Who is a mentor?

I have been a mentor to a 14 year old cousin of a good family friend on mine.

He is pretty much a computer nerd for his age, but I'm trying to help him figure out what path he needs to take.

So far, I told him to get your basics done and basically do the A+ Course, and the Net+ course to get started.

I figure he can do this in 2 years and get somewhat familiar then start off with CCNA studying.

By the time he is finished with that, he'll be off into college and I can't figure out what to tell him to do.

He will be in a tight financial situation, but I told him that he can do his 2-years of prereqs at a state school and it would be cheap on his budget (Pell Grant)

I would think MIS would be the best path for him unless someone thinks different.

I am also challenging him to get himself a MAC or get another crappy computer and load linux, set it up and tell him to start playing with Unix Administration, etc. for another project.

If you were 14 again, what would you do?

If I had infinite potential

* Play with Linux as a kid. Get a 4.0, 1600 SAT, and tons of extra curriculars. Bang all the high school hotties.

* Get into Stanford and work as intern for security or Unix. Learn to program and work for some open source project. Also, play QB for the football team and nail lots of hot chicks

* Get my Ph.D. at Harvard in a physics or chemistry research group with lots of computers. Manage the computers there. Get all my certs in the meantime - LPI 1 and 2, RHCE, SCSA, SCNA, SCSecA, HP 3HO-002, AIX, CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, GSEC, GCUX. Nail all the hot chicks at BU.

*Move into senior lead technical position at Harvard or Stanford (my alma maters, remember I have infinite potential) where I continue to bang all the hotties

* Move into industry, where I can make money, hopefully having found a hottie (after checking to make sure that she likes football, action movies, and that her mom isn't fat) worthy of me, marriagewise.

That's what I'd do.

If my mentee didn't have infinite potential, I would buy him a book on Vince Lombardi. He would need to understand that "success is about paying the price - to get there, and to stay there" and "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will".

Interests (such as IT) can come and go, but the philosophy of hard work, determination, and giving 100% is forever.

"Play with Linux as a kid. Get a 4.0, 1600 SAT, and tons of extra curriculars. Bang all the high school hotties."

LOL...surely you know that those are mutually exclusive?

fuck girls

I wouldn't take a 1 year computer course like a I did, and I'd go to University instead like I'm doing now part time.

I'd tell him to get his computer science degree if thats the feild he wants to go into. He can alsways work on certs on the side.

""Play with Linux as a kid. Get a 4.0, 1600 SAT, and tons of extra curriculars. Bang all the high school hotties.""

"LOL...surely you know that those are mutually exclusive? "

lol true, but you gotta aim high. Set your goals low, and that is exactly what you will achieve.

Great thread.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will".

Awesome quote...I'll have to remember that one.