Why Ben Askren WILL beat Jake Paul. Thoughts?

3 Likes

I will tag this, and watch it later.

First thoughts though, disagree. Ben can barely throw a punch. His technique is all off. If he cant use any other weapons, he will get found out.

According to observers Jake Paul has decent fundamentals. Thus he will be able to hit Ben at will, and will be able to get out of the way of punches.

In a straight boxing match, the superior man at using the ‘sweet science’ will win. I think it will be Jake Paul.

1 Like

Ben Askren beat Douglas Lima in a mostly stand up fight. He looked bad against Maia, that’s about it.

The gas tank is the factor in this fight. Training is not like fighting. You lose your wind much faster. Ben has shown he can go 25 hard, hard minutes. Jake has shown he can fight people who cant fight. That’s it.

I think Ben will humiliate Jake.

5 Likes

Good watch.

The guy ate a Robbie Lawler death punch and didn’t miss a beat - that was with 4oz gloves - this fight is at 10oz.

1 Like

Thank you for your input Mr Swick. Cool video.

You make a fair point about the gas tank.

However, when it comes stand in an MMA fight, it is always with the threat of Ben’s takedowns. It changes what happens in the stand up. Affects it.

MMA largely neutralizes, or at least, detracts from boxing skills like stance, blocking, footwork, feinting, jab - all of which will come into play here. Also speed of punches, and timing, are coached for in boxing much more than for wrestler based MMA fighters. So too power punching.

I like Ben, so I hope he does well. I fear he won’t

1 Like

If Jake sits behind a jab all night and evades the clinch he could do it.

It is the experience level in real fights with real killers I think is the larger difference than the boxing skill level.

Man, there was nothing worse feeling to me in training than dudes who just didn’t get tired while I was starting to fade, and I know that can’t compare to when there is a giant crowd and real pressure.

Jake seems to be very athletic and taking this seriously. When he hits Ben and nothing happens and his arms start feeling like lead, thats when we will see if he is really a fighter.

2 Likes

You do make fair points.

Ben definitely won’t be afraid. Won’t be phased by shots, and will keep grinding all fight.

I just fear Ben will get touched, and then hit, too often and will have too little ability to prevent that from happening.

If you look at the shapes Jake makes, and his form, it is much more like that of a boxer than Ben. He also seems to have snap in his punches, quick reflexes and footwork.

1 Like

Great vid and some great points.