who has trained in thailand?

its in this forum. it was on 2nd page just a few minutes ago.

I trained in Phuket in 1975 while in the Marines. I was w/ second Recon Bn & could beat most of our Spcl Forces Marines at the time. I could not beat any of the guys there. Props to them.......

Is it just me or does the Fairtex camp in Bangkok not even look like its in Thailand? It looks like some type of resort. Hell, its better looking than most of the gyms here.

I am in Thailand right now. I trained for a month at Fairtex BKK and just flew back from Rawai in Phuket.

'Since you dont have much experience. I would go with Phuket or Lanna or any tourist camp. They will teach you the basics and give you attention'

This is certainly not true in my experience of Phuket. They hardly teach you anything or give you any attention if you are not going to fight for them or are not a hot girl. Fairtex was far better (although also far more expensive). Phuket is a beach place, but the weather is dodgy at the moment and when it rains you are fucked. I find BKK alot more fun.

'are there many people that go there that have limited to no skill'

Yeah, loads. They constitute the majority at Rawai. The standard there is fairly low.

'If I were to go I'd never go to the camps specializing in foreigners. Whats the point of going to Thailand to train when you'll be surrounded by people just like you? I'd bet the instruction would be pretty watered down as well. '

I disagree with this. At fairtex you can train with more world class thais and thai trainers than (probably) any other camp in the world. The best rule to follow there is 'ask and you shall receive'. Oh, and of course the instruction is watered down. Its watered down because (almost) none of the falang can handle it

I'm gonna be at fairtex pattaya in Dec I'll let you know how it is, i'm gonna be in Bangkok(Bangplee) Fairtex camp in July 07' too. i hear the fairtex camps in Thailand are great.

Trained at Jitti's gym in Thailand. Awesome stuff. 5-6 hours every day with lots of attention from the coaches.

I'm at the airport right now on my way to Fairtex Pattaya. I heard it's great! I'll let you know!

FearMir,

you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villianry. You must be cautious. Don't go to Alkazar unless you want a cultural kick in the nuts. Though it will give you a sober warning as to how frighteningly realistic the gratoeys are. Also, don't judge the rest of the country by Pattaya.

Enjoy the land of smiles.

JD

For the people who went, how much will you have to dish out??? I've been doing research on Lanna and the training and house costs for one month would be about 500 bucks tops. That plus the plane ticket, 1k if you're lucky, thats 1.5k so far. Is 2k enough to have a significantly good vacation in Thailand or am I missing any other intangible costs???

"I disagree with this. At fairtex you can train with more world class thais and thai trainers than (probably) any other camp in the world"

That made me laugh. You americans :)

Mir, take some pics and write up a good review please. I'm headed there soon.

If you want to get out of the tourist areas and train with the best...Bukuaw anyone...you might try Por pramuk gym in Chachoengsao. It's close enough to Bangkok that you can run into the city for excitement but far enough away that you'll get a real Thai experience. www.muaythaiporpramuk.com

I haven't been to the gym but have seen some posts @ Kaewsamrit's forums saying its really good.

Plus the Bat-temple (with giant freaking bats) is really cool!

i cant find any information on ensons new place- purebred thailand. what city is it in..?? is there a website?

Mark Dellagrotte takes people there on a pretty regular schedule I think. That is how I would go.

'That made me laugh. You americans :) '

I am english, and I dont know why you are laughing. At any one time you could be being trained by multitime lumpinhi champions, whilst clinching with Kaew, Yodsongklai, Narupol, Wakeling, Attuchi etc. I said '(probably)' because frankly I dont know anything about muay thai gyms. I was just guessing, but I would genuinely be interested in some other places that were of that standard. For me it doesnt really matter though, because I am shit but for the pro's I know, its a big draw.

Enson's Gym:

Purebred Thailand/Sangtiennoi

23/5 M.4

T. Chiang Rak Noi

A. Samkhok

P. Pathumthani

tel:02-979-8250

Here is a link to the wikipedia entry on the province it's in (just north of bankok).

"I am english, and I dont know why you are laughing. At any one time you could be being trained by multitime lumpinhi champions, whilst clinching with Kaew, Yodsongklai, Narupol, Wakeling, Attuchi etc. I said '(probably)' because frankly I dont know anything about muay thai gyms. I was just guessing, but I would genuinely be interested in some other places that were of that standard. For me it doesnt really matter though, because I am shit but for the pro's I know, its a big draw."

I was not laughing at you personally. But the impression i have gotten is that Fairtex promotion in the US is strong so most americans i see in Thailand consider Fairtex the best gym there aswell. Wich is not true. Fairtex has bought most of their fighters. I would say you are correct in that its a good gym although very overpriced for beginners. But there are better and cheaper gyms. And personally i find it hard to concentrate on fighting at a luxury resort :=)

I spent two weeks in Thailand training at Sasiprapa gym. I wanted to train somewhere that wasn't so commercial that I felt like I was training in the states. When I first arrived I was starred at but when I told them how I heard about there gym I was recieved with welcome arms. The training was great and they treated me very well. I would recommend them to anyone. I also found out later from a few Muay Thai fighters in the US that it was one of the top schools in Thailand.

ttt

brain-"This is certainly not true in my experience of Phuket. They hardly teach you anything or give you any attention if you are not going to fight for them or are not a hot girl"

so overall you werent happy with the training in phuket, I take it?? would a beginner (or someone with limited experience) get enough training to where they improve, but not so much that they dont have time to travel around phuket a little bit, eat.. go out to beaches/clubs a little.. because thats kinda what im looking for.

also, how are the trainers and the training there? are the trainers just westerners- because Im not looking to pay a couple grand to train with a couple americans in thailand..