Why do gay guys almost always talk that way?

Was just at a subway.  Stood in line behind a total normally looking guy.  Thought nothing of it.  But then he started talking to order.  He was obviously gay because he had that gay talk everyone recognizes.

Why is that?  Is it in their genes to talk like that?  Or do they all just do it so they can tell who else is gay and thus who they can hit on?  Do lesbians have a similar way all their talk sounds the same?

Thanks.

There's a few customers who are "straight" who talk like that and it's like come on, stop lying 

early strong female influence?

Familiarity. You start to sound like those you are surrounded by. 

Guythhh... Thtoop, OK you guyyythhhh? 

Because they're gay.

When I was kid, my cousin who was 6 years old talked that way. It was so bad people had trouble understanding what he was saying.
Guess what. He's an adult now, and only likes women as friends.

Nobody taught him to talk that way. It's obviously caused by something in the brain. I don't know what, but maybe humanity will eventually find it.

ringworm - When I was kid, my cousin who was 6 years old talked that way. It was so bad people had trouble understanding what he was saying.

Nobody taught him to talk that way. It's obviously caused by something in the brain. I don't know what, but maybe humanity will eventually find it.
Some are born to speak like that but I think a lot learn to speak like it or put it on to fit in

ringworm - When I was kid, my cousin who was 6 years old talked that way. It was so bad people had trouble understanding what he was saying.

At what age did you “test”him ?

It's probably a learned behavior to safely indicate your persuasion and see if there's someone receptive.

Sometimes people are receptive but get angry instead since they're in denial and refuse their inner desires.

frederic - It's probably a learned behavior to safely indicate your persuasion and see if there's someone receptive.

Sometimes people are receptive but get angry instead since they're in denial and refuse their inner desires.

According to your theory, my six year old cousin knew all about the gay subculture, and was talking that way to see if his grandma would be receptive to kind of thing when he kept asking her for a "TTHHoda", and he was getting frustrated because she had to ask other people what he was saying.

They don't. 

HaoleBoy - 
ringworm - When I was kid, my cousin who was 6 years old talked that way. It was so bad people had trouble understanding what he was saying.

At what age did you “test”him ?

The lisping thing didn't raise any eyebrows. The first time any relatives worried about him was when he wanted to be wonder-woman for Halloween, and even that only freaked out his mom. Years later after he graduated college, my mom said that somebody thought he was gay, and asked me if I thought it was true. I used google, and sure enough, the answer was yes.

ringworm - When I was kid, my cousin who was 6 years old talked that way. It was so bad people had trouble understanding what he was saying.

Nobody taught him to talk that way.

He picked it up from someone.

1800champagne -

They don't. 

This. It's a common misconception and one that frustrates a lot of gay men. A lot of them dislike and get annoyed by the rainbow flags and over the top flamboyant behavior.

One of my classmates from college, who is now a cop, told me he was gay not a faggot when I asked if he was going to the local pride parade.

ringworm - 
frederic - It's probably a learned behavior to safely indicate your persuasion and see if there's someone receptive.

According to your theory, my six year old cousin knew all about the gay subculture, and was talking that way to see if his grandma would be receptive to kind of thing when he kept asking her for a "TTHHoda", and he was getting frustrated because she had to ask other people what he was saying.

A lot of things make the world go around. I'm rarely surprised anymore.

TheMMAn - 

Nobody taught him to talk that way.

He picked it up from someone.

Seriously? There were words that he never pronounced correctly even once until after he had intensive speech therapy. We're talking about a little kid who wanted a sweet fizzy drink, but couldn't pronounce the word "soda".

I'm supposed to believe that was deliberately affecting a lisp because he thought that one of his relatives would pick up on it and give him the D?

Girly - 

There's a few customers who are "straight" who talk like that and it's like come on, stop lying 

It's how the younger generation speaks these days. There was a guy at work everyone assumed was gay because he had the lisp and attitude but he has a fiance who appears to be a woman.

David Cross does a bit on it.  [using gay speech] "Not all gay men talk like this, but only gay men talk like this".

Theres a documentary about the phenomenon OP

I don't get it... a few of my friends came out after college and immediately started talking that way. I called them out on it and they claimed to not even realizing they were doing it.