Why do some guys (Quarry for example) continue?

It baffles me.

Nate Quarry is tough. He also has more skills than I will ever have and seems like a genuine guy.

Why does he continue fighting?

At best he is a top 20 middleweight in the UFC and will never be the champion or get another shot. His style of fighting generally means he takes a lot of damage win or lose and the loses are brutal.

I know there is the whole "because he's a warrior" idea and I appreciate that but I know plenty of instructors and former fighters who I'd imagine privately realised they just aren't gonna get right to the top in MMA and now get their enjoyment through training. They dont feel the need to get the shit beat out of them for a 20k pay check before taxes two or three a year.

I've asked mid-range pro boxers the question and they learn to survive and not take big shots, accept they are on the downside, generally lose safely on points and take the money. MMA guys dont. Every fight is a hard 8 week camp followed by a damaging 15 minute war. I hope they think the signature Affliction shirts etc were worth it in 15 years time.

For the older guys outside the top 10 are they just caught in the "I'm a cage fighter" lifestyle?

Its comparable to Evel Knievel.

He fully accepted he was gonna get hurt but was willing to pay the price in exchange for celebrity and fame. Not to be the best bike jumper inthe world.

its called money.

what else could he do

NVHighRoller - its called money.

Not a great deal of money. They are layed up from earning from coaching etc. while they are injured.

You cant tell me, and I'll use Quarry as an example again, is raking it in.

What else should he do... go wait tables?

He likes his job.

LoiseauElbow - It baffles me.

Nate Quarry is tough. He also has more skills than I will ever have and seems like a genuine guy.

Why does he continue fighting?

At best he is a top 20 middleweight in the UFC and will never be the champion or get another shot. His style of fighting generally means he takes a lot of damage win or lose and the loses are brutal.

I know there is the whole "because he's a warrior" idea and I appreciate that but I know plenty of instructors and former fighters who I'd imagine privately realised they just aren't gonna get right to the top in MMA and now get their enjoyment through training. They dont feel the need to get the shit beat out of them for a 20k pay check before taxes two or three a year.

I've asked mid-range pro boxers the question and they learn to survive and not take big shots, accept they are on the downside, generally lose safely on points and take the money. MMA guys dont. Every fight is a hard 8 week camp followed by a damaging 15 minute war. I hope they think the signature Affliction shirts etc were worth it in 15 years time.

For the older guys outside the top 10 are they just caught in the "I'm a cage fighter" lifestyle?

You claim you're a designer. course that's about as vague as you can get but are you in even the top 1 million at it in the world? are you making money hand over fist doing it?

This is a really silly thread 

Why do people do anything if they can't be the best? There are lots of guys who'll never be top ten who still have great fights and are well worth watching. He's still training with his team and doing something he's good at, which most people can't or won't do. Good luck to him.

what if someone simplified your life like that?

How many years you got left?
Whats your diet and exercise look like?
How much can you really potentially earn/pass on?
why bother, why not just jump off a bridge save society the trouble?

Life is more than just bean counting, it's a journey not a destination as cliche as that sounds, it's true.

" Why do people do anything if they can't be the best? "

A guy who had a bad day making sales doesn't look like he went through a car windshield at 40 miles an hour after a shitty day at the office. Big difference.

Just wondering what the OP does for a living and if your in the top ten in your field? And if not why do you do it?

Answer is... guys like Nate love what they do maybe? And hes a fukin bad mo. I dont see a prob with livin your dream, better than most people will ever see.

Phil Baroni, what are you doing up so early? Are you still in Thailand?

he still sells and nowadays thats the bottom line.

Plus the fact that fotn pays pretty good

Nevermind, Phil. I saw your thread.

DerekJetersRanchDressing - " Why do people do anything if they can't be the best? "

A guy who had a bad day making sales doesn't look like he went through a car windshield at 40 miles an hour after a shitty day at the office. Big difference.

And a guy who has a good day at the office doesn't have thousands of people cheering for him.

I imagine that a retired fighter's future consists of opening a gym and training people, or going to work for somebody else who owns a gym?

Nate would be a good coach, but he needs to retire.

so if your not champ you just give up?