Why do we look so forward to "past prime" fights?

I was wondering why I am so stoked for the Bellator HW Grand Prix Tourney and seeing guys like Fedor, Chael, Rampage, Mir, Big Country, etc. fight again. In fact, I'm usually at least curious for most fights between any past prime fighters, if they were guys I remember watching from the early days that had success.

Screw the Bellator haters - I can't wait to see who wins this Bellator Tourney.

But why do some of us look forward to these fights when we know in advance full well we won't be watching "greatness" anymore? Or, is there a "greatness" in just watching some of these guys who still have just enough left in the tank to at least compete?

Because those guys are known names. They're individuals. They're not bland. I'd rather watch a past-his-prime fighter I know that a great one I don't. If I want to watch random people fight, I'll watch streetfights on YouTube.

Many of them are also simpler better than the fighters today, or at least were in their primes.

Soul Gravy - Because those guys are known names. They're individuals. They're not bland. I'd rather watch a past-his-prime fighter I know that a great one I don't. If I want to watch random people fight, I'll watch streetfights on YouTube.

Many of them are also simpler better than the fighters today, or at least were in their primes.

Good points. There's something about name recognition that goes a long ways.

Nostalgia

There's something to be said for a lifetime of skill & training in the trade.
These are stories that span more than a decade.
When most of them began training it was in preparation for far less rules, many times no holds barred.

For the most part, today's rosters are kids that watched unified rules with gloves.
They walk in far more knowledgeable, with stricter regulation & refereeing.
Statistically speaking it's more dangerous to get on a motorbike.
So it's a combination of a long, storied past, nostalgia surrounding it, and the last of those who trained for NHB but found themselves the pioneers of the modern era of MMA.

Nostalgia, maybe. Also big personalities. I personally don't feel as emotionally invested in a lot of the newer guys.

Because it's a HW Grand Prix Baby! ..

Even though 4 of the fighters aren't actual Heavyweights, and all but Mitrione are past their primes.

Bader isn't past his prime.

i was same with pro wrestling. dont care if Taker or Flair or Piper or Hogan are old, still watched em. and would rather watch them than todays product. lucky for us mma still has some of both. good stuff toady and legends still kickin it!

and yeas pumped for this GP. just wish it wanst so spread out. 3 events woulda been best. 1st round, 2nd round, then finals. that 1st round card woulda got so much attention and talk if all were same night. but oh well, still fun.

Becaiuse there are so many sub par fights in the UFC now with no name generic fighters I have no clue who they are.

Chael has been fighting since Conor was 8 years old.

Nostalgia

familiar names

former heroes

we hope theyll still be good

People don’t take change very well.

I always have a feeling of hope that they can recapture their former glory when I’m a fan of a fighter.