Why do fans like Fedor?

For the gross majority of both their careers, mentioning Mir's name in the same sentence as Fedor would have you laughed out of the room amongst knowledgable fans.

Frank(while a great A level fighter) has struggled his entire career to put together more than a couple high level wins in a row before suffering a brutal setback.

Fedor had THE streak that all other streaks in the sport will be compared to.

Missed it? Tough shit.

HELWIG - For the gross majority of both their careers, mentioning Mir's name in the same sentence as Fedor would have you laughed out of the room amongst knowledgable fans.

"Knowledgeable" fans...cute.

This is exactly why the Fedor Delusionalists are so ridiculous. If someone suggest that Fedor would get his ass handed to him by most elite 205ers they would also have been laughed at. Then along comes 185er Henderson and KO's the myth....kinda funny isn't it?

For people who actually study the sport and understand what they are watching, this is no surprise. To people that are dazzled by pretty numbers and don't see how a fighter moves, or throws a punch or sets up submissions...just W's and L's...they are the ones who "laugh" when someone who knows more suggests a viable threat that the dazzled idiots don't see.

Mir KO'd Crocop..Fedor couldn't.
Mir KO'd Nog....Fedor couldn't.
Mir submitted Nog...Fedor couldn't..and he had 3 chances.

But feel free to laugh, it lets the rest of us know not to take you seriously.

Don't understand the sport? Tough shit.

SgtJustinTeplitz - 
Alistair Overstream - could be the fact he didnt lose in 30 pro fights and that he always came looking for a finish but hey what do i as a fan know?

It could, except Jones hasn't lost and finishes everyone and half the forum seems to absolutely hate him. I don't forsee them liking him more if he continues to win.

Smugcloud - Most liked him because he dominated in Pride. It was a more cool thing to do, rooting for Pride fighters because it showed you were more hardcore of a fan. I enjoyed Fedors fights but I never considered him the GOAT though.

Somehow.. this is even worse than the OP, in a very subtle way.

We didn't follow Pride because it was "cool", LOL.

Pride actually had the better fighters, for a significant amount of time, especially at HW/LHW. Plus.. Pride was alot closer to pure "NHB", than the current UFC.

WTF does "cool" have to do with anything outside of Jr, Highschool?

BTW - when I said "we", that didn't include you.

:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We lived through Fedor's run of greatness. Originally, I read your post and got pissed off, but I guess I can't blame you that much if you're a kid and just started following the sport.

Let me help you understand a little. During Fedor's run, he had an aura of invincibility. He was incredible. The speed and power in his punches was off the charts. His armbars from guard were lightning quick. He defeated the greatest heavyweight in MMA history to that point in time in Big Nog twice. Mirko Cro Cop was a KILLER back during his PRIDE days. This guy was a murderous striker. He was the elite of the elite in mixed martial arts, along with Big Nog. Fedor beat both of these guys. These wins cannot be underestimated or understated. There is much, much more to the Fedor legacy than this for which I don't have time to type out. I suggest searching for a poster named whistleblower and reading his posts about the topic.

DRevan - 
HELWIG - For the gross majority of both their careers, mentioning Mir's name in the same sentence as Fedor would have you laughed out of the room amongst knowledgable fans.

This is exactly why the Fedor Delusionalists are so ridiculous. If someone suggest that Fedor would get his ass handed to him by most elite 205ers they would also have been laughed at. Then along comes 185er Henderson and KO's the myth....kinda funny isn't it?

For people who actually study the sport and understand what they are watching, this is no surprise. To people that are dazzled by pretty numbers and don't see how a fighter moves, or throws a punch or sets up submissions...just W's and L's...they are the ones who "laugh" when someone who knows more suggests a viable threat that the dazzled idiots don't see.

Your the one who doesn't understand.

Pretending to, only makes it more obvious.

Cro Cop was a shadow of his former self against Mir.

Mir looked GREAT last night.. but Nog had him in trouble.

A fighter like Fedor, especially a few years ago, would not let Mir survive that bad position Nog had him in.

I like Mir, and have been very impressed with his improvments.

But a few years ago.. Fedor would have been the about the worst possible matchup for Mir, stylistically. Look at what Freeman did..and imagine what a prime Fedor could do.

