What’s causing this?
- The age-adjusted suicide rate in 2019 was 13.93 per 100,000 individuals .
- The rate of suicide is highest in middle-aged white men .
- In 2019, men died by suicide 3.63x as often as women .
- On average, there are 130 suicides per day .
- White males accounted for 69.38% of suicide deaths in 2019 .
- In 2019, firearms accounted for 50.39% of all suicide deaths .
researchers found that white older men had a higher burden of suicide compared to other race/ethnic groups (non-Hispanic Black, Hispanic, non-Hispanic American Indian/Alaska Native, and Asian/Pacific Islander) with a rate of 35.3 per 100,000 population. Despite a downward trend in suicide among older men of all other race/ethnic groups since 2007, rates have increased for white older men.