Why did Ronda Rousey train with Edmund?

HallmansHammock -

That time my guy Dennis exposed dracula and made him cower behind Ronda for protection. 

https://youtu.be/huPIIRxFKME

This was an all time great TUF moment 

3 Likes

edmond didn’t want to coach her and didn’t show her much according to the book.

I think it could be attributed to complacency, but it's not quite as simple as that. That word has to be qualified within the context of what she did so early in her career. She was not "working her way up" or "maybe had some potential', she was OBLITERATING people. 

If you count her amateur fights, she went 7-0 with a total of less than five minutes of cage time.  Five minutes.  One round.   She armbarred SEVEN opponents in FIVE minutes.  Just stop and put the phone down before finishing reading this post and think about that for a minute.   I'm not saying those were "world fighters/grapplers or whatever, but they were opponents who trained for those fights, and certainly weren't trying to get tapped in 20 seconds. 

The only opponent that offered even a remote amount of resistance was Tate in the first fight, and that ended, by armbar (in the first round).

She then started using her hands a bit more, then had the second Tate fight (which she won) that IMO laid the blueprint of how to beat her (I think Tate was winning prior to the armbar).  Then, she lost to Holm and was completely out and lastly, didn't even show up for the Nunes fight and got wrecked.

I still think that she definitely bought into her own hype, but to at least some extent, I kind of can't blame her.

IMO, if she came back right now to a real team and coach, she'd probably still smash 98% of the chicks in that division,  aside from Nunes and De Randamie (I think she could beat Holm in a rematch).  People want to hate on Ronda, which is certainly understandable, because she's not a likable person, but if you look at her career objectively, it's understandable why Edmund went so long as her coach.  And by the way, maybe he wasn't the best coach, but could you imagine trying to coach her, with her ego?

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/8ESbkF_0A0g

2 Likes
WaltJ -

I think it could be attributed to complacency, but it's not quite as simple as that. That word has to be qualified within the context of what she did so early in her career. She was not "working her way up" or "maybe had some potential', she was OBLITERATING people. 

If you count her amateur fights, she went 7-0 with a total of less than five minutes of cage time.  Five minutes.  One round.   She armbarred SEVEN opponents in FIVE minutes.  Just stop and put the phone down before finishing reading this post and think about that for a minute.   I'm not saying those were "world fighters/grapplers or whatever, but they were opponents who trained for those fights, and certainly weren't trying to get tapped in 20 seconds. 

The only opponent that offered even a remote amount of resistance was Tate in the first fight, and that ended, by armbar (in the first round).

She then started using her hands a bit more, then had the second Tate fight (which she won) that IMO laid the blueprint of how to beat her (I think Tate was winning prior to the armbar).  Then, she lost to Holm and was completely out and lastly, didn't even show up for the Nunes fight and got wrecked.

I still think that she definitely bought into her own hype, but to at least some extent, I kind of can't blame her.

IMO, if she came back right now to a real team and coach, she'd probably still smash 98% of the chicks in that division,  aside from Nunes and De Randamie (I think she could beat Holm in a rematch).  People want to hate on Ronda, which is certainly understandable, because she's not a likable person, but if you look at her career objectively, it's understandable why Edmund went so long as her coach.  And by the way, maybe he wasn't the best coach, but could you imagine trying to coach her, with her ego?

I want you to get this excited over D.Cruz wrestling a bunch of first and second year high school wrestlers. That is about as exciting as it sounds. Which looking back at things is exactly what we all did for Rhonda. She beat up a bunch of amatuers and we were all taken back by it. She got got when she faced someone with real experience in the fighting world.

1 Like
baj54 -
WaltJ -

I want you to get this excited over D.Cruz wrestling a bunch of first and second year high school wrestlers. That is about as exciting as it sounds. Which looking back at things is exactly what we all did for Rhonda. She beat up a bunch of amatuers and we were all taken back by it. She got got when she faced someone with real experience in the fighting world.

Fair enough point.   I won't argue that at all, as I am, by and large,  a detractor of WMMA aside from a few fighters. 

She just happened to be one of the first, from an athletic accomplishment standpoint, and a technical standpoint (at least in terms of grappling) to look good doing the WMMA thing.  That, combined with the UFC promotion led to her rise, and subsequent downfall.

JThomasufc91 -

If she would have learned a nice double leg. I mean. She could’ve been so much better. Holly took her to school. 

not sure of the truth of this, but I've heard several times that she couldn't effectively shoot single and double legs because her knees were already shot by the time she came to MMA.

baj54 -
WaltJ -

3 of those amatuers beat Amanda Nunes.

Amanda obviously evolved and improved; Ronda did not.

judo man - She said many gyms weren't into teaching MMA for women back then. Until she found Edmond, she stayed mainly because she was loyal. Edmond brainwashed her until thinking she was good striker and was bangkok ready. She should have switched camps early and focused on her judo. Her own ego was her downfall.

She thought she could walk into Boxing and be a World Champion.

Mr Karate -
judo man - She said many gyms weren't into teaching MMA for women back then. Until she found Edmond, she stayed mainly because she was loyal. Edmond brainwashed her until thinking she was good striker and was bangkok ready. She should have switched camps early and focused on her judo. Her own ego was her downfall.

I remember this.  Ronda’s mother, who also knows a thing or two having competed at a high level on combat sports , always used to rip Edmond apart as being a putz and a fraud.  This was something Nunes mentioned, too, that Edmond convinced her that she was some high level striker and that ended up being her downfall.   

