Who has hiked Machu Picchu?

Has anyone hiked Machu Picchu, specifically the Inca Trail?

I'm looking to go this spring and wanted to hear some feedback from those who have done it. The more information you can give me the better, when you went, how much you spent, how you liked it, etc.

I'm looking to book it through REI, and from what I found online May seems to be a good month to go, so I was planning on doing May 14-22nd. REI's itinerary summary is below

Day 1 - Meet in Cusco for a walking tour of the city's highlights.
Day 2 - Visit Sacsayhuaman fortress, ruins at Pisac, and the town of Chinchero.
Day 3 - Marvel at an Inca crop laboratory and visit ancient salt mines.
Day 4 - On the Inca Trail, hike from the trailhead to our first campsite.
Day 5 - Superb mountain views await crossing the high pass of Warmiwanusca.
Day 6 - Our trail leads past Inca ruins and over high Andean passes.
Day 7 - Arrive at the Sun Gate and enjoy the first views of Machu Picchu.
Day 8 - Guided tour of Machu Picchu; free time to explore or hike Huayna Picchu.
Day 9 - Depart Cusco for home with wonderful memories of your Inca adventure.

I have been but my tour was far less extreme than yours. I did manage to separate from the group by mistake and while jogging to their estimated location I ran out of breath very quickly.

I realize this is not the answer you were looking for, but goddamn it, I spent too much money on that trip to not answer.

I had friends that did it. They loved it. Porters carried everything. 

Mike F - I have been but my tour was far less extreme than yours. I did manage to separate from the group by mistake and while jogging to their estimated location I ran out of breath very quickly.

I realize this is not the answer you were looking for, but goddamn it, I spent too much money on that trip to not answer.

Worth the money in your opinion? What's the air like up there? I've never hiked at that elevation before.

Philip Proctor - 

I had friends that did it. They loved it. Porters carried everything. 

It's been at the top of my bucket list for as long as I can remember, I honestly feel like I'll get a little emotional when I finally reach the summit (no homo)

I was in Costa Rica a few days ago, and I was dying at 3k above sea level. I can't imagine that hike, we talked about doing it.

Karl fucking hated it Phone Post 3.0

Anthony - I was in Costa Rica a few days ago, and I was dying at 3k above sea level. I can't imagine that hike, we talked about doing it.

Highest I've done is around 2300, machu picchu is about 8000. I also did the 2300 having not ate for days and no water lol, didn't even notice anything in regards the breathing. I'm not too worried about the hike, I've done a lot of hiking with weight and I'm in pretty good shape. I'll increase my cardio a month or so before I go just to make sure.

Jhay - 
Mike F - I have been but my tour was far less extreme than yours. I did manage to separate from the group by mistake and while jogging to their estimated location I ran out of breath very quickly.

Worth the money in your opinion? What's the air like up there? I've never hiked at that elevation before.

I had gone to Lima to visit the family of my girlfriend at the time. By plane, train, and automobile went to Cusco. Stayed the night at a hotel in Cusco before leaving very early the next morning for Machu Picchu and returning that same night.

I was in my early 20s and was too fucking stupid to truly grasp the experience at the time and appreciate it like I should've. Definitely an experience I will never forget. I was in the best shape I probably ever saw at the time and still felt the altitude pretty good. When I made my short jog to catch up I was more concerned with not being lost than anything else and that got me pretty good.

Worth the money. The company I had dictated the amounts of fun I could have, so I would imagine with what you've got lined up it will be pretty amazing.

I do a lot of high altitude hiking (up to 14k ft). Ive taken 5k shape people from sea level with me and while they struggled, they made it. Just take your time. 8000 feet is lower than the base of most Colorado ski resorts. If you're reasonably fit you'll be fine. Breathe deep and from your belly. Eat a lot of complex carbs. Also, taking CoQ10 during the 3 weeks before will help a lot. You could also ask your doctor about acetazolamide. Its a drug (Rx only) thats supposed to prevent high altitude sickness. Phone Post 3.0

Also, work on your cardio fitness in the mean time. Running is easiest, but cycling can be done for much longer periods and with less stress on your joints. Phone Post 3.0

Mike F - 
Jhay - 

I had gone to Lima to visit the family of my girlfriend at the time. By plane, train, and automobile went to Cusco. Stayed the night at a hotel in Cusco before leaving very early the next morning for Machu Picchu and returning that same night.

I was in my early 20s and was too fucking stupid to truly grasp the experience at the time and appreciate it like I should've. Definitely an experience I will never forget. I was in the best shape I probably ever saw at the time and still felt the altitude pretty good. When I made my short jog to catch up I was more concerned with not being lost than anything else and that got me pretty good.

Worth the money. The company I had dictated the amounts of fun I could have, so I would imagine with what you've got lined up it will be pretty amazing.

I'm in my early 20s!! lol luckily nature is a huge part of my life and I've only dreamt of hiking Machu Picchu.

I feel like REI is an awesome company and I trust that their trip and schedule will be much better than anyone else, since it's a co-op everyone involved is all about the outdoors and their other trips look fucking awesome, I want to use them to go to the Galapagos Islands too.

Maybe the elevation will have more of an impact than I thought. As it gets closer I'll up my cardio and do some higher elevation hiking training up in the Appalachians.

myersei - Also, work on your cardio fitness in the mean time. Running is easiest, but cycling can be done for much longer periods and with less stress on your joints. Phone Post 3.0

Oh definitely, I always do cardio at least 3 days a week. (although the past few months I've neglected it to try and lift to gain a little bit more weight, now I want to go back down about 5 pounds to 170, I'm 6 1). Last year I trained for a half marathon before having to back out to take my hunters ed course instead. I trained all throughout college in kickboxing 4-6 days a week. I wouldn't take me long to get my cardio back to where it was where I was running 5-10 miles at a time. Also my hiking cardio has always been excellent, even weighted.

myersei - I do a lot of high altitude hiking (up to 14k ft). Ive taken 5k shape people from sea level with me and while they struggled, they made it. Just take your time. 8000 feet is lower than the base of most Colorado ski resorts. If you're reasonably fit you'll be fine. Breathe deep and from your belly. Eat a lot of complex carbs. Also, taking CoQ10 during the 3 weeks before will help a lot. You could also ask your doctor about acetazolamide. Its a drug (Rx only) thats supposed to prevent high altitude sickness. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks man I'll look into that stuff

Jambo888 -

you can walk up that elevation without any altitude issues except sucking wind I bet. maybe feeling a bit crappy. fatty sofa riding tourists go up to machu picchu all the time and loaf about without dying

Yea but they're not doing the inca trail which is a multi day hike and about 26 miles i believe. Phone Post 3.0

Jhay - Has anyone hiked Machu Picchu, specifically the Inca Trail?

I'm looking to go this spring and wanted to hear some feedback from those who have done it. The more information you can give me the better, when you went, how much you spent, how you liked it, etc.

I'm looking to book it through REI, and from what I found online May seems to be a good month to go, so I was planning on doing May 14-22nd. REI's itinerary summary is below

Day 8 - Guided tour of Machu Picchu; free time to explore or hike Huayna Picchu.
How much would this cost for two people? Phone Post 3.0

Arglebargle BBC 4eva -
Jhay - Has anyone hiked Machu Picchu, specifically the Inca Trail?

How much would this cost for two people? Phone Post 3.0
Go to rei.com and go to travel and you'll see everything. In 2016 it's 3800 per person. You only need to pay for airfare, sleeping bag, and a few meals aren't covered. They list everything that's included when you go to the specific trip Phone Post 3.0