WHY ARE YOU NERVOUS

Tommy,
To me, the lack of experience plays a big role. Depending on the circumstances, if I feel familiarity I'm good to go. If I don't know what the hell is happening and I loose "time", the pending circumstance inflates (in my head) of course.

Keep-em coming,

Maurice

"EVERYONE IS NERVOUS BEFORE A FIGHT!!"

Absolutely..but ONLY WHEN THEY FIGHT SOMEONE OF ROUGHLY EQUAL SIZE/SKILL OR WHEN THEY FIGHT SOMEONE WITH A WEAPON.

I think that reaction is absolutely natural. I agree with MitchJ, that it will put you into high gear. Someone said that Jack Dempsey always feel so nervous before a fight, he can't shave himself. Lots of bookies bet on the horse that show a great degree of nervousness before the race. They termed this reaction as "spirited".

WOW!!!.. GOOD THOUGHTS!!

DO YOU THINK THAT NERVOUSNESS BEFORE AN EVENT COULD BE CAUSED BY EXPECTATIONS OF FAILURE??

WHAT ABOUT FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN??

LETS LOOK AT SOMETHING ELSE!!..AS MANY OF YOU KNOW!!..I HAD TO DEFEND MYSELF AND OTHERS FROM AN ABUSIVE ADULT AT A VERY YOUNG AGE!!

I DON'T GET NERVOUS IN OR AROUND FIGHTS!!

MY BODY GOES INTO PERFORMANCE MODE!!

YOUR THOUGHTS???

PEACE, TOM

P.S. HOW MANY OF YOU THINK THAT A ADRENALINE DUMP AND BEING NERVOUS ARE THE SAME THING??

You may remain nervous if you get caught in the 'fear box' loop . Inability to get challenged will lead one away from accomplishing they're goal Tom . Combine this with the fact that 80 % of our motivation is derived from our expectations , so if we have erroneous expectations and don't get challenged , I think we'll get nervous ; thats the curse of the fear box ( erroneous beliefs , dis-abling neuro-associations and poor F.E.A.R management skills ).

Var

DON'T BE SHY!!!

JUMP IN BOYS AND GIRLS!!

PEACE, TOM

Tom,
An awesome question to start the wheels turning. I don't think that there is an one perfect answer. I have found in my experience, though ,that two major contributors to a persons level of nervousness are those things that are unknown or unexperienced and the level of penalty one must pay for less than desireable decisions. That four year old becomes a greater nervousness producing agent when waving around a loaded gun. I think that it is important to note that those that are proficient and secure in their abilities alleviate much of the normal nervousness through focus on performance and not on the "butterflies".

Ron

The body prepares...

Tom "the double-sided question". On one hand, if you are prepared and have done your homework... away you go. But, time and time again, from celebrities to police offices to fighters, there's that adrenaline dump, the butterflies, the fight or flight syndrome. I think it's our mamalian brain reminding us, that even after all these years, the actions we are about to do are not natural or common to us. It could be the lights, the cameras, the attention, the threat. Uncommon situations, no matter how hard you prepare, will put you in your Holy S**T Zone, for some it may be close to thier discomfort zone (all analogies courtesy of Tony), but I know tons of actors and musicians and fighters who have a million times the skill and capabilities I do, who need that primal nervousness to get them into gear. I think being nervous makes you more prepared and focus, if you know how to control it and understand it.

Mitch "My Two Cents" Joel

OK MAYBE!!

BUT MITCH OR OTHERS!!.. IF YOU HAD A 4 YEAR OLD CHILD IN FRONT OF YOU DEMANDING YOUR WALLET OR HE/SHE WAS GOING TO KICK THE SHIT OUT OF YOU!!!... WOULD YOU BE NERVOUS?

PEACE, TOM

Depends...Coach, how old is Madison now?

Through my own personal experiences and those i received through Mr. Blauer's tutalage, i'd have to say one's expectataions.

These expectations will be influenced through training, lack of training, visualization or perception of something which may or may not influence your performance during the event.

