Who's Betting on Conor McGregor

I'm Irish, have boxed, my wife has boxed and I am friends with a couple of guys who have been on the national team. This is the first I have ever heard of his national boxing title

Also, any high-level Irish boxers I know are unfortunately quite dismissive of MMA. It's quite a tight community so I'm sure they would have said a long time ago if he had boxed to any substantial level-let alone won a title

This has been brought up a few times on other forums, with people who boxed with Conor chiming in.

According to the available info Conor won the under 16s (16 years of age) schoolboy national ammy champ.

The trophy was shown and mentioned on his documentary "Notorious". So far that seems to be the title in question, unless Conor or someone else updates it

Bootsy Collins - Also, any high-level Irish boxers I know are unfortunately quite dismissive of MMA. It's quite a tight community so I'm sure they would have said a long time ago if he had boxed to any substantial level-let alone won a title
You know what I'm talking about bootsy.
I thought he was talking about the all Ireland seniors or maybe even intermediates. Then thought maybe he won a providence title ie Leinster/Connacht title. they are sort of like golden gloves for Ireland

Last I heard he boxed in the the Leinster intermediates and got beat in the semi finals. Phone Post 3.0

But let's get one thing clear, the guy would punch a hole in your head lol Phone Post 3.0

Stonemann - This has been brought up a few times on other forums, with people who boxed with Conor chiming in.

According to the available info Conor won the under 16s (16 years of age) schoolboy national ammy champ.

The trophy was shown and mentioned on his documentary "Notorious". So far that seems to be the title in question, unless Conor or someone else updates it
Heres some solid info. VU Phone Post 3.0

I'll put some money on a Conor KO\TKO. I don't see Conor winning a decision against Aldo with his style of eating punches and kicks and taunting. Good luck against Aldo.

The Sultan -
Stonemann - This has been brought up a few times on other forums, with people who boxed with Conor chiming in.

OP stated Conor was Irish amateur boxing champion.
This isn't an Irish amateur boxing title. Phone Post 3.0

Mercenary Tao -
The Sultan -

Could have worded that better, what I'm saying is OP stated Conor had more or less won a boxing title at the highest amateur level in Ireland which is not true. Phone Post 3.0

Mercenary Tao - 
Bootsy Collins - Also, any high-level Irish boxers I know are unfortunately quite dismissive of MMA. It's quite a tight community so I'm sure they would have said a long time ago if he had boxed to any substantial level-let alone won a title
You know what I'm talking about bootsy.
I thought he was talking about the all Ireland seniors or maybe even intermediates. Then thought maybe he won a providence title ie Leinster/Connacht title. they are sort of like golden gloves for Ireland

Last I heard he boxed in the the Leinster intermediates and got beat in the semi finals. Phone Post 3.0

Zactly!

Mercenary Tao -
Mercenary Tao -
The Sultan -

Could have worded that better, what I'm saying is OP stated Conor had more or less won a boxing title at the highest amateur level in Ireland which is not true. Phone Post 3.0
The point was that he had won some sort of championship. I think we are splitting hairs here.

The overall point is that his boxing has earned him some accolades and has now brought that experience with him to mma where his striking is leagues above everyone else. Hes a real pleasure to watch. I love watching skilled strikers. Phone Post 3.0

The Sultan -
Mercenary Tao -
Mercenary Tao -
The Sultan -

The point was that he had won some sort of championship. I think we are splitting hairs here.

The overall point is that his boxing has earned him some accolades and has now brought that experience with him to mma where his striking is leagues above everyone else. Hes a real pleasure to watch. I love watching skilled strikers. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I think you're right.

I agree, I'm not a Conor hater by the way. I do know him. Love everything he does bro. Phone Post 3.0

Molumba - I am a big Aldo fan & a bigger McGregor fan. I also run the Twitter page @UFCBet where I post my bets. I am betting €8000 on McGregor to win €18000

Reasons:

1) Reach. Conor has excellent use of distance and range. Siver couldn't get near him, and neither could Holloway. While Aldo is better than both, I think he will stay out of Aldo's range (yes including Aldo's famous leg kicks) and pump a piston straight left into Aldo's face every time Aldo tries to move forward.

2) KO Power. McGregor hits harder than any featherweight. Finishes almost every fight - only 1 he didn't finish in the UFC was a fight where he completely destroyed his knee, & still dominated a good fighter in Max Holloway

3) Endurance. McGregor trains more hours than any UFC athlete. He wakes up, goes to the gym, and trains from approx midday until after 10pm everyday. He puts in serious work.

4) Training Partners. Conor's main training partners are Cathal Pendred and Gunnar Nelson. While Pendred is god awful on the feet, he is actually one of the pound for pound strongest UFC fighters. Conor has to deal with his size and strength advantage daily. Gunnar is in the top 5 BJJ fighters in the UFC and he and Conor go at it daily. Conor is pushed hard by these two - a super strong welterweight and a BJJ expert welterweight.

5) Aldo underestimates Conor. Or at least he appears to. Conor's guard pass to mount against Siver was as smooth and slick as you will see. Conor has beaten a Gracie in BJJ. While I am not suggesting Conor's BJJ is as good as Aldo's, I think his size and strength advantage and the fact Aldo underestimates Conor's ground game means that Conor will shock him if it goes to the mat.

6) Conor is an Irish amateur boxing champion. To you that may not sound like a big deal, but Ireland has an extremely strong boxing history with top champions and gyms. To do well you have to be very good. Conor is famous for his flashy kicks, but it's his boxing that usually finishes fights.

Thoughts?

Damn you got some good odd's you should have bet more. But hell your already going to be winning a shit ton of cash, July 11 everyone will wish they had some of that Molumba Money

Mercenary Tao -
The Sultan -
Mercenary Tao -
Mercenary Tao -
The Sultan -

Yeah I think you're right.

I agree, I'm not a Conor hater by the way. I do know him. Love everything he does bro. Phone Post 3.0
Ya i agree. I was put off by the personality at first but the tide turned for me when he defeated Dustin Poirier. That was an epic performance. He definitely looked like a bad ass in that fight. Phone Post 3.0

Paddy Power won't let me bet more than €750. I'll have to go into some bookies and discuss the bet with management. That's a low limit on a fight bet. I wonder if that will increase closer to the fight. Odds of 2.2 to 1. It used to be 2.25 to 1. These odds will keep dropping imo Phone Post 3.0