Why Cro Cop Got KOed

He dropped his hands when he went to kick. If you watch the KO in slow mo, he drops his lead hand as he steps in to throw a left kick. Had he done the smart thing and glued that thing to his chin like your supposed to, he would have been ok.

lol

Simple as that, end of story ...

Yes. Bad form on Crocop's part, and he paid the price.

Ok first your wrong it was not because he droped his hand going for a kick it was because he was trying to gaurd against a take down when what was coming was a hit to the face

CroCop needs some work on his standup. I'll gladly give him a private seminar for $80 an hour.

I'll cover some kicks, covers, maybe some slips. Then we'd work on some take down defense. I'll show him the whizzer/crossface!

"Ok first your wrong it was not because he droped his hand going for a kick it was because he was trying to gaurd against a take down when what was coming was a hit to the face"

Watch the video again, he goes to kick and pumps his right hand down as he steps in to set up. If that hand had gone to his chin he would have been fine

so all of his ko's via kick that he did the same thing... they are all forgotten?

No not at all, this just shows what can happen, and will eventually happen if you do something sloppy. Not syaing Cro Cop sucks or anything, just stating that if he kept his hand up, he wouldnt have got KOed

That's not necessarily true. If he kept his hand up, he may have blocked that punch, but the outcome of the fight would still be undetermined.

I have the picture of CroCop kicking Heath Herring in the ribs, that was floating around here a few weeks ago as my wallpaper. It's a beautiful kick (very deep) but I also was wondering why his left hand (it was a left kick) was down by his side.

Gary Hughes

"I have the picture of CroCop kicking Heath Herring in the ribs, that was floating around here a few weeks ago as my wallpaper. It's a beautiful kick (very deep) but I also was wondering why his left hand (it was a left kick) was down by his side"

Cause he was pumping his hand with the kick, same as all Thai boxers do.

"he was looking for the takedown. oh wait, we're all wrong, and your right."

Hey Luvmachine, I never said everyone was wrong, your probably right actually. He probably did think a takedown was coming, but all im saying is that I dont think people should drop their lead hands when they kick, like Cro Cop did, cause it can lead to this result

Somerville Bad Boy posted: "Cause he was pumping his hand with the kick, same as all Thai boxers do."

If that's true, it sounds like all Thai boxers could use a basic Kenpo lesson then. No reason not to have 100% defense with your hands when you kick. You also need to keep them up so you can follow up with hands. Basic Kenpo 101.

Gary Hughes

usually guys who throw one hand down to pump their kick bring their other hand infront of their face to deflect any punches.

KneeUppercut posted (twice): "Yes because we all know how effective Kenpo is"

No, most MMA fans are very ignorant about Kenpo and other styles that have proven themselves to be effective for many years. Chuck Liddell and Pete Spratt are a couple of fighters that have started to let some people see that Kenpo/Kempo is a good stand up style. Kenpo and BJJ are a very potent combination.

What do you know about Kenpo/Kempo? Have you trained in Kenpo or fought against a Kenpo fighter?

As in any syle, there are good and bad styles of Kenpo/Kempo. Sam Pai Kenpo placed a heavy emphasis on sparring, some styles of Kenpo do not. I love Kenpo, but I have seen some demonstrations of people claiming to practice Kenpo that made me laugh.

Gary Hughes

No he got KO'd because he got hit hard as hell!!!!

he droped his hand to serve as a counter balance for his kick. i myself always kept my hands up when i kicked so my defense would always be in place. people would try to get me to drop it for the counter balance but i would tell them thanks for the advice and keep doing what i knew was the right way. there are tons of examples of this technique having disasterous consequences in mma. i believe ricco vs. sylvia is an example, and cro-cop randleman is another. there are a lot of others but they slip my mind right now.

You win some you lose some!

No, Kevin set that up beautifully. Got the clinch straigh off the bat, and was content to just hold him for a minute... "That's all you got" Mirko starts thinking.

They get split by the ref, soon KR does a fast shot which Cop seems to have covered... Therein lies the bait, Cop intends to sprawl again on the next shot, lo and behold KR doesn't shoot and connects with a thunderous hook. Cop is on queer street, pulls guard but in his dazed state doesn't have the energy to hold KR close enough, wehereupon KR unleashes a vicious punch which KO's Cop.

Great mind games and tactics from KR.

"If that's true, it sounds like all Thai boxers could use a basic Kenpo lesson then. No reason not to have 100% defense with your hands when you kick. You also need to keep them up so you can follow up with hands. Basic Kenpo 101."

Theres nothing wrong with pumping your hand when you kick, its adds powers and makes the movement more smooth. You can also follow up with punches just as easily as you could if you didnt drop it. Not dropping your hand feels very awkward