The child for example does not impose a threat because of the size and our association with their skill level. However, if the child were to grab you by you're testacles so that you were face to face, bite the tip of your nose off and then demand your wallet, things will have changed.

Alot of these expectations are erroneous with the task at hand and can be managed through a great coach or 'self-coach' for that matter. If you visual failure as a result of training, your expectations are to fail. If you visualize the audience evaluating your performance negatively no matter what you are capable of pulling off, again your expectations will lead to failure.

So Tom, expectations is my final answer.

If i'm wrong, then my expectations will most likely change.

I'VE BEEN ON THIS FORUM FOR A LONG TIME AND OVER AND OVER THE SAME STATEMENT COMES UP!!!

"EVERYONE IS NERVOUS BEFORE A FIGHT!!"

WHY???????????????

PEACE, TOM

---

Tom,

Just read through this thread - lots of great thoughts thus far. However, I want to take a slightly different approach if you don't mind...

Frankly, I don't CHOOSE to accept the premise. I lump this statment "Everyone gets nervous before a fight." with all the other "great truths" of combat that are so often espoused by experts. Statements that we are all familiar with and which most of us have taught at some point such as:

In a knife fight you'll always get cut.

A shot/bullet/cut/etc. at this point will put a guy down.

98% of real fights always go to the ground.

etc. ad nauseam.

What's my point? Simply this. We should always add a disclaimer to such truths of "except when it doesn't happen that way..."

In the few real fights (meaning survival, not ego based) I have experienced, I wasn't nervous in the least. Why? Because I was ambushed - and surviving that fight is what so much of Tony's teaching is about. Trust me when I tell you that there is no time to be nervous at 1 a.m. when you awaken to the sound of your front door being kicked in - there is only time to freeze or move - and that's why I am such a believer in the TCMS toolbox of FEAR mgt., having a directive, etc.

All of us need to remember that one of Coach's most powerful traits is his ability to make us look at these statements, "truths" and paradigms through new filters.

As we all evaluate our own tendencies to "get nervous before a fight" we need to remember the TCMS maxim of

"The scenario determines everything,"

and then clarify the question. Perhaps, "Why do I get nervous before a fight in which I have the time to get nervous," might be a better question. You see how the reframing of the question makes you stop and wonder what else you could be doing with all that time... :-)

I look forward to your thoughts.

Eric

Very nice thread.

ANyone remember my sessions on 'intimidation'?

IN the body/mind arena with the trinity of the theoretically perfect arsenal, there is no one answer as Ron injected.

ANd like Tom's unique perspective on S&C, there is no answer for all people as there is no workout that produces the same result for all people.

SO why doesnt Tom get nervous?

Because Tom is a samurai [a fighter who when action is required, neither focuses on living or dying only the fight] and he chose to fight back at a young age to protect his family in a situation that commonly produces far greater violent endings than simple dysfunction. [Again, kudos to Tom for both having the courage to do what many couldnt - not a judgment, just a fact...and for sharing a very personal side of his evolution with us - many of whom have no faces i.e. were internet buddies].

A lot to ponder...let me leave you with this:

Many think the opposite or courage is cowardice.

Its not. This shift in paradigm might just change your entire paradigm!

:-)

The opposite of courage is 'Dis-couraged'. IN other owrds, I believe, we all know and see the courageous action in any given conflict, but most of us wait, hope that the problem will either go away or the cavalry will rush in...

ANd as fate/destiny and luck would have it...some varition of both usually occurs...but that leaves you with the ESE & QC virus. Both are potential killers.

Glossary:

ESE virus-Eroding self esteem

QC virus-Questioning Confidence

When you tap into what the psychodynamics of 'dis-couragement' are, you'll understand that no one 'can' intimidate you, except yourself of course and only then can you start training nervousness out of your system.

But remember, parroting wisdom is not the same as sharing it from your heart. DO some homework, take some strategic chances. IN other words, Learn it, earn it.

GO meditate. Then go train, smart.

