Why did Diego stop rasslin?

Just rewatched some of the first TUF series. Diego was the ground and pound man.

Now I'm not saying he's the world's greatest grappler, but he hung in there with Ryan Hall and Marcelo Garcia.
Why did he just stop even trying?

Knows he can't take people down?
Wants FOTN bonuses?
Finds it more exciting to get brain damage?

I've always liked Diego, seemingly against the common view held here.

Why, Diego, why?

Diego has one of the best top games in MMA but he said after either the Pearson or Jury fights, that he works his wrestling hard in each camp, but when the lights are on him all he wants to do is brawl Phone Post 3.0

His takedowns are terrible that's why Phone Post 3.0

he just wants to bang bro

because the sport evolved past the point where a good high school wrestler could dominate grappling

Frank Shamrock said that he started focusing on boxing more because it's the most efficient way to deal damage. That and his knees started going bad. I think that knee problems contribute to stand.and Wang more than you might think. GSP got banged up vs Hendricks pretty badly because his knees wouldn't let him do takedowns like he could before.... Phone Post 3.0

because he looks like boom boom mancini

I hope he finds his grappling again but don't know if he will. I will still watch every one of his fights though. Phone Post 3.0

TheRealMrBeefy - He has become a fan favorite by moving forward and taking heavy shots and dishing out even heavier ones. He gets his ass kicked but then somehow pulls out the victory with the judges (Kampman, Pierson, Gomi).

I get excited every time he fights. I love me some Diego. He does not use his wrestling I think because he isn't as fast as he was back in the day, his takedown attempts are very telegraphed these days. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah... Somehow gets the split dec and acts like he won lol Phone Post 3.0

it's in the Bible not to wrestle your neighbor

Because hes possessed by a brawl demon Phone Post 3.0

gokudamus - because the sport evolved past the point where a good high school wrestler could dominate grappling

It seems more that he stopped trying to grapple.
Someone who only lost by a back take in the last few minute against Ryan Hall, and hung in there with Marcelo for ten minutes is more than just a good high school wrestler IMO

Anyone know any other of any other high level grapplers he's gone against?

people have gotten way better at defending takedowns these days and diego doesn't set his takedowns up at all. i'm sure injuries might have forced him to be more of a stand up fighter but i also wish he would try to grapple more.

I always thought that after the Alessio fight he realized his takedown game was not good enough so he had to change his style of fighting. Phone Post 3.0

FatFrenchFry - Anyone know any other of any other high level grapplers he's gone against?

he lost to Jake Shields in ADCC.Jake said he was legit.

also I think he lost to Roy Nelson(?)

TheRealMrBeefy - He has become a fan favorite by moving forward and taking heavy shots and dishing out even heavier ones. He gets his ass kicked but then somehow pulls out the victory with the judges (Kampman, Pierson, Gomi).

I get excited every time he fights. I love me some Diego. He does not use his wrestling I think because he isn't as fast as he was back in the day, his takedown attempts are very telegraphed these days. Phone Post 3.0
I think it's the other way round. He dishes out heavy shots and takes even heavier ones. Phone Post 3.0