Who Knows Generators??

I live in South Florida. I wanted to purchase a standby generator for my home but an odd quirk of my municipality is that there is no natural gas and they don’t allow you to bury propane tanks on the property because of flood risk and fire. As a result, I have to get as large a portable generator as I could find. I purchased a Generac 15000E. It has good reviews and the company has a really solid reputation.

Now, I have to get the transfer switch installed and set the electrical system of the home up to run off the generator. It should run just about everything except the dryer and the pool pump. As long as our AC and internet work we will be fine. 

I’m asking advice from the Og because I’ve not done electrical work professionally in almost 20 years. What should I expect in terms of price for materials and install of an appropriate transfer switch by a licensed electrician? Also, is there a specific transfer switch I should be looking for? Thanks in advance.

GuttyProfessor

I know nothing about this subject, but ttt for you.

About 750 to wire it up

Lowes just finished installing a 22K natural gas Generac at my home today.  I know that doesnt answer your question though.

That’s awesome SoupandBeer. Good generator?

GuttyProfessor - 

That’s awesome SoupandBeer. Good generator?

It appears to work on the test.  I was always wanting one in the past because of ice storms and tropical storms / hurricanes.   What finally pushed me into it was prospect of going through a power outage in the middle of a pandemic with nowhere to evacuate.

Yeah. We’ve had a smaller generator for years because of hurricanes. The last one could run everything but the AC. I pulled it out to start it up the other day and the damn engine was seized. I tore it apart and serviced it myself but the damn thing just doesn’t want to run. I figured that if I had to get a new one I want one that will run the important stuff like the AC, internet, refrigerators (2 of them), and stuff like that. The Generac model I selected should be plenty of power for this place unless we run the pool pump, AC, dryer, dishwasher, microwave, etc. all at one time.

I've ran a couple generacs, they're good for the price.

Pisses me off your city is making it hard to install a permanent generator.  So you can have neither above nor below groud propane tank?  The fire danger is horseshit, millions of homes around the US are heated with propane and have tanks in the yard (above and below ground).  Below ground is even safer.

Could you set a fuel tank instead (gas or diesel)?

Having a generac 27kw installed right now. They are installing a 200 amp transfer switch... Idk if that helps any

The lack of natural gas sucks. My buddy has a Generac hooked up to natural gas. It is a huge house. I was dog sitting for him and watching a Conor McGregor UFC PPV at his house when the power died as the fighters were walking out. I started screaming. A couple seconds later everything came back on courtesy of the generator. It was beautiful.

1 Like
8flat -

Pisses me off your city is making it hard to install a permanent generator.  So you can have neither above nor below groud propane tank?  The fire danger is horseshit, millions of homes around the US are heated with propane and have tanks in the yard (above and below ground).  Below ground is even safer.

No natural gas lines and no sinking a tank. I went to city hall website to see about getting a permit and the woman in that department I spoke on phone with said it isn’t allowed. No sinking a gasoline or diesel tank either. Yes. It sucks.

220. 221. Whatever it takes.

UltimateKeyboardWarrior - The lack of natural gas sucks. My buddy has a Generac hooked up to natural gas. It is a huge house. I was dog sitting for him and watching a Conor McGregor UFC PPV at his house when the power died as the fighters were walking out. I started screaming. A couple seconds later everything came back on courtesy of the generator. It was beautiful.

Yup. In my situation, I’ll have to drag it out of the garage and plug it in. I’d miss about 1 round of fighting. Not ideal but far better than having nothing for weeks after a Hurricane hits. Years ago when Wilma hit us, I didn’t have power for almost a month. It was very uncomfortable.

Kohler

GuttyProfessor -
8flat -

No natural gas lines and no sinking a tank. I went to city hall website to see about getting a permit and the woman in that department I spoke on phone with said it isn’t allowed. No sinking a gasoline or diesel tank either. Yes. It sucks.

I would buy a tank, dig a hole and install it myself. Those type of regulations are bullshit.

GuttyProfessor -
8flat -

So the only option for heating your house or running your stove/oven is electric?

I'm guessing an above-ground tank is out of the question?  You can hide them quite easy.  Wouldn't need a huge tank.

I was thinking about getting a Generac installed. I have a fairly big house (6000 sq ft) but do have access to natural gas and electric.

How much do they charge to install these things? Also, what kind of yearly maintenace is required and how much does that cost?

Rocky Dennis - I was thinking about getting a Generac installed. I have a fairly big house (6000 sq ft) but do have access to natural gas and electric.

How much do they charge to install these things? Also, what kind of yearly maintenace is required and how much does that cost?

My 22K generac was $9700 installed.   I gave a passing thought to doing the install myself with a buddy who knows electrical work and glad I didn't.  It's a lot of shit to get done, permits, etc.

Soup and Beer -
Rocky Dennis - I was thinking about getting a Generac installed. I have a fairly big house (6000 sq ft) but do have access to natural gas and electric.

My 22K generac was $9700 installed.   I gave a passing thought to doing the install myself with a buddy who knows electrical work and glad I didn't.  It's a lot of shit to get done, permits, etc.

Did your install include an automatic transfer switch or is it manual? I would really love to have a completely automatic setup (generator and xfer switch) but have always figured the electric work would make it too expensive.

8flat -
GuttyProfessor -
8flat -

So the only option for heating your house or running your stove/oven is electric?

I'm guessing an above-ground tank is out of the question?  You can hide them quite easy.  Wouldn't need a huge tank.

Yes. The whole area of the city has no gas feeds to the homes. None at all. I was actually shocked when I found out. We have an electric range but usually cook outside in the outdoor kitchen where we have grills and stuff that either burn wood coal or run on propane. We even have propane burners and stuff so the gas stove wasn’t ever an issue for us.