?

OG, looking for advice. I know there's been some brothers offering pretty good deals on here and I may go to them, but I've also heard some good things about the likes of squarespace, wix, weebly et al and of course wordpress (but I hear that's quite a bit more difficult).

I need a pretty basic website that looks clean and doesn't have to do much right now other than host some text, look the part, and be able to be edited for content.

I run an expensive and bespoke website that cost many thousands of dollars, but this project isn't going to need anything on that scale. In fact, it'd be great for me if I could get it as damn cheap as possible, but I don't want something for free that is going to be dogshit. Would rather pay a little.

So OG, before I tap up some of our brothers for a good price, any experience? Any I should definitely avoid? If it helps at all, it would be for a personal project offering professional services, but not needed to specifically sell on.

Thanks in advance :)

I have, but I'm lying. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks esque, most of the reviews I've looked at have Squarespace coming out on top for most things, that's my frontrunner as it stands. Appreciate the advice.

I used Weebly If you have photoshop you can upload images and banners and all that jazz to your liking. It's basic but if you put a bit of work in you can get it looking pretty decent.

Used wix for mine and it was pretty easy... I am by no means a computer type of guy but once I played around with it awhile I think it came out alright. Phone Post 3.0

joomla

Thanks everyone. Any links to your sites so I can make an educated guess as to what it might turn out like if a layman builds it?!

http://www.reddragonartandillustration.com

It needs updating and is very basic but the sky is the limit really Phone Post 3.0

Cheers guys, VTFU for the info. Will most likely sign up to Squarespace today but going to read more into weebly too.

Isn't homesteadingboards.com about? He has a website and news letter and his site looks decent. Phone Post 3.0

And its literally a DIY website... Lol Phone Post 3.0

Before you spend on squarespace, you can do very limited things like your explaining in a wordpress BLOG, you can create multiple pages like you said you need and it's completely free- just point your domain there and bam.

The only real issue is an extreme lack of customization but if you pick a more simple design, it really is an easy cheap alternative to a normal site. Plus you can use the blog as your "home" page with updates. Phone Post 3.0

Built a good few of my own using webs, wix and go daddy amongst others.

Out of all of them I would say that Go Daddy has been the best web builder platform, inclusive of the domain name registration. Very simple to use, a vast array of templates which can be customized in no time. Also you will find the bigger domain sites offering better integration options for carts and shopping if your idea/website needs to include a e-commerce option

If you want links I will PM them to you.

esque - 
Fight! UK Online -

Cheers guys, VTFU for the info. Will most likely sign up to Squarespace today but going to read more into weebly too.

You can make your site for free without committing to pay anything. Do you even JRE bro. Phone Post 3.0

I don't, but evidently maybe I should.

Cheers guys, sure fire links over dannytsg. GoDaddy generally had bad reviews when I was looking but I'll take a peek!

Zeke Dynasty - Before you spend on squarespace, you can do very limited things like your explaining in a wordpress BLOG, you can create multiple pages like you said you need and it's completely free- just point your domain there and bam.

The only real issue is an extreme lack of customization but if you pick a more simple design, it really is an easy cheap alternative to a normal site. Plus you can use the blog as your "home" page with updates. Phone Post 3.0

Very conscious of it looking slick despite my inability to make it so manually, and that tends to be what the other site builders have going for them. Will definitely look more into wordpress but if I want to do more with it down the line then I fear I don't have the requisite skills to do so.

Most hosting places like BlueHost, LunarPages, DreamHost, GoDaddy, etc. will have a 1-click installer for Wordpress in their control panel.

After Wordpress installs you'll get a link to login to your new Wordpress panel.

On the left side of that panel you will see an "Appearance" option, and "Themes" under that. There are literally thousands of free themes in the Wordpress repository and all of them are tested and safe for use.

You can search them here: https://wordpress.org/themes/tag-filter/ or https://wordpress.org/themes/

Once you find one you like, you don't have to download it to your computer. Go back to your Wordpress panel that you were at before and click Appearance>>>Themes>>>Click "Add New" at the top>>>Search for the name of that theme you liked in the top right... Once it shows, click install and activate it.

You'll probably have to follow some documentation from the theme to get the menu, pages, widgets and stuff like that configured how you like it. It isn't very technical usually, but can be time consuming if you've never done it before. You can buy some awesome themes from somewhere like www.themeforest.net but they run $30-50 range.

If you go that route and need any help, feel free to send me a PM.

Could you run a little forum on a squarespace page also? Phone Post 3.0