T

Eric,

I posted as you posted, you're faster than me of course and so you got in first...damn!!

But I read your thoughts and they are right on.

As I said, there is no panacea, holy-grail, secret move...

ANd the power of Toms question is like many PDR related trainings, simply opportunties to explore the unknown parts of yourself, to redifine beliefes that you once held to be true only to discover they held you back....

:-)

Stop growing & start dying.

T

Expectations of failure before an event spells doom!

Fear of the unknown ? Why would you fear that which is unknown ? You don't have any idea what and why you're fearing . People fear that which they 'think' they know because they fail to get challenged and step out of the fear loop .

'Performance Mode' .. I would think this refers to that state in which you recognize your body is preparing ( as Phil stated so succinctly earlier ) , and have the tools to accept , get challenged etc.

I think an 'adrenaline dump' can be seen as a battle cry , whereas 'nervousness' and the perceptions we place on it for simply using that word , causes us to choke on self doubt !

Var

Hey Tom,

Mitch here. I'll give this some thought.

I think that nervousness before a fight, if you are prepared, is directly related to fear of the unknown. After all, Tony has taught F.E.A.R. = False Expectations Appearing Real. That can also be positive or negative depending on your mindset (another paradox).

The fact that you don't get nervous before a fight and you go into "performance mode" I think speaks volumes for your emotional toolbox and comfort levels where other people go fetal.

As many of you know, I'm a music journalist and have had the pleasure of meeting 100's of rock stars. You would be surprised that after doing a show in front of 20,000 people, day in and day out, some still get nervous, but they channel it properly - mostly into energy to pump themselves up. Others don't get nervous (like you Tom), because they've already "got challenged and accepted" ergo taken that emotion out of the equation, or have placed it securely in their comfort zone to ensure better performance enchancement.

Finally, as someone who has adrenaline gland problems, I can tell you both physiologically and psychologically that adrenaline dumps and nervousness are not directly related. I think that they both have cause and effect on one another (almost domino-like if not controlled), but they are clearly not the same thing. I may get a huge adrenaline dump if I'm driving 120 and see a cop, but I certainly don't get nervousnes ;)

"My Two Cents" Mitch

"Adrenaline is not sentient." Tony Blauer

Adrenaline is a wonderfull chemical cocktail designed by God (just like the 'magical' flinch) to prepare us for 'action'. It heightens senses and reflexes to allow faster reaction and recovery time, screens 'unnecessary' stimuli to allow critical information through at a faster rate and eliminate distraction, allows the body to clot blood at an accelerated rate, increases strength and speed...etc.

A pretty amazing protective process if you ask me!

Just don't reject it...EMBRACE IT! As the BLAUER SPEAR System teaches us with the flinch:

1. It is not weakness
2. It is not effeminate

The Panic Attack drill was designed to CREATE an adrenaline dump so we could learn to embrace and work with this incredible survival tool.

2 more cents,

P.

GUY'S I JUST READ BACK THROUGH THE THREADS AND I WANT TO MAKE ONE POINT!!

I DON'T WANT YOU TO THINK THAT I AM PORTRAYING MYSELF AS A SUPER HERO BECAUSE I DON'T GET NERVOUS IN OR AROUND FIGHTS!!

THE FACT IS THAT ABILITY WAS HARD EARNED!!

WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN BEATEN YOU DON'T FEAR A BEATING!! :-)

WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN PUT INTO A POSITION OF NO HOPE FOR VICTORY!!..SURIVAL LOOKS QUITE GRAND!! :-)

THAT IS WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO FOR ME !! WHAT CAN THE OTHER GUY DO TO ME THAT HASEN'T ALREADY BEEN DONE!!

NOT MUCH!!...I WISHED FOR DEATH A 100 TIMES!!

IT DOSEN'T SCARE ME!!

YOU CAN LEARN THE SAME ATTIUDE BY PROPER TRAINING!!

THINK ABOUT IT FOR A MOMENT!!

PEACE, TOM

"Stop growing and start dying" ?

*continuing to meditate on this thread...*