Why Dan Hardy Should Not Be Written-Off vs GSP

I guess it would be pointless to write an article about how GSP is gonna smash Hardy

but TTT for UJ!

Ah yes, Dan Hardy with the hands that can smash through mountains. Apparently only 1 out of 4 mountains however.

Diego stole my name - I guess it would be pointless to write an article about how GSP is gonna smash Hardy

but TTT for UJ!

Well... yeah, it would.  ;)

I'm just playing devil's advocate in this piece by pointing out some very miniscule attributes that Hardy brings to the table that GSP has not faced often (or at all), for no reason other than to reinforce that GSP might not be able to walk through him in his sleep like everyone seems to think.

With your technical striking knowledge, I would love to hear your reaction to my comparisons of GSP's past opponents, and whether or not you agree that Hardy might offer some different challenges.

As much as I want to believe Dan Hardy can pull it off the more I realize it is probably not going to happen. Anything can happen and will be thrilled if that that one KO punch does get past GSP.

nostripewhite - Ah yes, Dan Hardy with the hands that can smash through mountains. Apparently only 1 out of 4 mountains however.

Yes... Hardy has KO'd 1 of his 4 UFC opponents.  Does that mean he doesn't have KO power?

Has Hardy fought anyone with good takedowns? I havent followed hardy much and dont know of anyone with skill set that gsp has that he has fought(same skill set, not same skills)

kungfugrip - Has Hardy fought anyone with good takedowns? I havent followed hardy much and dont know of anyone with skill set that gsp has that he has fought(same skill set, not same skills)
Nope... I rank this up with BJ Penn vs Sanchez  kind of match

Uncle Justice - 
nostripewhite - Ah yes, Dan Hardy with the hands that can smash through mountains. Apparently only 1 out of 4 mountains however.

Yes... Hardy has KO'd 1 of his 4 UFC opponents.  Does that mean he doesn't have KO power?

He doesn't have the rock breaking KO power that everyone seems to attribute him to. He did KO one person impressively. The excuses that came out after that loss take a little of the luster away from the win.

But he landed many shots on Swick and never finished him. He landed enough shots on Marcus Davis to win a decision, but not finish him.

Yeah, he's a striker. I don't see where people are getting this idea that he hits hard enough to break mountains.

People also overlook the fact that his takedown defence is garbage, and his jiu-jitsu hasn't been amazing.

Loadin76 - 
kungfugrip - Has Hardy fought anyone with good takedowns? I havent followed hardy much and dont know of anyone with skill set that gsp has that he has fought(same skill set, not same skills)
Nope... I rank this up with BJ Penn vs Sanchez  kind of match

Penn vs Sanchez was more legit, as Sanchez had actually fought good comp, and had someone who challenged for a title.

Hardy is being thrown in there because he's got a big mouth, and will sell the fight.

yeah Sanchez was a legit competitor. I was more refering to the way he got his ass handed to him.

Yes, and it's definitely his weakness.

Out of his 6 losses, 1 was a DQ, and the other 5 were all against good grapplers (Baron, Petz, Healy, etc)

I think the reasons GSP is the huge favorite are rather obvious, so I just attempted to highlight a few small areas where Hardy may give GSP trouble... that's all.

Did I mention I want Hardy to win? I am a huge GSP fan but I like when divisions get shaken up.

UJ, at the risk of repeating what's already been said, and your points about Hardy's striking are well-taken, I just see GSP not standing w/ him and taking that risk of being KO'd (which is the only way that Hardy is going to win the fight), taking him down quite easily, holding him down and pounding him. if GSP can do that to Serra and Penn, he can do it to hardy as well. I would focus more on the likelihood that Hardy will probably not get a chance to utilize his stand-up skills because he won't be able to stop the takedown.

^Hey Ron.

Of course, I agree with the multitude of different avenues that GSP has to win this fight, as well as the likelihood that it will happen... only a fool would not.

That's why I called this a "microscopic" look into the style vs. style thing.  This is nothing groundbreaking or some type of amazing discovery, but more of an opinion based on actual statistics of how GSP has performed against other strikers.

The only other good striker that GSP has faced that DID NOT have a pretty major disadvantage with reach was Koscheck (BJ was 2" shorter), and I think Hardy brings an entirely more advanced game than Kos from a technical standpoint.

Everyone is just completely writing Hardy off and giving him no chance, so I just thought I would try to expose a few areas where GSP has struggled on the feet in the past versus solid boxers (BJ, Serra), how important his hefty reach/height advantage is, and how rarely he doesn't have it.

And you did just that, UJ, in your piece. After all, who wants to read anything that argues for an obvious conclusion, right?

Oh, I agree. Not written off the card. The fight should still take place.

But he's got zero chance at winning. Now that Bisping has proved the UG correct in that he's teh suck, the Dana has to create a new british bandwagon for that country's money to pour into the UFC.

Goooooo Hardy! (sarcasm)

Ron,

Exactly, especially when reading countless posts like the one above.

Thanks for reading and for providing some input, it's much appreciated.

"With your technical striking knowledge, I would love to hear your reaction to my comparisons of GSP's past opponents, and whether or not you agree that Hardy might offer some different challenges."

I think Hardy has the fastest hands of anyone GSP has fought so far with the exception for BJ

His left hook is lightning fast. It took both Swick and Davis by surprise a few times.

Hardys biggest chance is that he catches GSP in the pocket as he tries to close the distance

And it certainly "could" happen. When you have someone with very fast hands then your regular timing gets messed up.

Hardy needs to catch GSP hard the first time he tries to close the distance. Because if he survives then he will adjust his timing. Swick did that. He got caught early trying to close the distance, the next time he adjusted his timing and ducked under Hardys left hook and got the clinch

With that said. The reason BJ and Serra were so dangerous is because their groundgames were fearsome but they also had dangerous striking. Hardy is a dangerous striker but GSP has nothing to fear from him on the ground. Hardy has to fear GSP on the feet and on the ground

Oh and altough Hardy has a lot of reach as you mentioned. I havent seen him use his jab much. He prefers throwing wide punches (wich are exceptionally fast)

GSP has a really good jab. It will be interesting to see if he can disrupt Hardys timing with his jab and kicks the way he did to Thiago