Why couldnt Vera outwrestle Shogun?

UGCTT_mrzipplokk -  Also, Vera was at a disadvantage taking a 5 rounder.

If it were 3 rounds Shogun would have won 30-27 and been more aggressive in the third. Phone Post

'If'/    They both may have fought a different gameplan.

Shogun looked quite a bit bigger to me. Seemed like more of a strength thing when they were clinching. Phone Post

Great MMA offensive wrestling

Utah get me two - Vera should be at 185. STILL too small for LHW

i would love to see it.. for sure it looks like he can make 185.. if timbo can.. why not vera

Acidic -  lol Shogun has A level Takedowns

Taking down machida, Liddell, Vera, hendom, Lil Nog goes to show how elite his TDs are. His TDD not so great

Exactly this. I don't know about "A" level, but B+ level certainly.

Shogun is pretty much just like Gegard Mousasi. Extremely good offensive wrestlng, sub-par defensive wrestling. I believe Jon Fitch is roughly in this mold as well, until the Penn fight I always said Fitch's TDD was shaky but people didn't seem to grasp that until Penn took him down with ease.

I can't understand why some people like Rogan are still surprised to see Shogun go for takedowns, when Shogun goes for takedowns in pretty much every single fight he's had. It's like, have these people seen a Shogun fight before?? Shogun's takedowns+GNP are his best attribute.

It's a large part of why Jones is such a bad matchup for him - Shogun would never be able to take Jones down. Which means he can't unleash his hammerfists of doom and lethal GNP.

For some reason people think of Shogun as a striker, when he's just very well-rounded and fights that way.

The only guy he tried repeatedly to take down and couldn't was Machida. Shogun tried like hell in their first fight to take him down but couldn't - however even then he caused damage by holding Machida against the cage and kneeing his thighs. Those shots clearly hurt worse than they looked because Machida visibly did not like them at all.

Synado - He was throwing really hard shots which opens you up for counters. I thought Vera looked better then he did in a long time.

Me too. Love to see him back in the Octagon.

That trip shogun always does is VERY effective, he almost always gets it Phone Post

ontilt - Because Shoguns grappling is underrated. His TDD is piss poor but his offensive wrestling is better than most give him credit for.

Yup! Phone Post

I've never see evidence of Vera's near Olympic wrestling or awesome Bjj that Rogan tells us about for years. He looks like a fish on the ground Phone Post

shogun is strong as hell

Bobby Lupo - I've never see evidence of Vera's near Olympic wrestling or awesome Bjj that Rogan tells us about for years. He looks like a fish on the ground Phone Post

Rogan sees him in the gym doing both. He doesnt always bring them to the octagon, but in fairness, when he has to use his BJJ it is against guys like Shogun, Thiago, or Verdum, where no one looks that great in a grappling match usually. He was invited to the olympic training center back years ago to train and try out for the olympic team.

Because he didn't try. When he did (on 1 occasion?), he took him down easily. Vera has this stupid counter-striker mindset that prevents him from using all the tools in his toolbox and ends up costing him fights. The fighters that can consistently leave the initiative to the adversary and still win are extremely few (I can think of only 2 of them right now, Anderson and Machida), and Vera isn't one of them.

Forssberg - Because he didn't try. When he did (on 1 occasion?), he took him down easily. Vera has this stupid counter-striker mindset that prevents him from using all the tools in his toolbox and ends up costing him fights. The fighters that can consistently leave the initiative to the adversary and still win are extremely few (I can think of only 2 of them right now, Anderson and Machida), and Vera isn't one of them.

Uh that was one of the few times he had a good set up (deep underhook and hips in good position) to try. He was trying in the clinch to get that advantageous position, he was just losing.

He had a good set up because in that instance he took the initiative with the intent of provoking the takedown. Most of the time he was merely trying to counterstrike Shogun and found himself surprised by Shogun's offensive wrestling.

Forssberg - He had a good set up because in that instance he took the initiative with the intent of provoking the takedown. Most of the time he was merely trying to counterstrike Shogun and found himself surprised by Shogun's offensive wrestling.

Not really, he just won on the clinch exchange there. Also why "provoke" takedowns on a guy with a rep for kneeing people's faces off? I think the knee exchanges and Shogun's ability in the clinch are being underrated alot here.

exactly on paper Vera is a beast but in the ring he looks decent at best..his wrestling is weak and his striking can be crisp if not tired...

Shogun had good takedowns but that wont help him against Jones if they ever fight again..

I think Vera is better than people give him credit for, but whoever started the "Olympic level Greco" needs to apologize for that ridiculous rumor.

Yes, he trained at the OTC, but a lot of people do that and are never going to become 'Olympic Level'.

Shogun beat almost every guy you mentioned.

are peole really this fucking stupid

its why guys like rampage are tentative.

Vera started throwing bombs at shogun, shogun timed it and caught vera off balance.

Rampage watches his oppurtunties very well, because he knows if he loses balance he is going down