Why do pro athletes static stretch before games?

You see it during pre-game in the NFL and NBA. What gives?

From Wiki:

There is doubt over the effectiveness of static stretching, with some circles of sport strongly recommending against it, such as soccer, slamball and rugby league. Recently, there has been a controversy.[1] over static stretching saying that it gets you ready but makes you weaker.

Isometric Stretching/ Static Stretching is often advocated by many coaches and fitness experts as great way to stretch before an athletic event or exercise activity. However, in reality static stretching has been proven detrimental to performance, as recent studies have shown that it tampers explosive ability. Static stretching also augments the joint and can promote instability in the joint, thus making an individual more susceptible to injury. Individual should turn to more dynamic type stretching[2] to enhance rather than hinder performance.

It has been known for some time that static stretching limits your peak strength and power. How much of a detriment this us to team sports is a very different question. Its also a very entrenched way of starting an athletic event.

However as a warm up, its not so great. It doesn't really warm anything up. Better to static stretch in the morning or after a sporting event when you're already warm.

It has been known for some time that static stretching limits your peak strength and power. How much of a detriment this us to team sports is a very different question. Its also a very entrenched way of starting an athletic event.

However as a warm up, its not so great. It doesn't really warm anything up. Better to static stretch in the morning or after a sporting event when you're already warm.

I thought they warmed up before stretching.

"Its also a very entrenched way of starting an athletic event." <---This

TAKU

I think the efficacy of static stretching before events is all dependent on the activity at hand. When you look at gymnastics or those working in the performance arts (think contortionists, dislocation artists, acrobats that require heavy levels of mobility, etc), I think there is efficacy for some static stretching in their cases. Neurologically, the static stretching can help facilitate the inhibition of the protective mechanism of the body and allow them to get into the extreme ranges that their activities require. I am not advocating that they only perform static stretching, but I think it has its place in their warmup/preparation routine for their activities.

Most athletes though don't require the extreme ranges and mobility needed in the aforementioned activities, so I would agree with Taku and vermonter that in nearly all activities, it is just an entrenched way of starting an athletic event.