Who makes a good drumset nowadays

Well, the pics of both the kits you mentioned above seem to have double braced hardware. That's good. Just have the guy at the music shop explain the differences between single and double braced hardware.

As far as the bass drum legs go; If the legs "disappear" inside bass drum rather than fold along side the bass drum stay away (unless it is a vintage set). It looks like the kits your checking out have folding legs.

If the harware looks good the next thing you should do is inspect the bearing edges. That is the part of the drum that touches the actual drumhead. Make sure they are very smooth and are cut at an angle. You will have to take the actual drumhead and rims off before you do this.

The drumheads or drumskins are the most important part of the overall drum sound, IMO. The ones that come with starter kits are usually too thin and cheap. In turn it will make your kit sound horrible. On the other hand, a good set of drumheads will make a novice drumset sound great. If your gonna play punkrock, I would recommend you get EVANS Hydraulic heads (Evans last longer)or REMO Pinstripe heads because they sound great and aren't hard to tune. I would also get a REMO Powerstroke III for the bass drum and throw a small blanket inside to muffle the ringing.

thanks embalmer, you've given me a lot good info to start with. If those drums I was talking about are decent, I will consider getting them. I checked out Melbourne music shops with websites but can't find the Pearl, Tama and Conaway kits yet..

You won't find Conaway in any stores. It's one guy that hand-makes them.