who uses a S & C training for jiu jitsu ?

I have been thinkng of adding a trainer to help with my jiu jitsu. would it be worth it ?

Do three push up, pull up and leg work (walking lunges, hi box step ups etc) variations regularly with full ROM & mainly body weight. Use a single kettlebell for a few well rounded S & C compound moves & call it a day. Things can get out of hand with training trends, gadgets and motivational coaches - and time plus  expenses to do this all. Roll a lot. Drill as you choose but ROLL as much as you can each session to open up those creative pathways Start before the timer and be the last one off the mat. I got to blackbelt this way; rolling to explore and expand, not so much win each round. Time tested simplicity is what S& C comes down to. You are your own trainer.

I consider our load and tear down my s&c. It's tough and I practice grip variations and take down setups and turn anything I can think of into a Jiu Jitsu drill. I 100% believe it makes a difference. I give up a lot of training being on the road and this stuff helps me stay strong.

If you compete, it's a necessity.   A lot a good programs out there.  Rooney, Renzo's S&C guy has great workouts and exercises if you are looking for variety. He has a couple books, training for warriors and another one of just workouts and stuff other martial arts do for S&C work.

Strength, conditioning and mobility work is a must in my opinion.

Listen to the new Raspberry Ape podcast (Daniel Strauss) with guest Benjamin Naylor.  They talk a bit about lifting in all regards and which lifts work well for different activities.

I currently use this routine workout A Monday chest ,shoulders,triceps,calves     Wed. Workout b upper leg,back,bicep,forearm,calves Friday repeat workout A then Monday move on to workout b ext diet I fast then eat 1 -2 big meals making sure it doesn't exceed 1750 cal a day then sat have a big carb day 

Thanks for all the input !!

A lot of bjj guys will steer you into kettle bell circuits and body weight BS that are neither good at making you strong or conditioned. 

Bjj rolling will make you more best conditioned, aerobically speaking. Beyond that, steady state cardio will be most beneficial for your general aerobic capacity. 

As for strength, if you have no lifting under your belt, it's probably best to follow a simple strength program like starting strength or 5x5. Those will give you much better strength gains and build more muscle than kettle bell or body weight circuits. 

acm5060 - 

A lot of bjj guys will steer you into kettle bell circuits and body weight BS that are neither good at making you strong or conditioned. 

Bjj rolling will make you more best conditioned, aerobically speaking. Beyond that, steady state cardio will be most beneficial for your general aerobic capacity. 

As for strength, if you have no lifting under your belt, it's probably best to follow a simple strength program like starting strength or 5x5. Those will give you much better strength gains and build more muscle than kettle bell or body weight circuits. 

Im in agreement a basic 5x5 program is the best for laying a foundation. But kettlebells and odyweight related exercises (i prefer suspension like trx, etc) are excellent supplements to bjj training.

Doing more jiujitsu for conditioning has its problems. I can do hard workout circuit of kettlebells, assault bike and trx that will help my conditioning without further irritating my chronic injuries. Adding intense sparring rounds would only make my injuries worse becuase I cannot control the movements, positioning, pressure and torque, etc of my opponenent on my neck, shoulder, hip and knee. I can fully control pace, form, movements, etc of a kbell, etc workout. Prior to repairing my right shoulder I could do intense kbell circuits and even snatch a 72lb bell for several reps. Sparring would make my shoulder ache from being smashed, torqued and having to grip fight or work striking.

And since I have a foundation of strenght and mass laid by decades of weightlifing, I have no desire to get stronger or bigger, so kbells, trx l, clubs, etc work well for me and others.

5/3/1 or a simple 5x5.

5/3/1 can be a bit much on the "heavy week"  but shouldn't kick your ass if you do it smart.

I'll go with Marcelo Garcia - the best exercise for jiujitsu is usually jiujitsu. It's not like wrestling and rolling with people doesn't make you fit and fast and strong.

Mix up some high paced wrestling stuff, and sport specific drills that work the muscles you want. Do a few hundred double legs before and after class if you think your legs need more development.

Beware of "tournament training" where the guys stop doing jiujitsu and start doing ridiculous crossfit stuff instead. Warm up with your fundamentals, drill like a maniac and roll till you drop.

If I'm getting all the rolling/wreslting/sparring I want, most lifting (especially back/bicep stuff) is overtraining and doesn't make me any stronger anyway. Koschek (a pretty strong guy) leans the same way - rolling an wrestling ARE his back and bicep days.