Even now.. Fedor would be a serious threat to Mir, though Mir would be the favorite among odds makers. As awsome as Mir has been, he has never been a world beater.

I believe Mir is in his prime right now. Fedor seems to be past his. (age is only one of many factors)

Mir also doesn't have the best takedowns, and so far, hasn't shown a dominant top game.

With Fedor's punching power, and slick hips.. to say Fedor wouldn't be a dangerous opponent for Mir, is absurd.

DRevan -

VTFD

Herring In A Fur Coat -  Fedor was an amazing fighter in his prime, beating everyone at their own game and super humble.  What was not to like? 

Boom!

Good to see some quality posters bringing the truth to this suckass thread. Phone Post

HELWIG - Why can any new member make threads the day they join?

How does that make ANY sense in a post TUF world?

Man TUF started over 5 years ago, it has nothing to do with anything. Neither does WWE, Brock, FOX or any other common reference for dumb posts. Its the same people and the same type of people, they are called idiots, attention whores, ignorant, fighter bashers or any other name to refer to a "troll".

With that said, the OP just wants attention. And as always, we give it to them. lol I think we are all sick in the head! haha

I'm pretty sure this is a troll thread anyway, but it's good to respond in case newer fans are reading the boards.

Here is my thought on Fedor, He was the greatest of his era no doubt, ranted his managers and promotions he fought under gave him a lot of favorable match ups but that doesn't take away from the skill he showed.

http://cagejunkies.com/2011/10/eye-of-the-fan-10-19-11/

It may help some of the new fans and remind some of the older ones what really went down, as I remember it anyway.

WAR FEDOR!

DRevan - 

In all fairness those fights happened years after CC and NOG were the dominate fighters when Fedor fought them. I'm far from a delusional fan, anyone who isn't just hating knows the difference between the NOG/CC that Mir beat and the ones Fedor fought.

With that said, Mir did what nobody had/has done. Mir was the first to KO Nog, and he is the only one to make him tap. Those accomplishments have nothing to do with the Fedor of that time.

Herring In A Fur Coat - 
onepunchJD - Pride was alot closer to pure "NHB", than the current UFC.

Pride was in no way closer to pure NHB than the current UFC.

They just arbitrarily banned elbows and allowed knees on the ground, instead of the other way around.

Longer rounds.. kicks to downed opponent.. face stomps.. Open weight tournaments.. etc.

I personally think both knees AND elbows should be allowed on the ground. I believe Pride didn't want all the cuts that come with elbows on the ground.

Either way.. its pretty hard to argue that there was not more "NHB" in Pride, than "current" UFC.

chris80cent - 
fsshariq -
chris80cent -  Omg.. U should know not to make threads like this, fedor cack suckers comes out to feed. Phone Post

omg. you are so funny. NOT. keep trollin. 
Ur proving my point even more, thanks. Phone Post

Having such extreme and closed minded "opinions", is usually a sign of youth.

Realtiy is grey areas.

If I just started watching football in the last year, what on Earth would give me the impression that I had ANY kind of worthwhile perspective or basis for my opinions on it?

Even other idiots wouldnt want to hear my bullshit when it came to football.

Id just be repeating what I had heard from other people, or simply saying who I did or did not "like" as a team.

i find the reverse question so much more intriguing.

what, honestly, has Fedor done to make people hate or dismiss him so readily and so passionately...especially given the universal respect for him amongst fighters?

He was exciting.

He always came across as humble and respectful. Can you find me an example of Fedor talking shit about any other fighter?

Those are the main ones right there.

He's like a character out of a movie that lots of people found relateable. A quiet, humble guy who looks like a regular dude--balding with a spare tire, and then turns out to be unbeatable against the likes of Nog, Mirko, 5 UFC champs, Giants, Freaks etc. has a great deal of appeal. He trains on a playground with a bunch of Russian hillbillies doing dips on kids toys and hitting a tire with a hammer while other guys are wearing gas masks and following fitness fads religiously.

He was never the best at a single thing, but when putting it all together, there was no one better ever. He, as Trigg said was a brown belt in everything. From Rings to the Arlovski fight, he was everything good about MMA. Then he stopped progressing and the results showed it.