Why do people travel?

It's just alright. People ignore the 20% of the trip which is the misery of airports, security, cabs, trains, etc.

A lot of people, especially women, travel to alleviate their inherent penchant for narcissism. Women lack the internal machinations to stimulate their minds so they rely on external stimulus. In modern society this is exhibited with travel and posting pictures for their insatiable desire for attention.

The obvious answer is to fuck foreign pussy.

Fuckin homos.

People and cultures are different in different places.  It's fun to go experience that.  Also, coughsyrupOD is spot on.

ABCTT_WillD - 

People and cultures are different in different places.  It's fun to go experience that.  Also, coughsyrupOD is spot on.

Pretty much this. If going somewhere that is 8 hours plus via airplane outside of continental America you have to stay at least 2 weeks and get out to experience the different culture and sights to really appreciate it. Remember that Canada is 150 years old and the US is 240 years. Other countries (and cultures) have been around for alot longer than that still doing what they have done for 100 of years. Also provides a good break from the rat race.

I like seeing things that aren't America.

Traveling like what the OG'ers are talking about is the realm of the privileged, even though most of us here don't think we are. The average dude busting his ass and raising kids won't be traveling much to experience other cultures. Some people I know think going to San Diego from Phoenix is memorable and won't be repeated for several years. So, traveling is great...if you are privileged enough to do it.

emu67 - 

Traveling like what the OG'ers are talking about is the realm of the privileged, even though most of us here don't think we are. The average dude busting his ass and raising kids won't be traveling much to experience other cultures. Some people I know think going to San Diego from Phoenix is memorable and won't be repeated for several years. So, traveling is great...if you are privileged enough to do it.

Privileged? How do you figure? If you bust your balls, cut down on going out and minimize buying stupid shit and living within your means there is no reason why you can't save enough coin to travel to a foreign place every 1 - 2 years.

See and learn new things. Contrary to what Trumpettes say there is lots to learn from other cultures and that can be on city, state , or country level. I hate travelling at this point in my life but that because I hate flying.

Lol you sound like a real fun guy to be around 

Graduate1 -
emu67 - 

Privileged? How do you figure? If you bust your balls, cut down on going out and minimize buying stupid shit and living within your means there is no reason why you can't save enough coin to travel to a foreign place every 1 - 2 years.

Raising a family, being single income for the wife to stay home, buying a house in a good neighborhood, and save money to go to Europe for 1 week with 4 people amounting to $10 to $15K vacation. You mean a lot of families can do that? That's called previliged, which is a good thing. Many of us can't...we're happy going to Disneyland to enjoy the culture there.

emu67 - 
Graduate1 -
emu67 - 

Raising a family, being single income for the wife to stay home, buying a house in a good neighborhood, and save money to go to Europe for 1 week with 4 people amounting to $10 to $15K vacation. You mean a lot of families can do that? That's called previliged, which is a good thing. Many of us can't...we're happy going to Disneyland to enjoy the culture there.

Bro I see what your getting at but it ain't really that hard. Brown bag lunches instead of eating out, by pop / water weekly instead of impulse buying at a gas station and sticking to a budget trying to live below your means and that money can be saved up (if not within a year then in 2). Btw there are tons of deals you can find online for Europe and if you plan a year a head (ideally) you can buy airline tickets cheaper, rent a small flat in a town outside a major city that has a local grocery store and bus it to locations if you can't rent. I have been there and done that in the past as a single father and yes it can be done. Disneyland is a theme park that is over-rated and over-priced.

OP has a point if you're just going to generic cities, which accounts for a lot of cities these days.

get out into the old towns, jungles, mountains, hidden beaches and disappearing cultures and you may have a different view of things

Reenz -

Get off yer ass and experience some shit. You won't realize how close minded you are until you see, hear, feel and live another culture. Even for a short time. It's really life changing.

I have. It's far from life changing. If I'm travelling it's to get to a spot to do good fishing, or hiking, or camping. 

I'm not looking to travel from English speaking city "A" with 100 skyscrapers to Madarin speaking city "B" with 100 skycrapers just to sit in a hotel and roam the exact same streets

triforce - 
Reenz -

Get off yer ass and experience some shit. You won't realize how close minded you are until you see, hear, feel and live another culture. Even for a short time. It's really life changing.

I have. It's far from life changing. If I'm travelling it's to get to a spot to do good fishing, or hiking, or camping. 

I'm not looking to travel from English speaking city "A" with 100 skyscrapers to Madarin speaking city "B" with 100 skycrapers just to sit in a hotel and roam the exact same streets

Every big city I've been to has something different to offer.

You just have to do your research and look. Half of the cool stuff I see in other cities is off the beaten track.

Example: Everyone who goes to Paris goes to the Eiffel tower, the Louvre etc etc.

How many know of or go to the hunting museum? It's frickin insane!

I've ridden through Holland & parts of Germany and driven through France and Germany, been through Belgium and Egypt. Each place has distinct features that make em interesting.

I kinda agree with you OP, dont really care.

Maybe I'd be more interested/willing if flying wasnt such a pain in the ass.

I agree on travelling to cities....lame as hell to me....but I am a landscape photography hobbyist...I enjoy nature vs man made stuff...

I also think flying to Europe to look at art, old buildings and eat over priced food is also one of the biggest wastes of money I could imagine....

I spent a month in Budapest and a couple of days in Zurich Switzerland during a summer college semester. Both were very cool, BUT I had no desire to ever do the typical Europe vacation after that trip....would never pay big $$ to do it.

My wife wants to go to Italy next year and im trying to talk her out of it....We are already going to Iceland next summer and shes not that excited about it, so I told her to pick somewhere to go in early summer (preferably Hawaii or Moab) but she keeps talking about Italy...

Travel is great, but no doubt there are a ton of great things to do right around home that you have never done before.

I'm trying to do some of that shit, as money just got really tight.

triforce -
Reenz -

I get it. Big cities do look the same. I try to travel to places that are different than where I live. For me, I love traveling to Europe all the way from Hawaii. I like to see completely different cultures and landscapes. Experience different food and even weather. I've also been all around the US. Re-reading the OP, if it's just about big cities.. you're right.

Willin - It's just alright. People ignore the 20% of the trip which is the misery of airports, security, cabs, trains, etc.

A lot of people, especially women, travel to alleviate their inherent penchant for narcissism. Women lack the internal machinations to stimulate their minds so they rely on external stimulus. In modern society this is exhibited with travel and posting pictures for their insatiable desire for attention.

My god you're a miserable cunt.

Your privileged if you don't have kids? You confuse privilege and choices in life. You decided to have kids before having the money to live at a comfortable level. Get your life straight before you take responsibility for others. If you have a crappy job and don't get paid, get training in something else. These are choices responsible people make. You sound like a lifelong victim.