Why does going to church make someone good?

Was just reading the thread about the 17 year old kid who beat a WW2 veteran to death and one of the things that stuck out was the mother telling the judge that he was a good kid because he went to church.

I see this as a common element in many stories where someone killed another person or robbed someone or whatever.  The people that know him  often say shit like "I would have never imagined he could do something like this...he was a good person...good neighbor...church-going.....etc..etc..."

So why do people think that someone who goes to church regularly just has to be a good person simply because they go to church?

It doesn't. Jesus is a trick played on poor people. Phone Post 3.0

The same way a hunting dog, growing up with a full pack of trained hunting hounds, is usually going to behave the same way and have a disposition to hunt.

Someone primarily involved in something teaching proper morals and deeds especially with great frequency from a young age is expected to display those traits.

Whether your of faith or not statistically someone who whole heartedly is of faith is much less likely to commit crimes of any sort. (There are many who go to worship simply to put on a facade as well just so the general public THINK differently of them Phone Post 3.0

The Mitch Mitchell Experience - Nobody actually thinks that.. It's people trying anything to convince a judge not to lock their loved one behind bars. you should think things out before trying to stir shit up with dumb threads.. Phone Post 3.0

Kindly leave your strawman out of my thread please.  Thank you.  I'm not limiting it to someone pleading with a judge.  I hear it all the time from the killer's neighbors or family members  who are interviewed by reporters or shit like that.  Why do people in cases like this use the "he went to church" thing to imply that the criminal was previously thought to be a good person............... because he went to church?

Or in other cases, when someone is actually the victim of a crime, the neighbors might also describe them as a good person and often throw the "he/she went to church" line in there to support their assertion that they were a good person. 

Why does "he was a church going person" automatically mean they were a good person?

"Whether your of faith or not statistically someone who whole heartedly is of faith is much less likely to commit crimes of any sort. "

This is simply not true. 

Thinking someone goes to church means they're good is just as dumb as saying all religious people try to force religion down your throat. Phone Post 3.0

MMAhaiku - It doesn't. Jesus is a trick played on poor people. Phone Post 3.0

no that was mother theresa.

that cunt

Similar to college. Michael Browns parents said he was good kid because he was looking at colleges. Phone Post 3.0

Jeffrey Dahmer said in an NBC interview before his death that he had found Jesus while in prison and that if he had accepted Christ when he was younger he never would have killed those black guys and ate their dongs. Just saying.

it doesn't

kind of like how liking dogs doesn't make you a good person

gregbrady - it doesn't

kind of like how liking dogs doesn't make you a good person

Well fuck, that was my only chance of getting into heaven

Thanks a lot asshole!

The whole going to church thing is to portray the person as:

1) someone that obeys laws and is respectful, since after all, they are going to praise God on a weekly basis. Going to church, especially for certain denominations, is still seen in a romantic light, e.g., people all proper wearing their Sunday Dress, having tea and biscuits afterwards with the congregation

2) someone that is part of the community who is just like us. For all intents and purposes, America is still a "Christian" nation, or at least has Christian/Western norms. Saying that someone is going to church regularly is suggesting that this person is not crazy or out of the ordinary

Going to church is similar to the whole "quiet, mild-mannered, polite, and kept to himself" description that people say, after they've found out that a person is a serial killer.

angryinch -

"Whether your of faith or not statistically someone who whole heartedly is of faith is much less likely to commit crimes of any sort. "

This is simply not true. 

That was a ridiculous statement. Phone Post 3.0

You have to wake up early on Sunday to attend church. If you wake up early on Sunday, you can't stay up late blowing lines of cocaine off guys' cocks on Saturday night.

Ipso facto, church goers are better people. Phone Post 3.0

GettaJaab - You have to wake up early on Sunday to attend church. If you wake up early on Sunday, you can't stay up late blowing lines of cocaine off guys' cocks on Saturday night.

nope

To me it means that if they have attended church, they should have a moral compass. A basic idea of right and wrong. As opposed to someone born in a criminal environment who was never taught these lessons.

It's more shocking if a "good" church going person commits a crime, because they should know better.

GettaJaab - You have to wake up early on Sunday to attend church. If you wake up early on Sunday, you can't stay up late blowing lines of cocaine off guys' cocks on Saturday night.

What if you are still awake from the night before? Also, I run a business that people frequent straight after going to church. I smell booze on the breath of 10-20% of them.

I think going to church means: you like to be part of a gossip circle, you go there to be seen by others, you go there because you are ashamed of something bad you did, your family makes you, you are bored or lonely on Sunday morning, you are afraid you will be condemned to hell if you don't. Phone Post 3.0

By itself it doesnt make you good. Hopefully the church teaches Christian principles like love your neighbors and hopefully people actually follow this. It is obvious that the 17 yr old didnt unfortunately Phone Post 3.0

Good to see that everyone kept their judgements to themselves and answered the question. Phone Post 3.0

rRooster -
GettaJaab - You have to wake up early on Sunday to attend church. If you wake up early on Sunday, you can't stay up late blowing lines of cocaine off guys' cocks on Saturday night.

What if you are still awake from the night before? Also, I run a business that people frequent straight after going to church. I smell booze on the breath of 10-20% of them.

I think going to church means: you like to be part of a gossip circle, you go there to be seen by others, you go there because you are ashamed of something bad you did, your family makes you, you are bored or lonely on Sunday morning, you are afraid you will be condemned to hell if you don't. Phone Post 3.0
My sister decided she wanted to be Christian in the last few months of last year, I think mostly to meet men in her small Colorado town.

I drove up for her baptism and we partied hard the night before. My cousins and some other kids showed up for the sacred rite still pretty blasted, whiskey breath and coke brains.

So I agree. Fully. Phone Post 3.0