Why do people get Masters degrees just to teach

Seriously though?

thats an incredible amount of dedication and work just to get a mediocre salary

i get some people really wanna teach but as for everyone else why not do something more lucrative or work somewhere where you could possibly change the world ?

Getting my Master's was easier than getting my Bachelor's. 

It also took less time. 

But fuck teaching. 

People with graduate degrees get higher salaries in most cases. 

To move into administration at some point. Many districts require it to be a principal.

Mrbrownfolks -

To move into administration at some point. Many districts require it to be a principal.

Some require it for all teachers after a set number of years.

isn't any ungrad + masters in education = teacher -> principal?

i thought getting your masters was always leaving a side quest available when your main quest plan got tiresome.

Teachers get paid more if the have a masters.  It doesn't even matter if it is applicable to what they are teaching.  Also, many teachers look to advance in to the administration.  To be a principal, or vice principal it is required.  I just ran into a girl from high school that is now a school counselor.  She is a few hours away from her PhD.  She said she can't wait to make everyone call her "Dr."  She'll get a bump in pay for doing the same job, and the district paid for her continuing education.

DaveFu - 

People with graduate degrees get higher salaries in most cases. 

Last I checked, in my area, teachers made about $1,000 more per year, with a Masters

Muscle Vision - 

Seriously though?

thats an incredible amount of dedication and work just to get a mediocre salary

i get some people really wanna teach but as for everyone else why not do something more lucrative or work somewhere where you could possibly change the world ?

You could argue that teaching children is possibly the best way to change the world?

Or do you mean "change the world" as in like creating the next scammy social media app to harvest personal data?

Mark

Yeah each step pays more

For example bachelor may be start at 40k with 2.5k raise every year.   With Masters it's 43k + 4k raise with masters + 15 it's 45k + 5k with Masters +30 it's 47k + 6k 

some shit like that

The Masters is usually required to teach at college's and universities isn't it?

STD Machine - 

They teach cause they can't "Do".

"Do" what?  3rd grade math?

Mark

My 3 in Laws are all teachers with masters degrees and all make 100,000+

They teach highschool in Canada

To teach at community colleges, a masters is required.

Many professional students end up professional teachers.   

STD Machine -

They teach cause they can't "Do".

this is a comment meant for college professors. And even there, it really is only aimed at certain majors/professions. it doesn't really apply to elementary/high school. 

new york requires all teachers have a master's within 5 years. 

and as somebody else said, the master's was much easier to get than the bachelor's

Bad Monkey - 

Teachers get paid more if the have a masters.  It doesn't even matter if it is applicable to what they are teaching.  Also, many teachers look to advance in to the administration.  To be a principal, or vice principal it is required.  I just ran into a girl from high school that is now a school counselor.  She is a few hours away from her PhD.  She said she can't wait to make everyone call her "Dr."  She'll get a bump in pay for doing the same job, and the district paid for her continuing education.

yep

Teachers get paid more with a higher degree. Although, every school district I've known in the past 15 years will actually hire a teacher with a BA/BS then pay a significant portion if they're working towards a masters.

My wife had a 5 year Masters program. Was just the program that her university had. Benefits her in a lot of ways and she was able to get into administrative roles as well.