Who has the standup edge,Couture or Norgeiura?

This is the real question in this fight. If Randy has the better stronger hands, this will be a bad night for Norgeiura. I don't believe in drawing comparisons from common opponents but in the Sylvia fights Couture had a pretty good advantage on Tim while Big Nog struggled badly.

Randy may be looking for a standing ko here.

After watching Nogueira get hit with anything and everything Mir threw, I have to say Couture until I see differently.

Mad Xyientist -  After watching Nogueira get hit with anything and everything Mir threw, I have to say Couture until I see differently.

I think we will see a better Norgeiura this time but you have a point. 

Randy imo has better more evasive head movement. He used it well against Sylvia. Norgueira could be in some trouble if he can't get the fight on the floor.

newbloodmma - Randy imo has better more evasive head movement. He used it well against Sylvia. Norgueira could be in some trouble if he can't get the fight on the floor.

I was just going to post that Couture's "lunging whiteboy waist-hinged head movement" against Sylvia was difficult to watch even as a casual boxing fan, but I guess it worked against Big Tim.

A good striker would have capitalized and possibly KTFO Randy when he was swaying crazily in the wind after every exchange in the Sylvia fight, though.

Nog used to but after being TKOed by Mir I have my doubts. He used to have the best chin in MMA but Ill be a little worried while he's standing with Randy.

If Randy starts doing that crazy head movement like he did against Tim, Nog needs to throw a headkick and knock him out.

As for the OP, judging from their previous fights, I think their striking is even. Nog is still Nog and it'll be hard as hell to KO him.

nog used to,but now he is slow and his chin is shot to hell

I think Randy can rough up Nog in the clinch with dirty boxing like he did to Gonzaga.

I dont think he will KO Nog, but I think he will win the majority of the stand up, get a few takedowns, play it safe on the ground and win a UD.

handy

nogs boxing will look better than it did vs mir

but imo randy is gonna clinch box, where hes best

If I'm basing this on the Nog that showed up against Mir I would say Couture but I have a feeling we'll see classic Nog and they will tag each other a few times before they hit the mat with Nog getting the better of the exchanges.  We'll see though.

In Nog's 3 UFC fights he has not looked good on his feet, Herring almost KO'd him, Tim looked better than ever and Mir threw the same 3 punch combo and Nog couldnt stop it

Good insight, thanks everyone. I like hearing opinions about this.

Holy shit, is Norgeuira blind in that right eye?

Mike Sanders, you make a great point about Randy's head movement. But I have to go back to the 2 Pedro Rizzo fights. He was quite effectice standing up against a young healthy Pedro, not so much winning the strikes but using his gameplan effectively. I'm not sure the Nog he will face Saturday is quite the striker Pedro was, of course Randy was a little younger then, haha.

I think Randy does... not in power obviously but his stand up is a little tighter defesively. Nog comes forward and takes alot of shots.. he can strike without a doubt but his defense is a little loose.

I think Randy is going to win this very convicingly...

Does anybody remember the Nog from the 2004 tourney?  His hands were so much faster then.  Hopefully he has worked a lot on his boxing cause his last few fights he has looked very average when striking.

nog used to have a great chin and amazing boxing. if he returns to that form i give him the edge. randy has always had solid fundamentals and i think is a better standup fighter than mir by a wide margin.

^^ agreed... I'm obviously going off of what I see currently... not the Nog from'04,'05 etc... his stand up has dropped off ALOT

yeah randy's 'fade into the right hand' worked awesome against Brock.  but if he doesn't get clipped he should outpoint Minotauro.  he has better defense and movement, while Minotauro has a slight edge in power and speed.

but both have pretty mediocre standup.  would prefer to see a grappling match.

LMAO @ "Norgeiura"

This vid is on topic... definitely NOT the Staph-infected/knee-blown Nog who fought Mir

ajl416az - yeah randy's 'fade into the right hand' worked awesome against Brock.  but if he doesn't get clipped he should outpoint Minotauro.  he has better defense and movement, while Minotauro has a slight edge in power and speed.

but both have pretty mediocre standup.  would prefer to see a grappling match.

it was a grazing punch that landed on the back of the head that rocked Randy. I'm not sure how you can "fade into the right hand" that clubs you in the back of the head. 

I agree with the rest of your post.