Who remembers when Rumble Johnson

Was afraid to stand up with Dan Hardy and instead down him down and held him there for a 3 round UD. 

looking back with what we know now that seems like an alternate universe. 

3 Likes

He threw Dan's yoga mat pretty far too

4 Likes

Didn't he drop Dan Hardy twice in that fight?

S Dubaya - 

Was afraid to stand up with Dan Hardy and instead down him down and held him there for a 3 round UD. 

He wasn’t ‘afriad’ to stand with Hardy. He knew Hardy’s wrestling was a fucking joke and decided to get a win the easy way. Rumble is a fantastic wrestler and should have used it more often in his fights.

It made Hardy a better fighter too, as he worked his ass off on his wrestling after that fight to prevent anyone else from doing that to him again.

1 Like

Remember when Rumble got subbed by Rich Clementi?

3 Likes
Steve4192 -
S Dubaya - 

He wasn’t ‘afriad’ to stand with Hardy. He knew Hardy’s wrestling was a fucking joke and decided to get a win the easy way. Rumble is a fantastic wrestler and should have used it more often in his fights.

It made Hardy a better fighter too, as he worked his ass off on his wrestling after that fight to prevent anyone else from doing that to him again.

Yeah, that worked out lol 

Remember when rumble was resigned to ufc in a lhw fight against Phil Davis? Came back and dominated that fight with amazing Cardio and became the scariest fighter at 205? That was my favorite Johnson moment I was so excited for his comeback. Great performance.

1 Like
Brandonbrazell -

Didn't he drop Dan Hardy twice in that fight?

I remember him dropping Hardy with a head kick in the first round, not sure about a second knock down? I might rewatch that fight this evening and see....

Steve4192 -
S Dubaya - 

He should’ve tried to use wrestling vs DC 2

that was a rumble who cut a lot of weight. more susceptible to a KO. he could have stood with hardy and probably KO'd him but why not exploit his weakness. hardy was a hard puncher too.

I don’t care how you explain it. The story here is Rumble Johnson the one time boogie man at 205 who no one wants to fight on the feet once foot Dan Hardy and he was the one who avoid the feet the entire fight. That’s the story. 

I still try to figure out how Rumble isn't dead from those weight cuts to 170lbs. 

1 Like

I saw him at the Ontario airport in 2009.  I had come through TSA and was putting all my shit back together. No one around at all.  No line at all.  I see him walking through the metal detector but he went the other way so I didn't say anything to him.  About 15 minutes later I saw him in the newsstand store so I walked up and said hi.  He was fuckin huge.  I asked him what he weighed and he said 225. I said 'the cut must be hell' and he replied "It's really not that bad".  I said "Even the last day?  Those final lbs?"  "Yeah, fuck that part sucks.  Yeah, you right.  Those are really bad".

2 Likes
Samoa -

I saw him at the Ontario airport in 2009.  I had come through TSA and was putting all my shit back together. No one around at all.  No line at all.  I see him walking through the metal detector but he went the other way so I didn't say anything to him.  About 15 minutes later I saw him in the newsstand store so I walked up and said hi.  He was fuckin huge.  I asked him what he weighed and he said 225. I said 'the cut must be hell' and he replied "It's really not that bad".  I said "Even the last day?  Those final lbs?"  "Yeah, fuck that part sucks.  Yeah, you right.  Those are really bad".

Most fighters in the offseason are 25-30lbs heavier than their fight weight. This guy was over 50 lol. 

AnthonyWeiner - Remember when Rumble got subbed by Rich Clementi?

Yup - Koscheck too

Steve4192 -
S Dubaya - 

Yeah, he should’ve used it more.  I remember all those Rumble fights that he lost because he didn’t grapple enough. 

I would look at the screen yelling “Rumble use your fantastic wrestling”

I remember his fight with Brenneman having a comical size difference 

explodin - 
Steve4192 -
S Dubaya - 

Yeah, he should’ve used it more.  I remember all those Rumble fights that he lost because he didn’t grapple enough. 

I would look at the screen yelling “Rumble use your fantastic wrestling”

At the very least, he should have threatened the takedown more often in order to open up his striking even more. It’s a hell of a lot easier to punch/kick a guy in the head when he is keeping his hands low in order to be able to get underhooks on a takedown attempt.