Why Didn't Ned Legitimize Jon?

Why didn't Ned get his bestest friend in the whole world, Robert Baratheon, to legitimize Jon as a Stark?

He always treated him as a son and wanted him to be close to his brothers and I would assume that it would please him to be able to pass on lands and titles to him, as much as Cat would hate it.

The funny thing is that Robb actually did legitimize him under the authority of King in the North right before he got schwacked at the Twins so Jon never found out about it.

Among other things, he probably didn't want Robert questioning anything about his parentage, now matter which theory is true. Phone Post 3.0

Why would Ned disinherit his sons in favour of his nephew?

effinggoof - Why would Ned disinherit his sons in favour of his nephew?

Legitimizing Jon wouldn't have disinherited the other kids outright. When Robb legitimized him he wasn't looking at it through the lense of doing a disservice to Bran and Rickon, methinks.

Because Jon isn't his son. Phone Post 3.0

Death and Taxes - 

Cat would hate it.

She would absolutely hate it, but she already hated having him there.

Sounds like a good way to get him wacked at a young age by Cat or someoneone on the Small Council.

If nobody is asking awkward questions, best to be quiet. Hell, they sent him to The Wall, it sounds like they wanted him to quietly disappear (with no heir).

*SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS*

Because he is probably Ned's nephew and a Targ. His mom is Robert's obsession to a guy he went to war to kill. Jon's parentage makes him Targ heir to the throne and a threat to the "Baratheon" line. 

Legitimizing him puts him in danger and Ned probably promised to protect him no matter what. 

Sagiv Lapkin - 

Legitimizing Jon wouldn't have disinherited the other kids outright. When Robb legitimized him he wasn't looking at it through the lense of doing a disservice to Bran and Rickon, methinks.

Robb was ignorant of Jons parentage, and thought his siblings dead or captured. Its a whole different thing.

Among other reasons stated I don't think Ned would like asking a favour of the king Phone Post 3.0

Because he wasn't his son.

He had a lot of respect for his wife and didn't want to dishonour her.

I think the biggest question would be, why wouldn't he just tell her the truth?

shaqitup - Because he wasn't his son.

When more than one person knows a secret, it isn't a secret. Everyone has a different secret circle and that's how it spreads. Ned tells Cat who tells Robb who tells Jon who tells etc. etc. etc. 

Sagiv Lapkin -

At that point a disservice to his wife, which was a disservice in turn from his dead older brother (who put bed in line to marry Cat, his bro's girl). Ned was fucked from the start. Phone Post 3.0

DaveFu - 
shaqitup - Because he wasn't his son.

When more than one person knows a secret, it isn't a secret. Everyone has a different secret circle and that's how it spreads. Ned tells Cat who tells Robb who tells Jon who tells etc. etc. etc. 

She is his wife and doesn't seem to have loose lips.

It would have made Jon's life 100x easier.

The only reason I can see is Cat's distaste of Jon is a good way to hide the secret.

sillypants - 
Sagiv Lapkin -

At that point a disservice to his wife, which was a disservice in turn from his dead older brother (who put bed in line to marry Cat, his bro's girl). Ned was fucked from the start. Phone Post 3.0

I think that the "disservice to his wife" ship had already left the port when he brought him back and let everyone believe it was his son. Might as well have formalized it at that point IMO.

Didn't want people asking questions about Jon's mom and wanted to keep fucking Cat Phone Post 3.0

DaveFu -

SPOILER SPOILERS SPOILERS

Because he is probably Ned's nephew and a Targ. His mom is Robert's obsession to a guy he went to war to kill. Jon's parentage makes him Targ heir to the throne and a threat to the "Baratheon" line. 

Legitimizing him puts him in danger and Ned probably promised to protect him no matter what. 

This Phone Post 3.0

loose lips...nice

Sagiv Lapkin - 

Why didn't Ned get his bestest friend in the whole world, Robert Baratheon, to legitimize Jon as a Stark?

He always treated him as a son and wanted him to be close to his brothers and I would assume that it would please him to be able to pass on lands and titles to him, as much as Cat would hate it.

The funny thing is that Robb actually did legitimize him under the authority of King in the North right before he got schwacked at the Twins so Jon never found out about it.

Ned or someone mentioned that since the blackfyre rebellion, no good king would legitimize their bastards.

I would make succession nuts and specifically pit brother against brother.

Sagiv Lapkin -

I need you to delete my latest thread plz Phone Post 3.0