Why are Colby and Usman not submitting guys the same way Khamzat does?

Seems like it would be a no brainer for Colby and Usman to become proficient at submissions like Khamzat. They would save themselves from taking so much damage on the feet if they just take down and choke out their opponents. Or is Khamzat just that much better than them at wrestling and controlling opponents?

8 Likes

I’ve been saying this for so many years now. Wrestlers can take their opponent down at will but then all they do is grind out boring decisions

Imagine Colby Covington if he could submit people. He would be unstoppable

7 Likes

Colby’s style is a bit questionable. I root for him but he pressures with high output standup with the threat of takedown. But he doesn’t have a ton of power that way & gives a ton of time & opportunities for bigger punchers to land something. I mean it works, but has given him quite a bit of damage in fights as well. I’d like to see a more grappling focused Colby.

2 Likes

Just goes to show how hard that is. Khamzat still looks unstoppable to me. The Burns fight will not repeat itself anytime soon.

5 Likes

I think it’s a question of raw strength. Hughes had a lot of submission wins, but Colby is very different physically, he is a cardio and pressure guy, more slow twitch muscle.

4 Likes

Colby needs to hop on the gear and start ear raping these mfers.

3 Likes

Khamzat came up doing sambo and judo in addition to wrestling so submissions maybe come a bit more natural to him.

Colby isn’t great at controlling people. He gets takedowns but they’re on their way back up pretty fast and he either spends most of his time keeping them down or trying to get another takedown. Most of Usman’s control has been standing against the cage.

4 Likes

Why do we not simply appreciate fighters for what they are, instead of constantly wishing for them to be somehow “perfect”?

Here’s a thought guys, what if every fighter was excellent at every aspect of MMA, and nobody has any weaknesses, and every fight looked like the exact same with constant striking stalemates and cagewrestlestalling battles? Wouldn’t that be super awesome?

2 Likes

8 Likes

Did he? How long?

No idea. That’s just vague info that’s out there. It’s hard to find specifics on most of the Russians. If I were to guess I’d say probably until he left Russia for Sweden.

1 Like

Because they actually try to make their fights exciting……

That would be considered low fight iq. Why not take the easy safe path to victory? At the end of the day the only goal is to win

2 Likes

“Those who can, do.”

Sometimes the question answers itself.

2 Likes

I don’t know why Colby doesn’t work on his bjj and sub game more either. He is very limited in the striking department in terms of speed and punching power so having a good sub game could take him to the next level

4 Likes

You don’t like submissions?

1 Like

Khamzat has a 83% finish rate in the ufc. 92% finish rate overall

Kamaru Usman has a 33% finish rate in the ufc. 45% finish rate overall

Colby Covington has a 42% finish rate in the ufc. 47% finish rate overall

Khamzat has them both beat in both categories. He is a true killer. True he didn’t finish Burns the way Usman did but he fought burns at a younger age and far earlier in his professional career than Usman did

Sport Watching GIF by UFC

1 Like

As much as I like Khamzat, these statistics require interpretation.

For example, how many fights have each fighter had and how many against top 10 opponents? I think we can all agree finishing opponents not in the top 10 or outside of the UFC and not another major organization don’t weight the same, correct?

I’d say wait a year or two and then a much more meaningful comparison could be made.

7 Likes

You’re right. But at the same time, neither Colby or Usman were finishing opponents the way Khamzat has during their rises up the rankings

Does anyone think Khamzat would not finish Jorge? Colby dominated him for 5 rounds. Only was in trouble for one split second. But I don’t think Khamzat would have any issue with him. Even the first Usman/Masvidal fight Usman never came close to finishing him

2 Likes

I’m pretty surprised the OP’s question is getting justified with so many answers.

I don’t think it’s that easy to submit guys like that or everyone would be doing it.

Also guys like Usman and Colby have been fighting top tier guys for all of their last memorable fights. Khamzat has fought Burns, the only top tier guy he has fought.

So my question to OP is why didn’t Khamzat just submit Gilbert quick like that…??

7 Likes