Who's over 30 and still trying to figure out what.

they want to be when they grow up?  I swear, this has been the most frustrating thing in my life, never having a clear direction.  Got an engineering degree that I sort of use but was never too passionate about it.

3 Likes

Just enjoy driving the train and be grateful. 

4 Likes

I'm over 40 and I have no clue what I want to do.

4 Likes

biggator -

Just enjoy driving the train and be grateful. 

1 Like

Shit I’m 48 and have a well paying career but still feel like I want to do something else when I grow up. I’ve been addressing that by coaching on the side,  starting a non profit and dabbling in setting up fights for some pros.

3 Likes

Wally Saves -

I'm over 40 and I have no clue what I want to do.

This. 

1 Like

I'll be in my parents basement forever

2 Likes

Shit man 34 and always just had jobs. Never any real direction other than buying property that will hopefully pay off later.

1 Like

I'm pushing 40 and have no idea what I want to do for living. 

I know what I need to do and have been doing so for 20+ years, though. 

1 Like

having to go to work every day is one of the worst things about life imo. my jobs have ranged from barely tolerable to soul destroying. I hate working. i dont understand ppl that like it.

they either have no hobbies or a supreme bitch for a wife

I mean ppl dont generally pay ppl to do things that are fun.

im not a lazy person either, my hobbies are things like 30 mile backcountry mtn bike rides, or 3 day canoe trips.

10 Likes

How about get rich? Or at least enough money so you never have to work for money again.

many varied routes you can take for that

I enjoy my work as much as you can enjoy work.

My pay and job security are adequate.  The schedule is horseshit but my ability to take large chunks of time off a few times a year is great

It is also a means to an end.  I work to live, not the other way around.  I'm sailing this ship until it sinks.

I'll never be a baller at this rate, but I'll never NOT be a baller on a budget.

We live in a world where our work isn't really needed.  Any woman you find will be able to support herself if she wants to.  If you won't raise your kids, government will still provide welfare, food, education, etc.  You don't have a tribe that will recognize your contributions and value your membership.  As such, most people cannot find fulfillment in their work anymore.  With that said, pick something you are good at and can be well paid for and bear it.  Find fulfillment elsewhere in life.

4 Likes

I landed my dream job at 40. 

Ive always known what I wanted to do, it just took time to get the exact position I wanted. 

Don’t give up, it’s totally worth it! 

2 Likes

gregbrady -

having to go to work every day is one of the worst things about life imo. my jobs have ranged from barely tolerable to soul destroying. I hate working. i dont understand ppl that like it.

they either have no hobbies or a supreme bitch for a wife

I mean ppl dont generally pay ppl to do things that are fun.

im not a lazy person either, my hobbies are things like 30 mile backcountry mtn bike rides, or 3 day canoe trips.

Your last sentence, I'm the exact same way.  My hobbies are all "challenging" in one way or another.

Sandy Pantz -

We live in a world where our work isn't really needed.  Any woman you find will be able to support herself if she wants to.  If you won't raise your kids, government will still provide welfare, food, education, etc.  You don't have a tribe that will recognize your contributions and value your membership.  As such, most people cannot find fulfillment in their work anymore.  With that said, pick something you are good at and can be well paid for and bear it.  Find fulfillment elsewhere in life.

This is an interesting way of framing it.

1 Like

ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -

I'll be in my parents basement forever

But eventually it'll be YOUR basement.  It's just "deferred ownership".

Strangleu -

How about get rich? Or at least enough money so you never have to work for money again.

many varied routes you can take for that

What would you do after that?

Sandy Pantz -

very good insight

clattymine -

I landed my dream job at 40. 

Ive always known what I wanted to do, it just took time to get the exact position I wanted. 

Don’t give up, it’s totally worth it! 

i think im going to drop down to 2-3 days a week

the health insurance is going to be the tricky part

I hit 40 hrs today and I still have 11 hrs tomorrow and 8 more on saturday. fuck my job. working in healthcare right now sucks ass. everybody is grilling at the river and im covered in a cloud of plague all day.

1 Like