Who makes the best transmissions?

Honda fwd automatics?

BMW 5 speed RWD automatics?

Toyota manuals?

Mark

I'm gonna say liberty or lenco, but I come from a whacked perspective on things :)

Toyota for manuals.

For the supra, they assemble the six speed trans in close to boiling oil. This allows for closer tolerances.

Never spoke to TMS about any other Toyota manual.....not worthy

http://www.quaifeamerica.com/

a little pricey though

Timoxen,

Do you have more info on the Toyota assemly process? I would like to learn more about it. I have doubts.

Tolerances aren't established during assembly. They are established at manufacture. You might be thinking about the heat treat process which uses high temperature oil to control distortion. Even so, the parts are finished by grinding, honing or superfinishing later.

Mark

Will I cut and paste? No. Not my style.

I just go off of what the manager of the Toyota Motor Sales Powertrain division tells me. I beleive that his credentials speak for themselves.

He says that since you are operating the trans in very hot conditions when you are using it, it should be assembled and adjusted in a similar environment.

How? by robot methods.

Have I personally witnessed it? No

Has he ever lead me wrong in the past? Never.

Can he be bribed by a series of lap dances at a local "research" facility? Perhaps

I am not saying that you are wrong, I am just saying I have never heard of it. And I have spent about 7 years in the automotive manufacturing business. And the majority of that time in transmission and engine plants. Ford, Honda, GM, MB, Renault, Fiat, Dana, AAM, ZF, Visteon etc.

If they are doing it, they are doing something that is completely new.

When gears and parts are hardened, they will distort to a certain degree. This can be controlled by elevating temp of the oil quench bath to between 200-400 degrees f, depending on the material and process. (This might be what you are refering to) After tempering, the gears are then machined again to a final tolerance through grinding or honing. This brings them to a final specified dimension. Assembly would do little or nothing to distort the parts. Heat and mechanical pressure would be the only things that could distort gearbox components. They would have to reach temps over 1000f to see any distorting, however slight. And to distort parts by mechanical force during assembly would be very difficult.

Like I said, I am not doubting what you heard, I am just doubting the validity of it, thats all. And if it is true, I would really like to see it.

Mark

Mark,

Do you even know how many lappers that is going to take to see something like that? That would be my kid's college fund right there!

What are thee lappers you speak of? I have heard wild and fanciful stories of these mysterious things.

Excuse me while I get ready for church. :)

Mark

Well, I know its not Honda, considering they recalled 600,000 vehicles for faulty transmissions.

Mark

I heard saturns shift pretty smooth.

I believe NVG makes the Saturn AT. Aisin makes the CVT.

Mark

Mark,

A lapper is an important research tool.... or has something to do with a tool..... or a personal meeting with a tool....or something like that

I'll have to get back with you on that. Need to do some pricing research ;)

Assembly while hot may improve tolerances because of expansion?

Dodge omni! i used to neutral drop the shit out of a loner Omni back in HS. Muddy dirt roads, hand brake fun, I used to pound the piss out of that thing. lol

The supra six speed is not a toyota transmission.

It is the same getrag that comes in some GM cars.

Historically, ZF, Hewland, Jerico, and Weismann make the best transmissions of all.

I kinda meant production vehicles when I made the thread.

Ponyboy got to the point of this thread. You see people debating this manufacturers transmission is "smoother" than that manufacturer and whatnot. Most dont realize that alot of OEMs buy transmissions from other suppliers. ZF, Tremec, Getrag, Borg-Warner, Allison, etc etc. And some manufacturers buy transmissions from other manufacturers, like BMW uses GM transmissions and Rolls Royce uses Ford sourced transmissions.

Mark

So........when did rolls royce switch from GM transmissions to ford units?

I'm tellin ya, there's nothing like a Lenco planetary transmission... most fun you'll ever have in a car.

They are!!! Liberty I think makes a street planetary that works a lot like a normal manual only no clutch after 1st gear. First gear has 3 positions, neutral reverse and 1st, then after then it's just bangin!\

The race one's aren't too tough to drive around tho, you just can't downshift :)