I still question how much and how hard the Holm and Nunes version of Rousey really trained, and I think at that point, Edmond's shortcomings exploded into the limelight.  RondaMania was in full swing at that point, with movies,  award shows, TV interviews, etc.  

It was all a recipe for disaster. I just watched a minute or two of JRE when he had Ronda on.  My God was Edmond a putz.  He's like that Armenian shyster character from the Grand Theft Auto game.

1 Like

Because Muhammad Ali wasn’t available? 

she cat syndrome; ignore and she keeps coming. he ignored her.

she had a strong chance of beating holmes and nunes IF she got the right coaches. let’s look at gsp for a second:

boxing-roach

bjj-danahar

wrestling -olympic athletes

conditioning and regular training-tri star zahabi

strategy-jackson.

now let’s look at rousey:

boxing-chocula

bjj-rener?!?! (akins for a while, but she lost him because relationships, yada, yada)

judo? i don’t think she had one, she left gokor’s training, she alienated 2 of the top schools.

wrestling? ditto

conditioning? edmond

strategy? edmond.

what i would have suggested

boxing: roach, garcia sanchez-all in cali

bjj: roger gracie, werdum, maia, danahar, stevens

judo: ishii, aoki, maybe stun gun, canto, travis stevens

wrestling: maybe woodley? hendriks? i’m sure some olympian or iowa state alumni are around.

conditioning? rhadi ferguson, or pulkkinen or poliquin or paulchek (her conditioning wasn’t a problem though)

strategy: jackson or zahabi or someone from aka (cook?) or blackhouse maybe.

by the time she was ufc champ, she could have afforded a training camp like gsp.

WaltJ -
Mr Karate -

I remember this.  Ronda’s mother, who also knows a thing or two having competed at a high level on combat sports , always used to rip Edmond apart as being a putz and a fraud.  This was something Nunes mentioned, too, that Edmond convinced her that she was some high level striker and that ended up being her downfall.   

I still question how much and how hard the Holm and Nunes version of Rousey really trained, and I think at that point, Edmond's shortcomings exploded into the limelight.  RondaMania was in full swing at that point, with movies,  award shows, TV interviews, etc.  

It was all a recipe for disaster. I just watched a minute or two of JRE when he had Ronda on.  My God was Edmond a putz.  He's like that Armenian shyster character from the Grand Theft Auto game.

I remember that Cowboy was on right after that or it might have been after she fought in Brazil. Joe was fangirling hard and cowboy had to fuck him up with some knowledge 

yusul - she cat syndrome; ignore and she keeps coming. he ignored her.

she had a strong chance of beating holmes and nunes IF she got the right coaches. let’s look at gsp for a second:

boxing-roach

bjj-danahar

wrestling -olympic athletes

conditioning and regular training-tri star zahabi

strategy-jackson.

now let’s look at rousey:

boxing-chocula

bjj-rener?!?! (akins for a while, but she lost him because relationships, yada, yada)

judo? i don’t think she had one, she left gokor’s training, she alienated 2 of the top schools.

wrestling? ditto

conditioning? edmond

strategy? edmond.

what i would have suggested

boxing: roach, garcia sanchez-all in cali

bjj: roger gracie, werdum, maia, danahar, stevens

judo: ishii, aoki, maybe stun gun, canto, travis stevens

wrestling: maybe woodley? hendriks? i’m sure some olympian or iowa state alumni are around.

conditioning? rhadi ferguson, or pulkkinen or poliquin or paulchek (her conditioning wasn’t a problem though)

strategy: jackson or zahabi or someone from aka (cook?) or blackhouse maybe.

by the time she was ufc champ, she could have afforded a training camp like gsp.

I believe her judo coach was Justin Flores.

Other than that your post is spot on.

^ah, i remember now. well, we know her judo wasn’t a problem, lol.

WaltJ -
Mr Karate -

There is a chance for the Holms fight she was distracted. She was doing a ton of other stuff at the same time and was really pushing into Hollywood. And she didn’t look good at the weigh in, weirdly drained.

But she cut everything out for the Nunes fight. Wouldn’t even do promotion. She trained her ass off and looked great the weigh in. She BADLY wanted that title back. Her entire public image she craved was the invincible super woman. It was everything to her.

But you know ...... Nunes.

Two words: HEN MOVEMENT

1 Like

He was a yes man and sycophant and that’s all she wanted out of a camp.

judo man - She said many gyms weren't into teaching MMA for women back then. Until she found Edmond, she stayed mainly because she was loyal. Edmond brainwashed her until thinking she was good striker and was bangkok ready. She should have switched camps early and focused on her judo. Her own ego was her downfall.

I think it was Gokor's gym where a lot of the guys didn't want to train with a woman, and she had a lot of problems finding sparring partners early on in her career.

The Destroyer88 - 
judo man - She said many gyms weren't into teaching MMA for women back then. Until she found Edmond, she stayed mainly because she was loyal. Edmond brainwashed her until thinking she was good striker and was bangkok ready. She should have switched camps early and focused on her judo. Her own ego was her downfall.

I think it was Gokor's gym where a lot of the guys didn't want to train with a woman, and she had a lot of problems finding sparring partners early on in her career.

If the videos that are out there of her sparring with men are any indication of what kind of training partner she is, I wouldn’t have wanted to spar with her either.