Why do people travel?

Okay... I can see the merit of travelling to some truly unique place and actually doing shit there like say you go Peru you hike to the top of Machu Pichu.

With that said what is with all the people travelling from one city to the other to "experience it". Basically every big city is exactly the same. People I know travel from Vancouver to Seattle and spend 5 days in a hotel there and just sit on their fat asses and eat at restaurants and/or go to bars at night. It's basically the exact same city. 

Or people who travel from New York to Hong Kong city to do the same thing. I just don't get it... It's all the fucking same and you're just paying for a hotel to do something you could do at home.

To post pictures of themself there on Facebook.

You should try travelling from your mom's basement to the main floor.....

RhinoHog -

You should try travelling from your mom's basement to the main floor.....

Give me a warning first though 

Right Hand JO Power - To post pictures of themself there on Facebook.
Sad but true.

As someone who grew up in N.Y.and recently visited Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo there are big differences. It was an incredible experience.

This has to be a troll or the place where OP stores all of his extra chromosomes

I live in England.... I travel to see what the sun looks like!!

Right Hand JO Power - To post pictures of themself there on Facebook.

This is pretty much true, it's like did you enjoy your vacation at all as it seemed like you spent the majority of your time posting pictures in Facebook 

triforce -

Okay... I can see the merit of travelling to some truly unique place and actually doing shit there like say you go Peru you hike to the top of Machu Pichu.

With that said what is with all the people travelling from one city to the other to "experience it". Basically every big city is exactly the same. People I know travel from Vancouver to Seattle and spend 5 days in a hotel there and just sit on their fat asses and eat at restaurants and/or go to bars at night. It's basically the exact same city. 

Or people who travel from New York to Hong Kong city to do the same thing. I just don't get it... It's all the fucking same and you're just paying for a hotel to do something you could do at home.

Idiot of the day award goes to you.

Not very cultured, are you?

If you go somewhere for a week, then yes, there's no point. You just stay in a hotel or wonder around streets randomly looking for restaurants like you're at Disneyland.

But living somewhere else for a month or more...or better yet, long enough to learn the language, is a seriously mind expanding experience. Not enough people do it, imo.

To get away from crapy American food 

except for pizza 

effertime - If you go somewhere for a week, then yes, there's no point. You just stay in a hotel or wonder around streets randomly looking for restaurants like you're at Disneyland.

But living somewhere else for a month or more...or better yet, long enough to learn the language, is a seriously mind expanding experience. Not enough people do it, imo.

I think there is always something to be gained from traveling no matter where you go or the length of time.

Even just being in an unfamiliar city means having to adapt to different surroundings and going a bit outside your comfort zone. That's always going to be a good thing for personal development.

I wonder what Henry Rollins' response to this question would be?

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a long while. Maybe if McDonalds had separate menues in different cities I could explain it to you in a way you'd understand 

Im ready to get home after 3 days or so

You sound like a wonderful person to be around. 

Get off yer ass and experience some shit. You won't realize how close minded you are until you see, hear, feel and live another culture. Even for a short time. It's really life changing.

You probably think every city is the same because you do the same things in every city. Expand your horizons a little.

OP sounds like a total drag.

And if you can't notice the differences between cities, you aren't very perceptive (and I guess...shouldn't bother traveling).

It's because places are different, that we travel.

Time can seem to slip by fast day to day, because when at home you tend to experience a lot of the same things - people, sights, etc - and they become routine. It's one of the reasons cognitive scientists suggest time seems to speed up as you age: rote experiences become more automatic, already experienced, less thought about - more "sleep walking" as it were.

New experiences awaken your mind, demand attention and thought. New city? Gotta figure out how to navigate it. New food? New buildings, people, weather...the more new the more awakened and in the moment you can become, sort of like being a kid again. It's a truly wonderful thing to experience, which is why I travel as much as I can.

Hell, I'm in Canada and just came back from picking something up in buffalo NY. Much of it is an arm-pit. But it's DIFFERENT from where I live and that is interesting. And sometimes even subtle differences, even the style or materials used to make the houses, or just the subtle differences between how Americans interact with me vs Canadians, is interesting.