why do they announce bjj blackbelt

when they announce fighters in the ufc, why do they always seem to make it a point to let everyone know when a fighter has a bjj blackbelt but never bother to say anything about when a fighter has a black belt in another art? For example, chuck has a black belt in kenpo. Many fighters have black belts in other arts. The only one I can recall them announcing is karo's judo black belt. What gives? and don't give me that crap about TMAs being crap and black belts in them not meaning shit. Many of them take just as long to get black belts in as bjj. And BJJ black belts have been getting their asses handed to them lately too, so.....

Because a BJJ BB is greater than any TMA BB...period. Duh...

Its because traditional martial arts are basically crap and for the most part fail to train correctly. I've got to go practice my Kiah's now.

that is spelled kia, because a bb in bjj is the hardest to get

Some guy I work with has a 12 year old son with a black belt in Karate.

Nuf said.

^^^Exactly as it has been since the Karate Kid craze of the 80's

Aasen...if your Kia has no "H" in it then you are breathing wrong...this is common with most begginers. If you want to learn I do have an opening for a pupil. You will have to journey to my home and wait outside my door until I am certain of your willingness to begin training.

"Jack, are you trolling or really new here?
go watch ufc 1-5. then get back to me on TMA black belts"

look into the history of the UFC. They were set up by Rorion to be an infomercial for gracie jiu jitsu so they could make money in the USA. The opponents were handpicked and even then royce almost got his ass handed to him by kimo, a practically untrained street fighter. Once it opened up a little and real fighters from other disciplines started coming into the picture, bjj still played a role but it was much diminished. Hell, even a WWF-style wrestler in Japan (sakuraba) put a whuppin on the entire gracie family.

Chuck has a black belt in kenpo. He's kicked all kinds of ass in the UFC, yet no one mentions it.

Hell, maybe if kimo hadn't had a pony tail for royce to grab onto like a little bitch, the mma world might now be training in joe-son do.

Have you ever trained BJJ?

1st, because BJJ basically got the ball rolling in terms of the UFC. Of course there is more to the game now, but it was the spark.

2nd, its something for the announcer to say that gives you a little perspective on the guy, similar to saying "he was a D1 wreslter", "he has boxed professionally/golden glove", "world class judo player" etc. Some people in the audience actually have a clue what these things mean and like to hear them about the fighters. It gives you an idea where they are coming from.

3rd, Chuck has a black belt in Kenpo, but it is such a limited, high quality, unique style of kenpo that mentioning that would confuse the average moron fan who thinks that it is the same kind of kenpo they teach down at the local strip mall.

They talk about Chuck's Black Belt in Kenpo all the time (not as much anymore because everyone pretty much knows).

They talk about GSP's black belt in Kushkin(sp) and Karo's in Judo... The Crow's TKD background was often talked about.

But at any rate BJJ is the reason the UFC exists, and it's one of the most difficult arts to get a black belt in. So of course that gets discussed more.

Why there is a hate on BJJ.

It proved itself very well in early UFC, and no one would consider getting into MMA without some BJJ, or whatever else they want to call it.

BJJ is a grappling art , as is a NCAA wrestler or a BB in Judo which they also announce .

who cares if he is a BB in TKD or JKD ,karate ,Krav magra or some other unrelated art.

Because BJJ and Judo are the only two styles of martial arts with a belt ranking system that are effective in MMA. Therefore, they are the only two worth mentioning.

Because BJJ > *

"BJJ is a grappling art , as is a NCAA wrestler or a BB in Judo which they also announce .
who cares if he is a BB in TKD or JKD ,karate ,Krav magra or some other unrelated art."

I had no idea the UFC was a grappling contest and all martial arts that are not grappling arts are unrelated. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think the refs need to do something about all of that illegal striking going on then. I mean, how the hell can they allow it in a grappling contest????

"Because BJJ and Judo are the only two styles of martial arts with a belt ranking system that are effective in MMA. Therefore, they are the only two worth mentioning."

I see. So there have been no strikers with belts in tkd, kenpo, etc... that have ever been effective in mma? I already gave chuck as an example. How about mo smith? jason delucia? patrick smith? frank mir?

12 is actually old for a BB in TKD. If he was a Grandmaster it would be something that is worth mentioning.

"12 is actually old for a BB in TKD. If he was a Grandmaster it would be something that is worth mentioning."

you really only see that in mcdojos that are interested in nothing more than making money and creating a family atmosphere and maybe competing in point tournaments. I doubt you'll see that in any real school that takes its art seriously.

"jason delucia? patrick smith?"

Wow, first you say these fighters were handpicked by Rorion then you use them as examples...

But to answer anyway, they only announce real skills.
BJJ black belt, all american wrestler, judo black belt, pro boxer, et all.