why bench wont improve punch power

Whether the pecs are at all involved is not a matter of opinion. Thermal imaging makes the case, QED, far moreso with the straight right than the jab (a power jab, in which the shoulder rolls forward, partially involves the pec more than a flicking jab does). With the straight right one can simply throw straight rights sometime when the pecs are sore from too many pushups and quickly learn that the pec is involved in starting the movement.

None of which is to dispute that other muscles are MORE involved, that coordination of the movements is far, far MORE important, and that there are plenty of other exercises that are far MORE efficient for supplementing one's boxing training than bench press.

It does strike me as a bit counterproductive, however, to make extreme claims in support of reasonable propositions. It makes one easier to dismiss.

At any rate, I always recommend multi-joint lifts that incorporate the muscles of the trunk and emphasize explosiveness. Bench doesn't make the cut.

100% of your punching power comes from two exercises: bench press and curls.

The Russians did some tests (makes me think of Rocky IV) and found that shotputting was one of the best exercises a boxer could do and used similar muscle groups.

The old-timers used to have elastic straps attached to the walls with handles on the end (the equivalent of today's cable-fly machine, except not from both directions), face away from the wall, and hold the handle while moving in a punching motion (not a bench-press type motion, but the whole torso motion.

Almost makes me think that the cable-fly machine can be used to some success for boxing, except I'd be pretty worried about it training the boxer to push punches rather than throw/snap them (as well as the fact that there is a fairly different emphasis on the muscles when you are punch-pushing from when you are punch-throwing/snapping).

Tacticalfighter, could you please e-mail me at Mmann512@aol.com? Thanks

ttt

"that "smash" thing that Ruddock used to do"

lol plz elaborate someone

In the early 80's, a friend of mine went to an Oakland game and saw a bench clearing brawl (there was even a guy swinging his crutches on the field) at the end of the game. They were playing New York, and he told me that he saw Lyle Alzado take his helmut off to hit Mark Gastineau. He said that Gastineau hit him once and he went down. As my buddy was leaving the stadium, he saw Alzado still laying on the field.

I always liked Alzado and was disapointed to hear he went down that easy.