Why Didn't They Replace Kampmann..

... with Salaverry???

And instead match up Okami with Martin (Salaverry's original opponent). Only Salaverry-Franklin would be MAIN EVENT material, imo.

Great logic.

Pick a faded hasbeen over a top contender. BLAF-style matchmaking

"Pick a faded hasbeen over a top contender."

LOL I almost bit. Good one.

Than Salaverry???

^ Exactly!

I'd be willing to bet that Salaverry DOMINATES Franklin (most likely on the ground).

this would actually be a good idea. I think it would be better to put salaverry in there instead. However, I doubt salaverry would accept this matchup in such short notice.

"However, I doubt salaverry would accept this matchup in such short notice."

I bet Franklin wouldn't jump at the opportunity either! :)

"However, I doubt salaverry would accept this matchup in such short notice. "

Plus he's already been training and set to fight Terry Martin in 3 weeks at UFC 71.

So what, bro? Instead of fighting in 2-3 weeks, he gets to extend his training a bit more for a career-defining match-up. Zuffa dropped the ball on this one, imo.

Because then they would have to jack up a bigger card in UFC 71, by finding someone to fight Martin on short notice instead which is also a main card fight.

Also, no one has seen Salaverry in the UFC for 2 years and it would be a waste to have him on the main event. Especially with the fact that the last image UFC only viewers (who make up the bulk of the viewing audience) have seen of Salavaerry was losing in possibly one of the most boring main events ever in the UFN fight against Nate.

Ivan needs to build himself back up in the UFC before main eventing against Rich.

Okami probably deserved Rich even more than Kampmann, with Kampmann probably only getting the shot because he is from Europe and this UFC is in Ireland. Okami gets the next logical match-up in terms of international appeal and build up.

Okami has gone 4-0 in the UFC since August, and has been fighting reguarly and beat TUF poster boy Swick.

Good match-up for free Spike TV UFC.

salaverry hasnt fought in almost a year, probably needs a warm up fight

lol I guess... but for REAL MMA fans, you guys KNOW that Slavarry-Franklin would be RIDICULOUSLY awesome.

lol Yeah right. People said Riggs and Marquardt would destroy Salaverry too.

I like Salaverry but no way in hell is he currently more deserving then Okami for a #1 contender fight.

The dude's only had one fight(art santore) since losing to Marquardt in 2005....and that was back in july 06!

The question should be: Why didn't they replace Kampmann with LINDLAND!

I actually thought of that also but I quickly realized that he just fought FEDOR and probably would need a bit more time to prepare for Franklin.

UFC 71 is bad enough of a card without removing Salavarry from it, IMO.

"UFC 71 is bad enough of a card without removing Salavarry from it, IMO."

Not if they replaced Salaverry with Grove or Doerksen.

Okami is the right replacement.