Who sends their KIDS to summer CAMP?

Were are deciding between 3 summer day camps for our 6 yr old, it will be his first time.

Other than all the fun activities, im really interested in the future networking that happens between the campers as the years go by.  My wife attended summer camp as well as several of my friends.  All of them have kept in touch w their bunk mates and have successfully networked with each other in business , academic, and personal situations.  Traditionally, most of the camps here are run by and patronized mostly by Jewish people and many non jews , like us, specifically seek out these camps bc of this.

Can anyone share their camp experiences?

Z NEDCMK1 - 

It just doesn't matter.

it just wouldn't matter, because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from Mohawk cause they've got all the money!

Note: At about age 8 I was sent to summer camp all summer by my parents.

To young imo. Still a baby.

BrowBeater - 6 seems really young to send away! I have a 9 year old... I'd maybe send her to a camp, but I'd still be worried about her. 6 seems crazy.

But maybe that's just me.
I agree with this. My son was doing day camps at that age, but not sleep away. Even when he did start sleep away camps, I attended with him until he was in Boy Scouts. As far as future networking, I don't see that happening. He'll be lucky if he remembers his bunk mates name, let alone stays in contact with them.

It is a DAY camp, not sleep away camp 

He will get picked up by a bus and dropped off at our home each day.

The camps are very close to the lakes i frequent during the summer, so ill be able to pick him up, and drop by pretty often

My son goes to the YMCA summer camp. It's awesome. They go on field trips many days a weeks all over town and when they aren't on field trips, they are playing games and being active.

EasyTapper -
BrowBeater - 6 seems really young to send away! I have a 9 year old... I'd maybe send her to a camp, but I'd still be worried about her. 6 seems crazy.

But maybe that's just me.
I agree with this. My son was doing day camps at that age, but not sleep away. Even when he did start sleep away camps, I attended with him until he was in Boy Scouts. As far as future networking, I don't see that happening. He'll be lucky if he remembers his bunk mates name, let alone stays in contact with them.

Which part of the country are you from?

My wife and my friends who went to camp keep in touch with their camp friends and talk still talk about their times to this very day.  My wife got her first job out of college as well as another of her jobs w the help of friends she kept in contact with from camp.

Other friends have done the same.

I ask where you are from bc maybe the jewish aspect of it here lends itself to the whole networking thing.

I hope my kid befriends the next mark zuckerberg lol

I have some excellent memories of day camps during the summer as a kid. Seemed like we were always headed to some adventure. 

Z NEDCMK1 -

I work with a couple Jewish guys who live in bombs in Alpine.

Those camps at an older age are HUGE networking opportunities.

I work with a 50 year old salesman who has get togethers with the guys he went to camp with.

I think it is an NYC area Jewish thing.

I don't think they would have let a poor Irish kid like me in there, even if my parents had the dough.

Depnds on the camp, from what i hear

There are ultra elite camps in the adirondacks and maine, and there are orthodox camps.  The jewish kids at these camps are mostly your everyday, non orthodox kids, although many observe Kosher.

They have kids that travel from diff asian coubtries to attend these camps....and a few of our kids non jewish classmates will be attending.

BrowBeater -
Greenup - To young imo. Still a baby.
Agree.

Not sleep away vamp, just day camp

We will be doing a 1 week sleep away camp together though

Z NEDCMK1 -
In Limbo - 
Z NEDCMK1 -

I work with a couple Jewish guys who live in bombs in Alpine.

Those camps at an older age are HUGE networking opportunities.

I work with a 50 year old salesman who has get togethers with the guys he went to camp with.

I think it is an NYC area Jewish thing.

I don't think they would have let a poor Irish kid like me in there, even if my parents had the dough.

Depnds on the camp, from what i hear

There are ultra elite camps in the adirondacks and maine, and there are orthodox camps.  The jewish kids at these camps are mostly your everyday, non orthodox kids, although many observe Kosher.

They have kids that travel from diff asian coubtries to attend these camps....and a few of our kids non jewish classmates will be attending.

The networking is ridiculous, although I feel like a douchebag talking about networking for a kid, but it holds true, they form lifelong relationships with kids who will likely be successful, and these relationships offer upward mobility.

Do it.

Yes it does sound douchey to talk about networking lol.  But parents talk about future plans like college, they put their kids in sports in hopes of future benefits like scholarships, going pro, etc.

At least networking has a greater chance of success in several areas compared to your kid going pro in a sport or getting a full ride

chaplinshouse -

couldn't tell u a single kid's name that i went to camp with at 10.  i remember the counselor's name though:  Dallas.  Pothead really into The Police

Lol

BrowBeater -
In Limbo -
BrowBeater -
Greenup - To young imo. Still a baby.
Agree.

Not sleep away vamp, just day camp

We will be doing a 1 week sleep away camp together though

Ah! Hmmm... Well that"s different. Sorry, I missed that.

I went to day camps when I was younger.... But I think I was like 9ish. They were like sports camps.

6 is young but probably fine. Just depends on your kid (are they well behaved and do they WANT to go), and depends on the camp and the people who run it.

Yeah my kid is a little social butterfly caveman...but well behaved and plays nice...he just has tons of energy...we actually need something for him to channel his energy into so we are considering camps

They start kids at 4 yrs old .

He ll be swimming 2 times a day everyday along w other activities.......one of the directors is an eagle scout so he incoporates lots of scouting activities for the kids

Teachers

I think I went to sleep away camp starting at a very young age. I remember it was day camp for awhile, but I was super active in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, so I quickly started in on the week long camps.

Eventually I started going to Woodward every year for two weeks, and then got a job there (extreme sports camp in the middle of Amish country, PA). 
When I have kids, as soon as they can walk they are going to adventure-oriented summer camps. Everything cool I enjoy started there- white water rafting, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, ropes courses, horse riding, go karts, etc.

My family was poor so the camp I went to was pretty much just sheds in the woods.

But I loved it.

It literally was like the poor camp from Meatballs.

..and the things that went on there were pretty much the same.

kennyfrommd -

I think I went to sleep away camp starting at a very young age. I remember it was day camp for awhile, but I was super active in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, so I quickly started in on the week long camps.

Eventually I started going to Woodward every year for two weeks, and then got a job there (extreme sports camp in the middle of Amish country, PA). 
When I have kids, as soon as they can walk they are going to adventure-oriented summer camps. Everything cool I enjoy started there- white water rafting, climbing, skiing, snowboarding, ropes courses, horse riding, go karts, etc.

Sone of my friends went to woodward for skateboarding, but i never got the chance

Damn thanks for reminding me about that...my kid skateboards pretty well for his age, i take him to the local skate park w me

kennyfrommd - 

Baby, I'd love to show you Intercourse........Pennsylvania!

kennyfrommd -

I'll be sending my girls to overnight camps as soon as they're old enough for the reasons you listed. They'll get to do all that cool outdoors stuff that you can't really do in the city. For now, they do a couple of different day camps. This past summer they did a gymnastics camp, which they both loved. We're thinking about a horse riding camp this summer, which my wallet is already hating me for...

I've never really considered the networking aspects of camp. It seems very strange to think about for kids that age. Although I do have my kids in violin and dance throughout the school year, in part so that they are able to connect with other kids from families that have higher expectations for their children.

I grew up poor as shit, so all this is new to me. Haha.