Who invented Belt Whipping in BJJ?

This subject came up before.

One of the posters on the earlier thread explained this was because in the early days Royce went through a phase of questioning the true way of BJJ and started pulling turtle position.

Helio had to resort to whipping Royce with his belt every time he did this:

"No, Royce, no! This ees Gracie Zhu Zhitsu! You must use ze guard!"

When this started there were only like 6 people who knew BJJ so it wasn't a gauntlet. That's why all of our old school instructors have such a big smile when someone gets a new belt.

Who and what is a casca grossa team?

I train with Flexa, of Carlson Gracie Team, that lineage is pretty hard core, but we don't get belt whipped or run the gauntlet at promotions. Just thrown.

when I got my purple belt, Traven opted to drop the belt and used his boots to my back instead

Ooooh the memories

^Belt whipping, IMO, is not only pointless -- it adds another shade of homoeroticism to a martial art that does not need anymore of it.

What's this homo rotting ism? Is it contagious?

Sounds stupid IMO.

sounds racist

What's next? Spiked gis for extra pleasure while "rolling"? Maybe a body insert of some sort whenever you get a stripe?

I walked thru the gauntlet 8 times... Got beat like a dog when I got my Brown belt.. My 295 pound black belt instructor beat me in the kidney area with his open palms... It was worth all the pain because I got my Brown.... Plus as brown I'm done getting whipped as you get your Black u don't get whipped.....

that pic is a bit extreme.

We do this at our school not a big deal stings a bit leaves a few welts on your back.

When I go my blue they made me roll with every blue and higer in the class that day at the end I thought I would die I was so tired I could barely walk home. (live a block from the school} For my brown I walked the gauntlet took my licks and by the time it was done I was fine.

gauntlet is a macho bullshit thing. At my school we have the guy testing roll with everyone until they feel like they are going to puke.That's an honest ass kicking the way it should be.

LOL I went to a friend's school for a visit and it happened to be on a promotion day. Knowing that I would never see these guys again, I beat on them like they owed me pimp money!$!$!$!

one thing at our school part of the belt test has you rolling with several people full speed and most ofthe time you feel like you will puke by the time it is over.

The gauntlet is after the test and after you are given your belt.

Completely fucking stupid, and EXTREMELY tacky and cheesy.

Wasn't the whole BJJ/MMA revolution supposed to rid martial arts of all this hokey bullshit?

Even in Judo when we get promoted, anyone with a HIGHER rank than you (not some douchebag 3 month white belt who knows jack shit about the art) throws you once and that's it. One time when I got promoted a white belt who didn't know any better b/c of his own lack of etiquette questioned why I got ranked and he was the only one not allowed to throw me, I took to BEATING HIS FUCKING ASS the next time I went with him. The notion of a white belt being able to whip a purple belt boggles my mind.

At least throwing someone is related to Judo. Belt-whipping has fuck all to do with anything.

How about we create two teams in the school and have a softball game using broom sticks and beer cans for balls, seeing as how that is about as relevant as belt-whipping.

These traditions have been part of combat sports and/or military training since time began. There is a good reason for it being there -- it displays an ability to find humor in enormous discomfort or pain.

If you can't find the fun or humor in a bit of pain then you're probably in the wrong sport.

Actually there is no point to it and it's very stupid. Can't you just give a guy his belt and have everyone shake his hand?

When you get promoted, they should really have a hot stripper jump out of a cake.

That would be cool.

It's all in good fun. You boys who bitch can have Mommy right you a note and get out of it.

LOL

Dear Mr kotter, please excuse Juan from belt whipping today after his promotion as he has Ezcema and a swollen vagina.

Signed Epstein's Mother.