Who Is The Danaher Of Judo Instruction?

Who Is The John Danaher Of Judo? What I mean is, who teaches with lots of details and puts together systems, not just a collection of techniques? A big plus if they wrote books or filmed instructionals.

Good question. There are many judo books especially the Master Class Series which I have and used so much in my judo career. Seminars with world class players really takes your game to another level. Video’s by world class retired players you can pick up some tips to add to your game. Recently Jimmy Pedro has developed American Judo System which I think you are looking for. Go to Travis Stevens FB page and he posted Jimmy telling what this is and how to subscribe. First time I have seen an attempt to .bring it all together. in a system.

1 Like

I’d say Jimmy Pedro also. Kayla and Travis use his gripping patterns which we do as well.

1 Like

Anyone ever train with Stephen Cunningham? I think he’s in CT. He put out the best judo video instructional I’ve seen so far.

Train, no. Really haven’t heard of him other than reading past articles posted because of the above comment. I seen his very long article on Osoto-gari. I attended a seminar by Yamashita back in the 90’s/2000’s and learned his fine points.of osoto-gari. Yamashita stressed stepping in his foot along side the opponent vs many who teach today stepping in past the support leg of uke. He also stressed curling your support leg toes grabbing them into the tamami. But Yamashita gets his off balance primary from his sleeve hand that pulls down and into his body. and his collar hand that drives up into along side of uke’s chin… Also, Yamashita has his unique ken ken osoto-gari.for competition. Another Sensei who taught of us for 9 months was In-chul Cho Korean Olympic Silver medal and world champion twice. He stressed lowering your weight somewhat on the planted leg, and sliding your reaping leg toes along the mat. if you do this properly you can hear your toes gliding across the tatami. Point is each has their own unique way (body mechanics) that make the throw work for them. We can learn from them and adapt it to our body mechanics. Video is of Yamashita’s Osoto-gari/competition ken ken Osoto-gari. https://youtu.be/u0ax8T1e_Fc

Darcel yandzi (sp?)

Thanks for the attached links.

I’ve not trained with a wide swath of instructors but in my limited experience had two standouts.

Mario Rubio. Former US team member from ‘80’s. Very detail oriented & extremely patient. I was a new white belt at the time so couldn’t appreciate what he was capable of presenting to students. He taught a very basic grouping of techniques that flowed together but that was only for my beginners classes. He’s in Mexico now & I don’t know if he’s still teaching. No books or videos either.

Christophe Leininger. There’s a lot out there about him & I have my own reservations on certain things as well. He did have a system for attacks from several opposing styles(Russian over the shoulder, hunched tentative Bjj style, opponents spamming foot sweeps, etc). It’s been 10+yrs since I trained with him but think he’s still in the SLO area teaching with a small group. He does have some issues, or at least did back then, but the guy did put together a solid & well thought out plan for several scenarios & would include several ways to steer the match into one of them.

I’m at work & on my phone so sorry for the vague reply. Phone posts on here can be difficult.

kashiwazaki is strong candidate. for his developed tomoe nage variations as well as his specific arsenal of throws and takedown modified for his bad back (sumi gaeshi etc. ). he also promoted specific attacking variations as well. also he specialized in newaza, although not as systematic as danahar.

He is pretty amazing.

I’ve a friend who is going to sell his Steve Cunningham VHS on eBay, so it might behoove anyone in the market for rare sets to keep an eye on there, as those seldom come up, and the time to get them, is when you see them, because who knows when they’ll surface again.

1 Like

i have nothing to do with the sale BTW, he wanted to know if i wanted to buy them but i told him he’d get a much better price on ebay. They always bring at least a hundred bucks any time they pop up.

1 Like