Who was Steve Judson?

I was looking at some old school UFC clips and I watched Brad Kohler's one shot KO of Steve Judson at UFC 22 from way back in 1999. I think that may still be the single hardest punch ever landed in the UFC, but that's certainy debatable. That guy went down like he got shot in the head.

I seem to remember there being some hype behind Judson going in despite the fact that he was making his MMA debut against Kohler, who already had 12-15 fights at the time. Judson fought once more, got KO'd again, and promptly faded into obscurity. Any details I can find about him via Google are scarce.

What was this dude's background and why was he being billed as such a prospect?  

Here's the video of his destruction.

Old school BJJ guy from Arizona. Think he competed at, or won, the Pan Am games. He used to have a clothes shop on Mill Avenue in Tempe, but it was kind of goofy and he wasn’t a very personable shop keeper.

I think he teaches BJJ in Prescott or something now. I heard a story about him throwing a guy through a window at a house party back in the day.

staygreenponyboy - Old school BJJ guy from Arizona. Think he competed at, or won, the Pan Am games. He used to have a clothes shop on Mill Avenue in Tempe, but it was kind of goofy and he wasn't a very personable shop keeper.

I think he teaches BJJ in Prescott or something now. I heard a story about him throwing a guy through a window at a house party back in the day.

Thanks, man. I wonder what he has to say about his utter failure of a fighting career. 

Hunched over, barely moving, hands low, outstretched neck with his chin jutting out…

Can’t believe that turned out bad. What went wrong there?

Pretty sure they introduced him as a GJJ fighter. 

stuff i remember about kohler:  his strategy was to shoot, then let em up, and they think hes gonna shoot again, he throws the hard right  to the face

he tried it vs telligman too

travis fulton accused him of beeing super roided and a midget

i think this was 2011

On September 29th, Gustavo promoted his first four black belts: Gary Matsch, Steve Judson, Chris Lopez and Brian Mitchell. All of them have over 10 years of training. This is great accomplishment for Gustavo and all of his new black belts. More pictures available at www.bjjphotos.com

Continue reading 

Vrill -
staygreenponyboy - Old school BJJ guy from Arizona. Think he competed at, or won, the Pan Am games. He used to have a clothes shop on Mill Avenue in Tempe, but it was kind of goofy and he wasn't a very personable shop keeper.

Thanks, man. I wonder what he has to say about his utter failure of a fighting career. 

How did yours go?

I remember that fight. Kohler looked so roided up it was like he was inflated. He sure shut Judson off like a switch.

Vrill - 

Man… why act like that? Sometimes my faith in people just goes super low, reading what some of you guys post on here.

I was there that night, it was fantastic. You could hear that punch land from the cheap seats.

I made a fake backstage laminate and was having fun watching the fighters warm up, come back from their fights etc. I was “all access” lol so I was walking around the fighters areas completely unchecked all night.

That whole fight card was amazing, one of the very best for the dera. The entrance of Jens Pulver. The epic Frank vs Tito fight too.

The most important part of that night was that it was the first UFC the Fertittas ever attended. The sport was never the same.

Okay, going 0-2 in MMA isn't ideal for anyone, but I should have phrased it differently and not used the words "a failure." I wasn't really trying to knock the guy. I respect anyone who gets into the cage, especially in the earlier days. 

stickman -
Vrill - 

Man… why act like that? Sometimes my faith in people just goes super low, reading what some of you guys post on here.

I agree. It’s low taking shots at a guy who took a chance on his dreams and came up short. Every fight has a winner and a loser. Fighting is a cruel enough sport. Most guys work their ass off, get paid peanuts, sacrifice their life and take tremendous risk. To shit on a guy who comes up short, that is low.

Legendary knockout. I believe it was UFC 20 or 22, it was one of the first batches of VHS-s I traded. I forced MMA/NHB on all my friends and most were just bored and wanted to fast-forward through most of the stuff. This was one the fights that made them raise eyebrows and go "hoooOOOOlyy SHIT!".

As for Judson’s posture I always thought it looked like he was initializing a sprawl as Kohler hunched down for seemingly another shot and then came with the overhand instead. How hard do you connect if the glove tears the skin on the chin? Top 10 most brutal knockouts.

I also believe I read somewhere that Judson was a police officer and is doing fine after his career, might be a mixup though.