Why do people stop taking Meds...?!?

I know a few people with bipolar or other depressive or anxiety problems. They get on medication that really helps and allows them to function better and work. Problem is, these people will start doing well on Meds but then get off them and go downhill fast. One person got off Meds and just stopped going to work and lost her job due to this and this is like the 3rd time this has happened with her

This seems to be almost common though but why? Why get off Meds that are helping you smile and go to work and care for your kids?

Because they are crazy to begin with.

3 Likes

They wanna think they are just fine without it.

Says the guy who is named after a serial killing rapist. 

1 Like

Some psych drugs have pretty nasty side effects. They get fat and are half asleep all the time.

Some psych meds need adjusting from time to time. 

When it’s time to adjust them, they start to go crazy again and convince themselves they are fine without them then stop taking them altogether. 

ons ear - I know a few people with bipolar or other depressive or anxiety problems. They get on medication that really helps and allows them to function better and work. Problem is, these people will start doing well on Meds but then get off them and go downhill fast. One person got off Meds and just stopped going to work and lost her job due to this and this is like the 3rd time this has happened with her

This seems to be almost common though but why? Why get off Meds that are helping you smile and go to work and care for your kids?

My brother is a boarder line psychopath but on his meds he is one of the nicest and likable guys you’d ever meet. Off of them, he is a train wreck of bad decisions, violence, and drug addiction.

In his adult life, his longest stretch of sanity was a little shy of a year. He was dating a gorgeous girl that owned her own business and very well off. He flat out told me when he stopped taking his meds that he “just doesn’t feel alive” when he is on them. He also said being in that stable relationship was boring and that she was too good of a girl to be with him.

Within a month of being off of them he was back in jail.

My friend's son had Grave's Disease which is a thyroid problem. He took the meds for a while and felt better and thought he was now cured and stopped taking them.

Because alot of psych meds have horrendous side effects.

1 Like
ons ear - I know a few people with bipolar or other depressive or anxiety problems. They get on medication that really helps and allows them to function better and work. Problem is, these people will start doing well on Meds but then get off them and go downhill fast. One person got off Meds and just stopped going to work and lost her job due to this and this is like the 3rd time this has happened with her

Because being manic is fun and those drugs can have heavy ass side effects. They turn down the volume on life in general. You’re stable but everything is meh vs manic depressive cycle which has a whole lot going on.  

Lurker99 -
ons ear - I know a few people with bipolar or other depressive or anxiety problems. They get on medication that really helps and allows them to function better and work. Problem is, these people will start doing well on Meds but then get off them and go downhill fast. One person got off Meds and just stopped going to work and lost her job due to this and this is like the 3rd time this has happened with her

My brother is a boarder line psychopath but on his meds he is one of the nicest and likable guys you’d ever meet. Off of them, he is a train wreck of bad decisions, violence, and drug addiction.

In his adult life, his longest stretch of sanity was a little shy of a year. He was dating a gorgeous girl that owned her own business and very well off. He flat out told me when he stopped taking his meds that he “just doesn’t feel alive” when he is on them. He also said being in that stable relationship was boring and that she was too good of a girl to be with him.

Within a month of being off of them he was back in jail.

“He flat out told me when he stopped taking his meds that he "just doesn't feel alive" when he is on them”

This is very common. 

Dont do it OP.

Pokanghoya - They wanna think they are just fine without it.

Yup! That’s the most common answer I hear on a day to day basis. They take their medicine feel better and then don’t think they need it anymore.

There are other excuses such as they don’t like how they felt and such. I have found that explaining to them that psychiatry and finding medication that works is more like an art than a science There are probably 10 different drugs for the same problem yet have 10 individual other complications you have to wade through to find out what works the best. People tend to not understand this and stop taking it instead of just telling their psychiatrist what about the medication didn’t work for them. Psychiatrist rarely get it right the very first time and I think even they would admit it.

1 Like

My grandmother is on old people drugs and she complains about her stomach being filled with pills.  It's 5 pills total and really no big deal, but I think for some people taking pills is just a constant reminder that something is wrong with you and that's depressing even though they help you.

I'm just a bear, but this is what I have observed at various campgrounds.

-biggest reason like others have said is due to side effects. Weight gain, lack of sexual interest, perceived negative changes in personality, tiredness, feeling flat, etc. Imagine the secondary side effect of being in a relationship and feeling like you arent keeping your partner happy  if you have a nonexistent sex drive. That could be external pressure or self imposed pressure on your self

-individual feels their issues have stabilized and feel they no longer need medication. Keep in mind with some meds it can take weeks to stop feeling the effects once you stop use, or to feel effects when you start. This can lead a person to think that they are doing fine off meds.

-outside of side effects already covered, the individual may feel being on the meds is negatively impacting their life.  For example if you are a creative type like a comedian or musician you may feel you need your depression or mania for material or because you believe it makes you better are your craft in some way. Lot of humans with mh feel their ailment is a core element of who they are person.

-health and stigma. Look at how this thread will unfold. Lots of stigma about medication and people on medication. In addition lots of people just dont want to put a bunch of stuff into their body.

-consequence of mh issues itself. Individuals with schizophrenia often cant tell fiction from reality. They might not be able to tell you what planet they are on or think everyone is out to get them. How hard do you think it must be for this sort of person to stay on top of a daily medication regiment? Hell healthy functioning humans often dont stay on top of their prescriptions ie birth control, pain pill dosages, diabetes, etc. However according to the owl there are medical advances and a movement towards monthly shots for individuals for schizophrenia which would greatly increase medication compliance for many reasons.

-mh symptoms can be fun. Mania often feels great to the people who experience it.

As for me? I can assure you I'm getting my honey daily

topteam71 -

Because they are crazy to begin with.

End thread. 

After having a small stroke I started having panic attacks. Been on Zoloft for 3.5 years and gained 30lbs. Tapered off slowly across 6 weeks and have had no noticeable issues. 

the big problem is quitting abruptly. 

dhughes - 

After having a small stroke I started having panic attacks. Been on Zoloft for 3.5 years and gained 30lbs. Tapered off slowly across 6 weeks and have had no noticeable issues. 

the big problem is quitting abruptly. 

What's your gofundme? 

I went from Twink to Bear fast. 

To see what being a liberal feels like....