why christ

This was inspired by the OG traditional Christians thread and the question of whether there is salvation outside of Christ. I have included a quote from Ridgeback on the other thread. I started a new thread because I am not a Christian.

"Passages like Romans 1 and John 1:9 tell us that God shines light into everyone's mind, and speaks to all people through conscience-God's inner microphone. Christians do not claim to know how many people respond to this knowledge of God in such a way as to be saved"

Basically I can't get my head around why Christ is necessary if God speaks directly to us? This is the thing I really don't understand about Christianity. I do believe in something only I'm not sure what. And I do have an internal voice which I listen to.

Christ is God. God's voice is His Word.

Jhn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jhn 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Jhn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,

That voice, those words whispering to our spirit, are the words of Jesus.

Jhn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Jhn 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

so the universe is made according to an overall set of rules "God"

Jhn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us

and Jesus was a man who perfectly personified those rules and lived exactly in accordance with them. A great example.

But we all still have god within us, yes? We can still listen for his voice when we are unsure how to live? Why do we need Jesus for this?

chance, I would like to talk to you about this over email if you like

pinndedagain2001 at yahoo.com

the rev

I hear ya Chance.

But talk to John!

and if you want to chat about this with me also

cyn 2329 @ aol. com

ok thanks guys. email is sent to John..I may email you later if that is ok Sherm?

I would still be interested in hearing how different Christians answer this question.  I think it is a good one actually. 

"Why do we need Jesus for this?"

Can you learn a martial art by yourself alone?

No. You need a master.

Jesus is THE master for human behaviour.

There are other masters, but they don't reach his level.

I also would be interested to hear different people's answers to this question. It is a thing that I can't understand about religions..they all make themselves exclusive for what?

Thanks to Donna for answering. I do recognise Christ as a teacher. But who is to say I am not hearing it clearer by listening myself..and applied to my own personal circumstances?

Chance,

Have you read Mere Christianity yet?  The only reason I ask is that it is a great book for answering questions like that.  Needless to say there is far more in orthodox (when I spell that with a lower case "o" I mean the core beliefs of most Catholic, Orthodox and Protestant Christians) Christianity than simply regarding Christ as a teacher.

As far as exclusivity goes remember the exclusivity is the person of Christ, not necessarily the religion of Christianity.  We don't fully know what happens to those outside of the body of Christ (the Church) but we can say without hesitation that whoever will be saved will only be saved through Christ.

I may attempt to answer this question in detail a little later.  There are two ways to think of exclusivity.  One is from the perspective of religion being man-made.  The second would be from the perspective of religion being a series of factual statements about reality.  In the latter case the exclusivity of Christ can be seen as a functional exclusivity that stems from what is possible.

I am actually interested in hearing all the Christians on this board answer the question though.  Why does salvation have to come through Jesus? 

Thanks Ridgeback..I look forward to your detailed answer or answers. I have a lot of reading to do at the moment and the bible itself probably comes first at the moment.

I would certainly be most grateful to hear the Christians on this board answer why salvation has to come through Jesus Christ, both from their own perspective and, if possible, looking from outside (although that might be more difficult).

What about our own internal connection to God?

interesting Comedian, I haven't heard that before. Thanks.

Can we trust, when we talk to God, that we are getting the right answers. If we are, then why do we need the example of Christ?

blud: Hmm makes you wonder why he said stuff like, "noone gets to the father but through me" and why he cried out to his father when he was on the cross?

me: The central doctrine of Christianity, the fundamental truth of Christianity is that Jesus was both man and God. He was fully man and fully God. He was not part man, part God (1/2 and 1/2). He hunger, grew weary, was born, died as all mortal men do.

He walked on water, calmed the creation, raised the dead, claimed to be the I AM, and resurrected His own body as God.

He sometimes spoke as man, (no man knows the day or hour) and He sometimes spoke as God (your sins are fogiven you).

His comments about the Creator (the Eternal Spirit, the Deity) were often made as a human, as our brother according to the flesh.

No man gets to the HOLY, TRANSCENDENT FATHER AND CREATOR OF ALL, BUT THROUGH THE MEDIUM AND AGENCY OF ME, MY HUMANITY IS THE BRIDGE TO GOD.

You have to read the whole book blud. If you just read, "Cinderella was locked in the room and couldn't go to the ball" you wouldn't get the whole story.