Why are people so weird about death

Or is that I'm weird about death.  I hear about someone 70, 80, 90 and I don't really think it's a big deal.  Everybody dies, right?  Just having a discussion about covid deaths with some people and honestly I'd like to see deaths broken down by age group.  An 80 year old dying of it is not equal to a 25 year old dying from it.  Not all deaths are equal.  I got treated like a pariah for this, am I nuts or are these people being irrational?

2 Likes

There are a sh!tload of worthless 25 year olds and people over 70 who are treasures. Being young doesn’t necessarily make a person more worthwhile. A visit to a prison should make that clear.

22 Likes

I have the same problem. I think a lot of people think differently about death than I do.

I've accepted my mortality and am comfortable with my afterlife beliefs enough that death is something acceptable and accepted. But I think most people naturally fight the thought that death is just something that happens and treat it like something evil or bad instead of something that just is what it is. 

People are reminded of their own mortality when someone else dies, and if they aren't comfortable with that, they react differently than those who truly have come to accept death as a part of life.

3 Likes

Agree with shen in one of his more serious posts.

shen -

There are a sh!tload of worthless 25 year olds and people over 70 who are treasures. Being young doesn’t necessarily make a person more worthwhile. A visit to a prison should make that clear.

Be that as it may that 70 year old just doesn’t have much time as it is and probably a really shitty quality of life most of those years. 

1 Like

Shen makes a point but so does OP.  Overall I think it's reasonable to say someone dying at 80 with covid is not as tragic as if they were 25.  They are already past the point of average life span and might have had only another year or two left.  While the 25 year old's life has been cut by half a century.

We just celebrated my wifes, grandfathers, 90th birthday.

One of the best people I’ve known for the last 21 years. He and his wife (wife’s grandmother) celebrated their 70th year of marriage last year.

They still live at home and even have a cabin, which their son helps them with.

These people are the cream of the crop of human beings, I sincerely mean that.

I get what the OP is saying and kinda feel the same way, it all depends on the 25 year old, what kind of person are they?

It's ironic that Republicans are pushing to reopen (they're not wrong btw). But their most reliable voting block is old people. If the virus doesn't kill their base, the seeming callousness of wanting to open the country knowing old people will die might turn off old voters in Nov. They may vote for Biden or not at all. 

Either of those possibilities is not good for Trump or the GOP. 

danggook - 
shen -

Be that as it may that 70 year old just doesn’t have much time as it is and probably a really shitty quality of life most of those years. 

That’s just not true. 70+ year olds enjoy their lives as much as any. They could outlive any one of us.

Does intelligence, beauty, race play into these life/year worths?

danggook -
shen -

Please TTT when you’re 65.

If you see 65.

Archangel -
danggook - 
shen -

That’s just not true. 70+ year olds enjoy their lives as much as any. They could outlive any one of us.

Some do, some will, but the odds are not with them.

Flavorful -

It's ironic that Republicans are pushing to reopen (they're not wrong btw). But their most reliable voting block is old people. If the virus doesn't kill their base, the seeming callousness of wanting to open the country knowing old people will die might turn off old voters in Nov. They may vote for Biden or not at all. 

Either of those possibilities is not good for Trump or the GOP. 

It's not ironic and no one is pushing for people just blindly go around and infect at risk people. 

What people want is the ability to make their own decisions rather than having their lives and livelihoods and civil liberties ruined by an authoritarian nanny state.  What people want is a logical approach...if a walmart can be open, then why the fuck are we saying people who own a small business can't also be open using the same safety protocols?  Business owners want to open responsibly using all of the recommended mitigation methods such as distancing, limiting crowds, wearing masks, disinfecting, etc. 

The whole point of shutdowns was to flatten the curve to prevent overwhelming of hospitals and an under supply of PPE/ventilators.  Both of those goals have been acccomplished.  Now some people are trying to change the rules to say the lockdowns are in place to prevent "even 1 more death" which is just insane retarded bullshit that can only be interpreted as a political strategy to prolong the economic misery in an attempt to hurt Trump's chances at reelection.

And no one is advocating to force people out of their homes or saying high risk people shouldn't continue to isolate.  If you're at risk then continue your same routine of isolation, but given the data that we have now it makes zero sense to expect everyone else to do the same. 

3 Likes
Colby Covid19ington - Does intelligence, beauty, race play into these life/year worths?

No.  Completely blind.

I'm not a "shut the whole country down forever" sorta guy and think we should use the risk data to tell us who needs to isolate and who doesn't, but man, it is going to be a hard day when I have to tell my two daughters that their 72 year old grandfather is gone. 

The value of his remaining years may be low when you apply your standards, but you couldn't convince my kids of that. 

ryanJ -

I'm not a "shut the whole country down forever" sorta guy and think we should use the risk data to tell us who needs to isolate and who doesn't, but man, it is going to be a hard day when I have to tell my two daughters that their 72 year old grandfather is gone. 

The value of his remaining years may be low when you apply your standards, but you couldn't convince my kids of that. 

Ok, but don't you think it'd be alot harder (by a HUGE margin) to tell them that their mother died?  Isn't that something that will linger with them for life whereas they will get over the grandfather?

danggook -
ryanJ -

Ok, but don't you think it'd be alot harder (by a HUGE margin) to tell them that their mother died?  Isn't that something that will linger with them for life whereas they will get over the grandfather?

I dont think that is a remotely equal comparison. It would be a lot harder because it's their mother and not because of her age.  

I was hoping for covid to kill a couple billion world wide. 

SlapUsilly -
danggook -
ryanJ -

I dont think that is a remotely equal comparison. It would be a lot harder because it's their mother and not because of her age.  

Ok, scratch mother and replace with thirty something year old aunt.

I don’t look at it as a young person is worth more than an old person. It’s more a case of if you get sick and die when you’re 80 that’s called nature and it’s to be expected. If 25 year olds were getting sick and dying it would seem unnatural and be more concerning. 

1 Like