Who makes a good drumset nowadays

Just needed some advice on a new drumset. I haven't bought one in over 7 years and I stopped getting Modern Drummer over 5 years ago.

My last set was stolen about 2 years ago and I haven't played since. I want to play again and I'm finally making enough dough to afford a new set.

I have owned Yamaha, Pearl, and Mapex in the past...

What company makes a good set now. I was thinking about getting a Fibes acrylic set (kinda expensive though) or a Sonor set. Any suggestions?

Afriend of mine still has a Yamaha Power Recoding Series kit. Sounds great.

Orange County Drums are pretty nice.

Mmmm... what kind of music do I play?

I've played several different types of music in the past like hardcore, punk, post punk (emo), heavy metal, classic rock, tejano, praise and worship, ska, and island music. In the future, I would like to learn jazz music. I do not know what my next band will play.

I know what sound I like though. I like a fat, warm sounding kit. Like John Bonham's kits. That's the reason I am interested in an Fibes Acrylic drumset.

FYI. The Blue Man Group uses Fibes drums exclusively and I freakin' love the way they sound.

Also, how are the electronic drums of today. I heard they've made some great progress.

Yeah,go for the Fibes Crystalites!I have a nice set of old Martin eras which I restored with new bearing edges (the old ones were about as even as a dirt road),hoops,and some new parts etc. Tommy and Stacey at the new Fibes in Austin are nice Texans!

The new shells are a superior acrylic to mine,and the new seams are way stronger(my old snare seam cracked wide open when doing the edges,but I re-glued and epoxied).

Personally,I have grown to enjoy the look of the lugs,but some people think not.All of their parts are now made in the States,except tension rods.If you get a snare and hit hard,stay away from their effective-yet-antiquated SFT strainer.They also offer Trick drum strainers as an option,which are a rack and pinion throw-off.As well,consider add-on Pearl bass drum legs instead of Fibes.They are funtional enough,but are spring loaded,easy to lose,and have no height or forward/back movement.Very crucial.

If you want wood drums,again,go with Fibes.They use a gumwood/maple laminate ply made in factory!These are a copy of the classic Gretsch lay-up (my favorite).

I'm thinking of adding an acrylic bass drum woofer(8x22") to my old kit,just to add some low-end.If you live in Canada I can build you a kit using Golden (Gold'n' ?)Times acrylic shells and Taiwan hardware.It would be around half the cost,plus they offer a blank John Bonham shell set for under 4-500$.Or,you could just make them yourself,of course.

Enjoy!BTW,Chicks and other musicians love being seen with acrylic drums and drummers.

"Also, how are the electronic drums of today."

Our band practices with a Roland electric drum set. I think the brain is a TD-8 or something. It sounds pretty good.

Buy a roland TD-6 to TD-10 on ebay, subscribe to the yahoo group called "Electronic Drums", scour the older messages with links to DIY sites, and build your own.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/ElectronicDrums/

This set looks really cool.

or this maybe?

lol!

Years later, that kid is sporting tribal tatts, highlights, and drives an integra with a fart tip.

The hands-down best value in drums right now Conaway. They are your standard Keller maple shells. Dave Conaway takes a lot of time getting the job done right. I've seen several drums he's built, and the construction quality blows away that of my Pearl set. He builds and finishes them himself, and he Emails you pictures throughout the process so you can see your set as it's being built.The same ones that many of today's top drum makers use. Dave Conaway will build anything you want (finishes, hardware, etc.). Don't feel you're limited to the things you see on his site. However, the ridiculously low prices start to climb quickly when you start asking for a lot of custom hardware (lugs, casings, etc).If I was in the market for a new kit, I'd buy a Conaway without thinking twice about it. The only downside is that you don't get to throw them in your car and take them home today.

BTW, I'd go with black Turret lug casings (the round ones in the middle):With the Electric Yellow finish:Maybe with a Birdseye Maple veneer.

Roland V-20

this set is electronic but sounds and feels almost exactly like an acoustic...it also costs about $6K

its awesome.

Those are fun. I have the previous model (Expanded TD-10), which came with my Roland V-Pro kit. Great for practice and quick recording, but I didn't like the sounds I got when I gigged with it.

very nice

Almost every post production facility I've seen has a roland TD-10 setup.

Nice for triggering sound effects.

Can I ask a question - are beginner drumkits worth getting? As
some of you know, I recently picked up the elec bass guitar after
years on the piano/keyboards and more recently the double bass.
I'm having loads of fun with the elec bass, it's opened up a whole
new world for me and I would like to muck around on the drums
as well. Are beginner kits gig-able? Or are they something you
keep at home to practice on only? I'm not talking about doing
high profile jazz gigs or anything, maybe just punk, rock, maybe
funk gigs. These starter kit packages are affordable for me.

For example:

http://www.allans.com.au/Products.asp?prod=TPR522WR

And the starter kit package near the top of the page:

http://www.drumtek.com.au/html/d-retail.html

The only 2 beginner kits I'd consider are Pearl Export (and Export Select) and Tama Rockstar (and Rockstar Custom). In fact, I have a Pearl Export Select that looks and sounds great.However, if I had been patient enough to wait, I would have gone with Conaway for just a few dollars more. It's a much better value.

gakami,

Look at the sets hardware. If it has good sturdy hardware that you can trust while moving them around a lot or doing frequent gigging chances are its a good road worthy beginner kit. Look at the lugs, bass drum legs, floor tom wing bolts, bass drum pedal, cymbal and snare stands' legs, and tom mounts. If bass drum legs are skinny and stands aren't double braced, I'd say move along.

Also, when you get a new starter class kit you will almost always need to change out the drumheads immediately. The drum companies usually put the cheapest, ugliest sounding heads they can find on their starter kits.

Thanks for your responses, I'm checking out the Pearl and Tama and
Conaway kits online right now. I'll have to see if the shops stock those
ones here in Australia, hopefully they're cheap like the ones I posted
above cos I won't be able to afford them.

embalmer - I wish I knew what to look out for in the hardware, I am
not a drummer and don't really know one personally. I'm not sure how
skinny is too skinny for a drum leg and I'm not sure what double
braced stands look like. Drumheads are the skins of the drums right?
What sound should I be looking for in the drums, how do I know when
a drumkit sounds bad? Also, how do I know if the drums sound bad
because of the hardware itself, not the drumhead? And what is the next
most affordable drumheads if I have to replace them?